Speed box

I'm looking at upgrading my Pro-ject Debut III with an acrylic platter, Ortofon 2M red cartridge & a speed box. I'm looking for some feedback on the project speed box s any opinions welcomed....

Those upgrade are going to total more than your turntable originally cost! I'd suggest to sell the Dedut III and just buy a better table, but there's not a lot (if anything) worth upgrading to in the ~$700(new) price range. But you might be able to get a great deal on something used.

Those upgrade are going to total more than your turntable originally cost! I'd suggest to sell the Dedut III and just buy a better table, but there's not a lot (if anything) worth upgrading to in the ~$700(new) price range. But you might be able to get a great deal on something used.

Haha, that's exactly what I wanted to write before I got distracted... So... this ↑

Yeah I've considered a new turntable but funds dictate at this moment so thought of gradually upgrading my Debut III...speed box & cartridge top of my list.

Yeah, but the cart, platter and speedbox would total $354. You can get at least $250 for your Debut III. That gives you $600+ to work with.

Spend $500 of that on an RPM1 Carbon, you'll get the 2M Red, you wont need a speedbox because the pulley is easily accessible, you'll have an upgraded platter, a better motor and a MUCH better tonearm and you'll save $100.

It's a no-brainer really...

I got a Speedbox for my Debut Carbon recently and I really really like it. Switching the belt was never really a huge hassle for 45 rpm LPs that needed it, but rarely did I find that the effort was worth it in the case of 45 rpm 7" records. The Speedbox has given me more stable rpm - I was getting 33.4 and 45.1 with some very light flutter before hooking it up and now speeds are perfect and consistent. I also don't find listening to 45 rpm 7"s as needlessly tedious as I did before.

• 4 months later...

I've been looking around for a while and am a bit confused about the speedbox. I have a Pro-Ject Debut Carbon DC and the listings for the speedbox say it does not work on the DC model, but I've heard of other people saying they do use it... unless they're confused.

Anyone know if that is in fact the case? If not, is there a speedbox-type-device for the DC model?

pretty sure if you plug a Debut Carbon DC into a speedbox, it's not going to work.  The specs indicate that it is compatible with the 16v AC motor in the original Debut Carbon.  The specs on the Debut Carbon DC say that it uses a new 9v AC motor.

That said, they use the same DC/AC generator that's in the speedbox.  The only other benefit is the speed switching.

pretty sure if you plug a Debut Carbon DC into a speedbox, it's not going to work.  The specs indicate that it is compatible with the 16v AC motor in the original Debut Carbon.  The specs on the Debut Carbon DC say that it uses a new 9v AC motor.

That said, they use the same DC/AC generator that's in the speedbox.  The only other benefit is the speed switching.

Okay, I was thinking this was the case, I was just hoping it wasn't. Gotta switch speeds the old fashioned way, like some sort of peasant now. 

For what it's worth, I wish I would have taken some of the advice posted a while ago here and just saved some money on upgrades to my turntable and put the money into a better turntable.

Music hall 2.2, acrylic platter, 2M Blue, and speed box s. I love the sound and it holds speed pretty well on its own. But the speed box makes my tone arm vibrate when on 33 rpm. I don't notice any degredation in sound, but I'm sure that can't be good for my stylus or records.