Silvan Audio Kickstarter - check out the walnut plinth

Thanks for posting this. This is my project, and I'm excited to see it get some attention!

To be honest, we probably don't need another manufacturer of what Joel at Audiowood is doing any more than we need VPI and Rega and Clearaudio and Technics and Pro-ject and everyone else making what they make. This was an idea I had when my best friend was getting married and I wanted to give him something unique. I was looking for parts for that one when someone pointed me to Audiowood, and even though we're both doing a similar thing, my hope is that there are enough people out there that could get some satisfaction and happiness from either of our projects that we can both keep doing something we really enjoy doing.

I don't know that I'd know what to make of it either, but I'm happy to answer any questions if you guys have them.

Have a killer weekend!

Kent

Yes. When I was brainstorming the first one, a couple of friends said that if it came together, it sounded like something I could actually make more of and sell, so I started thinking about Kickstarter at that point, knowing I couldn't make a whole lot of them or do it efficiently without a better shop setup. Once I saw Audiowood, I had to consider whether that was still a good way to go. I decided it was still something I wanted to do because I've enjoyed it and think others could too. Like I said, I don't think we and Audiowood are stealing business from each other or anything - there's certainly space here, especially with the more advanced and larger masterpieces he's doing, and the other kinds of gear. Ultimately, if that isn't the case, he was the first that I know of to make and sell a lot of an idea both of us and probably a thousand other people have had, and I'll definitely respect that. :)

Definitely needs to be nice and dry, but it holds together with the same polyurethane the rest is finished with. The one in the picture on the project page, I actually dipped the bark in an inch and a half of poly all the way around a few times so that it could really penetrate. It's matte so that it doesn't make it look all plasticky, and it really holds together quite well.

Regarding ajxd's question above...and you'll forgive me if I don't see responses, as I don't do forums that much...this is a straight up rip-off of a design that I've been making and publishing since 2009: Barky the turntable.  This is my trademark design, and while I understand it may not be for everybody, it is unique and it was the first commercially available working turntable of this sort (Jethro Tull's didn't work!).  These Silvan folks are admittedly just taking my design and producing a commercial competitor, and they are probably learning that I'm not thrilled with that prospect.  Exact same parts kit, same concept, only difference is wood type change (which I've done on occasion) and a different brand of spikes (but, importantly, still spikes, an important visual design element in my design).

The original one can be seen at audiowood.com

Unlike these folks, I am an authorized Rega dealer who can back up everything I sell with lengthy warranties, and I've made hundreds of turntables over the last 6 years, none of which have had to be repaired to date (other than a factory faulty arm lift on one that was easily replaced by the client with some phone assistance).  

I've notified the Silvan folks that they're infringing on my design, and as of now, they are persisting with their Kickstarter thing.  I hope you folks will not support this sort of intellectual property theft in any way.  

Joel - Owner -Audiowood

At Crabwalker: not the point.  I welcome any and all comers who are real competitors and who are doing their own thing.  For instance, I love Woodsong, I love Vinyl Nirvana, and I love lots of bigger turntable makers.  Go VPI!  Go SOTA!, etc.

To illustrate the point...I'm pretty sure I should name my next turntable design "Silvan Audio Workshop Record Spinning Machine!"  What?!  That's not fair?!   :D

There are an infinite number of new turntable designs out there, so nobody needs to knowingly copy somebody else's design (as is documented above).

I guess we only need one car company. One tv manufacturer. One speaker company. Etc.

carbon copying somebody else's work isn't innovation.  

If you put forth the time and effort to build a small business based on an idea that you had and developed into a working product, you would probably be pretty pissed if somebody rolled in with a kickstarter campaign looking for hand outs to compete with you using your implentation.

Oh and to clarify. I get your side. But if your product is good and you've been doing it for awhile, then there is no reason to worry about a competitor entering the market place. Especially a competitor that admits he doesn't have the same resources you do.

My .02

Hey Crabwalker.  Yeah, I know what you're saying, but this is kind of my signature product, even if it not my "best" product.  As such, it is my brand identifier, and in fact it is on my business cards, the cover page of my website, and the cover of my "look book."  If they stole another of my designs i might not care so much, but before these folks bubbled up my company was THE company that made "tree stump turntables."  Silvan are muddying the waters, so to speak, and that is why copyright law exists in the first place.  

On the resources issue, I'm a small manufacturer too.  And just because they don't have resources now doesn't mean they won't at the end of their Kickstarter or down the road.  I will just do my best to make sure they don't get any resources from my design... ;)

But I understand your .02

Lol you certainly did speak your mind ajxd.

I had no idea that Audiowood existed, so I can see why Joel isn't pleased. It will be interesting to see if the Kickstarter runs its course. 

Thanks Weinerdog.  I filed a copyright complaint with Kickstarter, but at least initially they declined to act.  I also asked BoingBoing to remove their posts about this, and while they did modify and add to their posts, mentioning my pre-existing design, they didn't take the posts down.