Boys Go To Jupiter, To Get More Stupider.

the vast majority of even entry level job postings require some sort of bachelor's degree. i'm not saying it's right, or that people without a degree are less qualified, but that's just the way the world is. i personally think that a lot of the time, real world experience is just as helpful if not better than having a degree. learning a trade and going to trade school is one excellent way of getting a good job with a good salary and circumventing a traditional 4-year college degree. in fact, i think that more kids should be encouraged to take this route.

In regards to the comment about the only way to get a decent job is a college education I guess a big part of that is what do we want to define decent paying job as.  College opens up a lot of doors and avenues but there are a lot of ways to make a fair / good living.  I'm sure that I am making more than a lot college graduates out there, and I'm sure that I make a lot less than a lot of college graduates.  I'll definitely agree that people with a college degree have a lot of doors opened to them that us non college degree holders have.  

Don't get me wrong I'm not saying people shouldn't be going to college, my biggest regret in life is not going to college out of high school.  However if I would have went to college to be a teacher I wouldn't be in a better financial position as I am now.  

So yeah college is great, Technical Colleges are probably one of the best values for your money out there.  However, you don't "need" a college degree for a decent paying job.  (obviously depended on what your definition of decent is) 

There are stupid people in college and stupid people not in college. Your point is as moot as they come man. Plenty of people have busted their ass without college and ended up with nothing to show for it. It doesn't make you better either way.

I agree with the bold above. My point, was exactly what it was, my point of view, you think its moot, thats your point of view. Fair game. 

In regards to the comment about the only way to get a decent job is a college education I guess a big part of that is what do we want to define decent paying job as.  College opens up a lot of doors and avenues but there are a lot of ways to make a fair / good living.  I'm sure that I am making more than a lot college graduates out there, and I'm sure that I make a lot less than a lot of college graduates.  I'll definitely agree that people with a college degree have a lot of doors opened to them that us non college degree holders have.  

Don't get me wrong I'm not saying people shouldn't be going to college, my biggest regret in life is not going to college out of high school.  However if I would have went to college to be a teacher I wouldn't be in a better financial position as I am now.  

So yeah college is great, Technical Colleges are probably one of the best values for your money out there.  However, you don't "need" a college degree for a decent paying job.  (obviously depended on what your definition of decent is) 

well said.

You said:

and I believe you do not need to have a degree to have a decent paying job/to be successful. Maybe because I did it by busting my ass, I have the thought process wrong.

You can see why I got confused about what you were trying to say there. Regardless, doesn't look like we're going to totally agree on this one but can on some levels. I'm not blind, I know the education system here is fucked and loans/interest on loans are disgusting. I worked with a girl who was chipping away at over 90 grand in school debt. I know the realities. I know she's still a waitress and will probably die with some of that debt. Too many kids sign up for the immediate gratification of money and don't think about what's going to happen in 5 years.

Realistically, I think that more people just need to come up with a good plan on what they want to do for their lives.  I know quite a few college graduates who are working jobs not related to their degrees and making very little money.  An example is a friend with a Psychology Degree who is now working entry level jobs in unrelated fields because her degree is almost useless.  

It's all about actually taking time to try and come up with a realistic path for your career, degree or not.  

i have a degree in art (lololol. i know.) working in a totally unrelated field, but i managed to pay off all my student loans and my car, and save up a sizable downpayment and just recently purchased a house. howeverrrrrr, i did this all by living at home after i graduated. everyone's career/life path is different. as long as you have a way to get yourself out of debt, or maintain steady income to support yourself and your family, you should do whatever is best for you and your individual situation! i guess what it boils down to is that generally speaking, having ANY sort of bachelor's degree makes you more marketable and it's easier to get a job.

One of the other advantages to College Degrees that haven't been mentioned is that it is so much easier to change jobs and keep your wage or improve upon it.  You have a piece of paper that is a marketable asset.  I don't and I know that I means that I'll have a harder time moving from job to job.   I know that if I changed my job right now I'd most likely need to be taking a 10-15% pay cut.  

, having ANY sort of bachelor's degree makes you more marketable and it's easier to get a job.

I brought that up in my last post, I do understand it.  

I'm curious as to what sort of range you define "decent paying job" as.  Especially since you earlier stated thata degree is almost necessary to get a decent paying job.  I am not trying to gauge what wage range your in just what sort of pay range you define as decent.

For real, I moved out at a very young age, I knew I wasn't going to go to school. I worked and life sucked and I was broke. I gained experience and now I am a homeowner with some disposable income. I have friends who are college educated and make nothing close to what I do, I also have friends who make more than I ever will. It's life, it sucks.

I think what allison meant… a decent job is relative to the goals you have for your life. being comfortable. if kids are a goal of yours, you need to make enough to support them. I don’t want kids so that’s one chunk of money I don’t factor into my life plan.

For real, I moved out at a very young age, I knew I wasn't going to go to school. I worked and life sucked and I was broke. I gained experience and now I am a homeowner with some disposable income. I have friends who are college educated and make nothing close to what I do, I also have friends who make more than I ever will. It's life, it sucks.

Yup, when I was 18 I was out of the house with no option of going back.  I made the only decision I thought that I had at the time which was to get a job with upside in the manufacturing industry.  Since I've started their I've doubled my salary.  As importantly I've gotten enough experience in enough areas to make sure that I am a marketable asset if I need to find another job.  As I stated earlier I know that if I do need to move jobs I will probably take a step or two backwards wage wise.

College was jammed down my throat all through Middle and High School. 

I wish I had this, my parent always told me I'd never be able to afford college.  They did tell me that if I wanted to go to a Tech School I'd need to go out and get a job for a few years to be able to try and afford it.  

In school college was brought up once and a while. So were student loans, I just trusted my parents and thought I'd never be able to afford it.  

I think what allison meant… a decent job is relative to the goals you have for your life. being comfortable. if kids are a goal of yours, you need to make enough to support them. I don’t want kids so that’s one chunk of money I don’t factor into my life plan.

exactly.

i alluded to that in an earlier post. i don't make a lot, but i don't want a big house or a fancy car, etc.

my parents were supportive of whatever I wanted to do.

I think this is important. If you have the support behind what you want to do, that could make all the difference.

@Oswald - I'm sorry your parents instilled in you that you could never afford additional education. If that's what you wanted to pursue but didn't.