Silvan Audio Kickstarter - check out the walnut plinth

I do not like Kickstarter. I do not like people ripping off small audio. the fact the guy was like "yeah, I saw them, still went for it"... NOPE.

I couldn't agree more.

People have been making audio equipment using widely available larger manufacturer parts for years, it's a HiFi cottage industry tradition, I've done it myself and currently spin my records on a turntable I made in this way which as far as I am aware is unique. So to my mind to just copy another small audio companies idea so blatantly and acknowledge the fact they have knowingly done so is wrong on every level I can think off.

I can only assume these people are struggling with the simple moral concept of seeing what's wrong with what they are doing which just makes it all the more disappointing.

Focusing on the issue as "you STOLE that idea, ya punk" allows the guy to put on blinders and miss the entire point.  His defense is "When I FIRST thought of the idea, I didn't know about Audiowood, etc" and he is using that to justify continuing with the project, in a sort of loophole of conscience, and he's adopted a gee-whiz attitude to guide him to his Kickstarter's finish line.

IMO, the more specific focus would be "when you find out that someone else has already done the exact same idea, you are ethically obligated to stop pursuing your own version, the end".  That decision to keep going, after he saw the Audiowood site, is the moment when the guy crossed over from a dummy to a culpable dummy and his "gee-whiz, man, I love your turntables and I'm in this for everyone and think we can all get along" attitude can't continue with full blissful ignorance if he's confronted with that specific moment as what is troublesome.

He seems to think that the convenient fact that he found out the idea had been done mid-planning for his own project is justification for just plowing through.  Whether he is sincerely ignorant is to be seen but that's his defense so far.

Focusing on the issue as "you STOLE that idea, ya punk" allows the guy to put on blinders and miss the entire point.  His defense is "When I FIRST thought of the idea, I didn't know about Audiowood, etc" and he is using that to justify continuing with the project, in a sort of loophole of conscience, and he's adopted a gee-whiz attitude to guide him to his Kickstarter's finish line.

IMO, the more specific focus would be "when you find out that someone else has already done the exact same idea, you are ethically obligated to stop pursuing your own version, the end".  That decision to keep going, after he saw the Audiowood site, is the moment when the guy crossed over from a dummy to a culpable dummy and his "gee-whiz, man, I love your turntables and I'm in this for everyone and think we can all get along" attitude can't continue with full blissful ignorance if he's confronted with that specific moment as what is troublesome.

He seems to think that the convenient fact that he found out the idea had been done mid-planning for his own project is justification for just plowing through.  Whether he is sincerely ignorant is to be seen but that's his defense so far.

Thanks guys for recognizing what is going on here.   :)  And just an update: Kickstarter is not removing the campaign, despite my filing a copyright complaint.  And I'm slowly getting word out to blogs and so on that this design is not original.  And lawyers have been contacted...

Comments have been removed. There was at least one positive comment on the Update post that is no longer there. I imagine they want this to be as quiet as possible and not even have supporters rattle the cage.

Actually, retract this.  I saw the positive comment is still there.  I looked at the Kickstarter on my phone and I couldn't find a comment attached to the post in the mobile version but it's still there in the regular desktop version.

• 2 weeks later...

Unless he adds some additional quantities there is no way the KS is going to make it. Over 3k short, and the most expensive turntable option that was there last week ($2250 I think) has been removed. No turntable options now can be pledged for.

I wonder if he's just trying to let it die a quiet death without having to appear he pulled the plug himself. 

• 2 weeks later...

Unless he adds some additional quantities there is no way the KS is going to make it. Over 3k short, and the most expensive turntable option that was there last week ($2250 I think) has been removed. No turntable options now can be pledged for.

I wonder if he's just trying to let it die a quiet death without having to appear he pulled the plug himself. 

Good catch.  It doesn't look like they'll make it unless they plan to get 3k worth of T shirt level contributions in the next 5 days.

• 3 weeks later...

looks like their funding was "unsuccessful" but based on their last update...it feels like they arranged to fulfill their turntable rewards on the side and then killed it on purpose to avoid having to deal with all the nickel and dime rewards plus whatever kickstarter's cut would be.  dirty pool but slick.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/898522200/silvan-audio-workshop?ref=nav_search

looks like their funding was "unsuccessful" but based on their last update...it feels like they arranged to fulfill their turntable rewards on the side and then killed it on purpose to avoid having to deal with all the nickel and dime rewards plus whatever kickstarter's cut would be.  dirty pool but slick.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/898522200/silvan-audio-workshop?ref=nav_search

Ah...good point about avoiding kickstarter's cut. I wonder how much that would have been on 10k or whatever they raised. When they removed the option to pledge for any turntable well before the funding period it was obvious what they were up to.