PO: Son Lux - Bones - Out 6/23/15

Son Lux, the brain child of beat wizard Ryan Lott, is back as an official trio, with a new album and a new song. The album is called Bones and was co-written and recorded by Lott with drummer Ian Chang and guitarist Rafiq Bhatia.

The first single from the album, "Change Is Everything," is vintage Son Lux, with a startling mix of chopped up rhythms and sonic curiosities set against lyrics that are both grand and minimal.

Bones is due out June 23 on Glassnote records.

Additionally - I asked him about a physical release of Eleanor Rigby two nights ago and he said nothing planned for now. He said licensing on the soundtrack side of things is just a beast that he isn't going to deal with now. He's always very focused on the current project, so don't expect it anytime soon.

New song was a bit disappointing for me. Live with Rafiq and Ian, the music was very different from the record. in a good way. so much crazy experimental stuff. lots of improvisation. this new song has no apparent presence of real drums or guitar (though there's probably guitar with some weird modulation going on) . I'm not going to base the whole album off the first song I hear but I was expecting a much different direction based on the live show and the conversation I had with Ryan about the new writing direction. 

Additionally - I asked him about a physical release of Eleanor Rigby two nights ago and he said nothing planned for now. He said licensing on the soundtrack side of things is just a beast that he isn't going to deal with now. He's always very focused on the current project, so don't expect it anytime soon.

He's replied to a few facebook inquiries that a very limit vinyl press might happen at some point. I personally liked the soundtrack more than most of his other work so I would be very excited if it eventually does happen.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I checked it out and Idk what's wrong with me, but ever since I saw these guys live last year, I really only enjoy Walls&Mazes and We Are Rising. Darn expectations had me expecting something different than this new album. Maybe it will grow on me. It's not bad and it still sounds like Son Lux. I just can't get over how great the live experience was vs studio recording. 

• 2 weeks later...

Managed to buy a clear Bones on discogs for $18 ppd. Waiting to celebrate until it gets here and I take a look at it.

Jumped at it too. There's one more left, ya'll!

Although collectors-choice on discogs seems to be one of those sellers who are like "WE CAN'T CONFIRM COLOR OF VINYL" and only list it under the color vinyl listing. There is no black vinyl listing for Bones...