Humming question

Since I got a new turnable I've realized how little I know about them. When listening to my records through my headphones, I've notice a slight humming as soon as I turn on my receiver, before the needle is on the record. Is this a grounding problem possibly, or do I just need to upgrade my receiver? I have a pro-ject debut carbon and I'm pretty sure the grounding wire is connected properly. 

No, the turntable is not on top of the receiver. I don't hear it when I'm not using headphones. Also, I just barely touched the tonearm while it was in the rest and the humming got louder.

It's not super noticeable when the music plays, or really at all, but I'm assuming I would probably tell a difference if it wasn't there at all.  

Sounds to me like you have a grounding issue. Does your turntable have a ground wire? If not then that might explain a bit. If so, it should be connected to the next piece of gear in your signal chain (e.g. phono preamp, amp/receiver with phono input, etc.). It's entirely possible it's picking up the noise from another component close by as well but it sounds like you have it separate from your other gear. You could also have a poor contact with your cartridge clips which could pick up hum or interference if you have your table set up close to speakers. I've seen that a few times before.

If the issue is noticeable only when you're using headphones then you might have an issue with your headphone input which isn't seating the headphone plug properly in the jack. Have you tried another pair of headphones? You could easily have an issue with the headphones themselves (e.g. a bad driver, bad/damaged internal wiring, bad connector/plug, etc.) which could also be causing it. I've seen this before as well.

Basically, you need to isolate the issue as best as you can. Start with the most simple and work up from there. If you keep coming back to the headphones being the only way you notice the issue, try another pair of cans to verify the issue remains regardless of what headphones are plugged in. Then it would be clear the issue lies either in your headphone input or the signal chain for that particular piece of gear.

What you described makes me believe the issue is either with your headphones or the input for your headphones but does sound like a type of "grounding" issue. Post back with more details and we might be able to help further but for now it's really up to you to start basic and work up from there until you notice and/or locate and fix the problem.

Could I jump in on this too? I have a Technics SL-1200. With it I'm using a Shure Whitelabel Cartridge and was running it through a Sony STRDE 405 receiver with Pioneer S-H352FK speakers. I noticed it was buzzing even when the turntable wasn't turned on I just picked up my Dad's old Marantz 2270 and hooked the turntable up to that and was still having some humming/buzzing as well. Not 100% sure where to start with figuring this out.

derek123 and victimofadriveby rspkt has run through pretty much all of the usual bits but just to add a bit more.

derek123

Can you hear the hum if you get close to the speakers with no music playing or is it just a headphone thing? And I take it you can't hear it with other sources like CD?

Firstly check every connection is good, invest in some contact cleaner and check the connections again. If you don't have a decent ground and this means the signal ground as well then your tonearm which always acts like an antenna will just send all the noise down the signal line.

If you know all the connections are good and clean and it's still there then if it's there in the speakers it's either in the phono stage or possibly the PSU on the turntable and without getting or making a better quality one of either it will be hard to get rid off, but if it's just a headphone thing then it's probably inside your amplifier and again will be hard to get rid of.

Victimofadriveby

As above check all the connections and especially any grounds plus get some contact cleaner but yours does sound a bit more like a general bad ground somewhere or interference from something like a wireless phone, ethernet over power line or something like that,

Victimofadriveby

As above check all the connections and especially any grounds plus get some contact cleaner but yours does sound a bit more like a general bad ground somewhere or interference from something like a wireless phone, ethernet over power line or something like that,

Thanks man. Just to make sure (dumb question) I'm not sure 100% what ground means in general. Connection from the turntable itself. I also have both my wireless router, cable router, and kitchen within 10 feet of everything. My apartment is smallish.

Thanks man. Just to make sure (dumb question) I'm not sure 100% what ground means in general. Connection from the turntable itself. I also have both my wireless router, cable router, and kitchen within 10 feet of everything. My apartment is smallish.

imagevif_5.jpg

The grounding wire comes out of your turntable along with the two RCA cables. If you're using a receiver that has a phono in (like the picture I found above), you should find a spot to attach the grounding wire (labeled GND). If you're still having trouble with this, take a picture of what's plugged into the back of your receiver for us.

If you don't have a grounding wire, that could be a problem. Though I'm no turntable expert...

Thanks for all the help. I actually noticed that my grounding wire had fallen loose. Whoops. So the problem is much better now, especially before the needle hits. But, when the needle hits the record, there is still a slight humming, but not bad at all. I'm pretty sure I just need to look into replacing my receiver. Had it for a long time, needs to happen.

• 2 weeks later...