Hail to the Theif Captiol vs. Parlaphone

I just ordered Coldplay's Parachutes and Rush of Blood from Amazon. They were listed as Parlophone, so we'll see what I get. 

A couple month's ago some 3rd party seller on Amazon had X&Y for $3.66 (probably a pricing error) and it shipped form UK and was Parolophone.  It's one of the best sounding records I own.  

I took HTTT capitol back to BN counter and said "not sure what we can do on this since I opened it .. But side b is very noisy. Do you guys have a tt perhaps?"

Guy was cool, refunded no problem. Obviously a YMMV experience, but B&N has decent customer service in my dealings.

Amazon is less risky return wise though, no doubt. In fact they will probably tell you to keep the refunded record.

Lloyd Center had another HTTT but it looked just like the one i was returning. May try amazon before importing a Parlo HTTT from some cool vendor on discogs.

I took HTTT capitol back to BN counter and said "not sure what we can do on this since I opened it .. But side b is very noisy. Do you guys have a tt perhaps?"

Guy was cool, refunded no problem. Obviously a YMMV experience, but B&N has decent customer service in my dealings.

Amazon is less risky return wise though, no doubt. In fact they will probably tell you to keep the refunded record.

Lloyd Center had another HTTT but it looked just like the one i was returning. May try amazon before importing a Parlo HTTT from some cool vendor on discogs.

My BN are d*cks about vinyl returns; no different from trying to return a CD to them and look at you like you're a crook. So I'm pretty much bypassing BN in-store purchases from here on out.

Discogs says on eeny of 2008 Parlophone OKC:

D 8552291 IA NODATA 02 A-1-1-

I make out:

D 8552291 IA NODATA 02 A-1-1-

Also see: vinyl Blair

I like you you are a wonderful person

Pic: https://twitter.com/wynams/status/582633877740482560?s=09

Cool thanks, I was more interested in Amnesiac though. Specifically whether or not it had the hand scratched message as well.

Will get a pic of Amnesiac in the sun tomorrow.

See the following on side A:

BC 80243-0^

A1 MK 532765^

Note: The ^ symbol looks like a capital 'A' without the horizontal line. The caret is closest character I could see to use here.

Hope this helps, can write out sides b-d tomorrow as well.I do not see the hand scratched messages though. Odd.

Will get a pic of Amnesiac in the sun tomorrow.

See the following on side A:

BC 80243-0^

A1 MK 532765^

Note: The ^ symbol looks like a capital 'A' without the horizontal line. The caret is closest character I could see to use here.

Hope this helps, can write out sides b-d tomorrow as well.

There we go. That pressing did not use the original Parlophone plates that we're talking about, even if it is a Parlophone repress.

If you want the original pressings that use the original plates for Kid A, Amnesiac, and Hail to the Thief you'll have to track down original pressings. What is showing up over here is just what Parlophone had circulating the European market. Only the original OK Computer plates are still being used.

The best identifiers [of sealed copies if you can't look at the dead wax] for the definitive copies seems to be whether or not the EMI logo is in the top right corner of the Kid A / Amnesiac white bar code rectangle and the original Hail to the Thief lacks the sticker on the front of the jacket.

Edit: If you want the best sounding OK Computer, it is a 100% chance if you order from Amazon.co.uk

There we go. That pressing did not use the original Parlophone plates that we're talking about, even if it is a Parlophone repress.

If you want the original pressings that use the original plates for Kid A, Amnesiac, and Hail to the Thief you'll have to track down original pressings. What is showing up over here is just what Parlophone had circulating the European market. Only the original OK Computer plates are still being used.

The best identifiers [of sealed copies if you can't look at the dead wax] for the definitive copies seems to be whether or not the EMI logo is in the top right corner of the Kid A / Amnesiac white bar code rectangle and the original Hail to the Thief lacks the sticker on the front of the jacket.

Edit: If you want the best sounding OK Computer, it is a 100% chance if you order from Amazon.co.uk

How can you say 100%?

Genuinely curious. 

What if the stampers were duplicated for represses of Amnesiac and Kid A? A direct comparison needs to be done between OG pressings and later Parlophone repressings. I don't expect anyone to have both though. 

also maybe the thread title should be corrected and changed

Huh? You can't just duplicate stampers with different information in the dead wax. Stampers are created with plates which are created with acetates which are cut from the master tapes. Different stampers mean everything is different. They very well could sound the same, but there is really no information directly comparing the two of them.

Yeah, I made a mistake and corrected my post. Sorry. There's an unlikely chance that both records came from the same source, but it still might be worth testing both of them to spot any sound differences (if anyone happens to have both).

Honestly at this point it may be worth just going on Discogs and spending the ~$40 to get 100% confirmed original pressings of the records, to avoid the headache of trying to get lucky with a new pressing that sounds just as good. 

Yeah, I made a mistake and corrected my post. Sorry. There's an unlikely chance that both records came from the same source, but it still might be worth testing both of them to spot any sound differences (if anyone happens to have both).

Honestly at this point it may be worth just going on Discogs and spending the ~$40 to get 100% confirmed original pressings of the records, to avoid the headache of trying to get lucky with a new pressing that sounds just as good. 

No need to apologize! And I agree fully with your second paragraph. I also urge everyone to not sleep on OK Computer in case that one becomes scarce as well. Who knows what happened to the other three records plates.

Thanks for all the info zoid'

I am still happy w sound of amnesiac, but would be interested to have someone point out differences.

No sun in Portlandia today, but here's the rest of the runouts for my Parlophone stamped discs of Amnesiac...

Side a:

532765^ BC80243-01 A^ MK

Side b:

532765^ BC80243-01 B^ MK

Side c:

532766^ BC80243-02 C^ MK

Side d:

532766^ BC80243-02 D^ MK

I cannot find anything remotely close to my version on discogs.

No need to apologize! And I agree fully with your second paragraph. I also urge everyone to not sleep on OK Computer in case that one becomes scarce as well. Who knows what happened to the other three records plates.

Is this the .co.uk OKC you were talking about? Says Mute as the label wtf?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ok-Computer-VINYL-Radiohead/dp/B000007UTN/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1427831382&sr=8-2&keywords=radiohead+vinyl