Soon: Glassjaw - Everything You Ever Wanted To Know About Silence (Reissue 2LP 180 Gram Vinyl)

Haha, sorry!  i just call em as i hear em.  i listened to about 4 or 5 tracks from their Ugly Organ album and they reminded me of Brand New a lot!  And i don't particularly like Brand New.  The Devil and God is really the only album of theirs that just ok in my book.  With the general theme that "everyone is entitled to their opinion" on this forum, people sure do get all up in arms whenever someone even remotely slams on a band they like.  Maybe seeing them live will change my opinion, and i'm open to that.  Am I really the only one that notices a striking similarity between the 2 bands?

Cursive existed well before Brand New. The Ugly Organ came out a month before Deja Entendu as well.

Haha, sorry!  i just call em as i hear em.  i listened to about 4 or 5 tracks from their Ugly Organ album and they reminded me of Brand New a lot!  And i don't particularly like Brand New.  The Devil and God is really the only album of theirs that just ok in my book.  With the general theme that "everyone is entitled to their opinion" on this forum, people sure do get all up in arms whenever someone even remotely slams on a band they like.  Maybe seeing them live will change my opinion, and i'm open to that.  Am I really the only one that notices a striking similarity between the 2 bands?

i think the people getting "up in arms" was more about the timeline of cursive being around before brand new. just doesn't make sense to say that they're a "wannabe" of a band that didn't release anything remotely similar until after the ugly organ came out.

edit: i think i agree with kjkenney, although i wouldn't knock jesse lacey that hard. cursive has done some rad stuff and so has brand new.

oh please, don't give me that timeline crap.  you all have to be kidding.  that's as if to say Cursive was CRUSHING the billboard charts in the 90s which is just plain false.  they didn't even hit the charts from what i'm reading until the release of... oh hmmmm Ugly Organ in 2003.  If Cursive was anybody in the 90s before Brand New came to be, I'd say you have a valid point.  But that simply is not the case.

oh please, don't give me that timeline crap. you all have to be kidding. that's as if to say Cursive was CRUSHING the billboard charts in the 90s which is just plain false. they didn't even hit the charts from what i'm reading until the release of... oh hmmmm Ugly Organ in 2003. If Cursive was anybody in the 90s before Brand New came to be, I'd say you have a valid point. But that simply is not the case.

I have no idea if BN has ever said they were influenced by Cursive (I honestly don't see them as similar bands, could just be Kasher's distinct vocals that set them apart), but if you are saying you think BN was only ever influenced by artists that cracked the Billboard charts then you are high.

i think the people getting "up in arms" was more about the timeline of cursive being around before brand new. just doesn't make sense to say that they're a "wannabe" of a band that didn't release anything remotely similar until after the ugly organ came out.

edit: i think i agree with kjkenney, although i wouldn't knock jesse lacey that hard. cursive has done some rad stuff and so has brand new.

oh def. Don't get me wrong, I love me some J Lacey, but Tim Kasher is the man.

Also, the "charts" are not in question. Kashers importance in the creation of Lumberjack Records, now Saddle Creek, has changed the indie rock world forever. He was rocking in 93 with Slowdown Virginia. If you're relating these bands to pop charts, you clearly don't understand the importance, relevance, and purpose of music subcultures. That's like saying Fugazi isn't important because they never had top charting albums.

I have no idea if BN has ever said they were influenced by Cursive (I honestly don't see them as similar bands, could just be Kasher's distinct vocals that set them apart), but if you are saying you think BN was only ever influenced by artists that cracked the Billboard charts then you are high.

that's not what i'm suggesting.  i feel that Brand New was a highly influential band to other bands around that same time that fit in to this particular node of the music world (i think everyone can agree there, right?).  of course they have their own influences too.  what i'm suggesting is that maybe... just maybe, Cursive adopted a noticeable amount of style from the sound that was making Brand New so popular.  i could be completely wrong, i'm not saying for certain that's true.  let's not pretend though that the timing of when 2 different bands form is indicative of whether or not one copied the sound of another.  all that said... i hope Cursive blows my doors off when i see them live in October.  i'm hoping so.  :)

I think its the wordage. Cursive had 3 full lengths and equal eps before Brand New existed. Brand New is a Cursive wanna be band :) Tim Kasher has done more for indie rock/emo than Jesse Lacey could ever dream of doing

except being more popular overall than Cursive has ever been.  say what you want, the record sales speak volumes.  if what you're saying is true, and it COULD be, Brand New took a sound that was good and made it awesome (through the ears of the group that is partial to this particular sound).  i wouldn't call that a copy.  i'd call that a "i see your Cursive sound and i raise you a Brand New".  this is all really just speculation.  and i can honestly say that you all here very likely know way more about this particular style of music than i do.  try to look at it from my perspective, imagining you're not a long-time fan of either of these bands.  i heard of Brand New back in the early 2000s but never actually listened to them until like a year ago, and never heard of Cursive before a few weeks ago.  from my chair, Cursive sounded to ME like a band that i'm not crazy about to begin with.

So the band you heard second, sounds like the band you heard first? Might have some sway on your opinion there, since you did not know Cursive existed way before Brand New.

Brand New: 2000–present

Cursive: 1995–1998, 1999–present

Who influenced who?

The world may never know.

You're right, no one knows.  What i do know is that they sound very similar to me.  maybe they influenced each other, idk... you guys are the experts here.  is it crazy to think that Cursive saw what Brand New started and wanted a piece of that?  the success of their 2003 release and the not-so-successful previous albums could back that up.  Or... alternatively, maybe Brand New opened up the previously existing sound of Cursive to become more successful.  i honestly can't say... i'd have to listen to their stuff pre-2000.

this is all really just speculation.

Exactly, so sit back down and let the adults talk.

You're right, no one knows.  What i do know is that they sound very similar to me.  maybe they influenced each other, idk... you guys are the experts here.  is it crazy to think that Cursive saw what Brand New started and wanted a piece of that?  the success of their 2003 release and the not-so-successful previous albums could back that up.  Or... alternatively, maybe Brand New opened up the previously existing sound of Cursive to become more successful.  i honestly can't say... i'd have to listen to their stuff pre-2000.

What did I just say?

So the band you heard second, sounds like the band you heard first? Might have some sway on your opinion there, since you did not know Cursive existed way before Brand New.

haha... well.  i really didn't mean to start a whole shitstorm there.  for the record, neither one of the bands are awful to me.  i have heard more Brand New than i have heard Cursive, way more.  I really tried to get into them and i do kind of like what they did with that Devil and God album.  Everything else just doesn't do much for me.