Definitive band of the 1970s

There's a few things going on here. One: I think a lot of you are confusing the definition of "definitive" with "best." Two: These choices seem largely skewed towards a single genre (mine included) of hard rock or metal or in between there, and there was clearly a lot more going on then that.

There's a few things going on here. One: I think a lot of you are confusing the definition of "definitive" with "best." Two: These choices seem largely skewed towards a single genre (mine included) of hard rock or metal or in between there, and there was clearly a lot more going on then that.

Not supposed to be a super serious thread but I guess what I was asking was "what's your favourite band of the 1970s that are largely considered to objectively have the greatest output of the decade?" <- but just look how wanky that question is. 

Obviously a lot more going on that just hard rock in the 1970s but even with my love of experimental/funk/punk/electronic/folk etc I still consider hard rock to be THE genre of the 1970s and I think secretly I did want a Sabbath VS Zeppelin thread. 

I didn't mention the Beatles because it was basically done right in the beginning of 1970, otherwise this would have been an easy choice!

Totally forgot Queen in my list! Bohemian Rhapsody as probably the best song of the whole 70's is enough to make the list!

So, it's Sabbath, Queen & Zeppelin for me!

I'm a huge fan of a lot of 70s music...but something HAPPENED that decade where rock and roll turned into the whitest fucking thing ever. I blame arena bands.

I don't want that to detract from what I think are some of the best written/performed/arranged rock songs ever. No matter how many times I hear "Billion Dollar Babies," it still gives me chills, and I am not a fan of Donovan in general.

I also think a lot of music sounds a lot more stiff and forced these days.

Can were more like definitive to shaping music after their time. Such a crucial band.

Sorry, should have clarified that I mostly meant defining in the sense that when I think of kick ass bands from that era, they are up at the top for me. My fault. I understand how their popularity has risen more over the years but still thought I would toss their name out there.

I love Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath too, but for the sake of the discussion at hand, Led Zeppelin > Black Sabbath eternally.

Fun topic. I worked at a flea market as a teenager in the 90s and there was mountains of vinyl. You could get all of this stuff for about $3 each and I often took my pay in records. I got heavily into 70s rock before grunge/alternative broke because I didn't like much modern music at the time.

1. Led Zeppelin - easily my top choice for so many reasons

2. Aerosmith - super uncool to like them but I LOVE five of their six albums from the 70s. 

interchangeable. They all have great stuff and bad stuff in the 70s

3. Alice Cooper

4. Deep Purple 

5. Black Sabbath

Pink Floyd - would've ranked higher 20 years ago but I just don't dig them like I used to

Queen - see Floyd, but the opposite

The Who - too hard to rate just based on the 70s output but Who's Next was up there with the best albums of the decade

AC/DC - bought most of their albums but they're a one trick pony to me and I just don't like them much

Kiss - have never been able to get into them one bit but I find the makeup aspect interesting and had I experienced their heyday as a youngster, I wouldn't be surprised if I'd have been drawn in

Springsteen- doesn't usually get lumped in with the above but if The River would've snuck into the 70s, he'd probably be third on my list

Lynyrd Skynyrd - bunch of good albums that I never listen to

Jethro Tull - tried to get into them but the stuff I liked was few and far between

Blue Oyster Cult - same as Tull