Discussion on Lyrics

I saw a discussion on this elsewhere, and I thought I'd see how it plays out here.

When it comes to how much I enjoy an album/song/release/whatever, I really only take it all in musically, only paying attention to the lyrics if I want to sing/scream/rap along.

How much do lyrics affect your music experience? What are y'all's thoughts/standpoints?

Edited by DarcX

Yeah, I guess my one slight exception is hip-hop/rap. There are a few MCs whose lyrics I don't care for that I listen to, but if the lyrics are really well-written I'll give it more listens.

I somewhat agree with heartbreaker, unless it's a folk-y sounding song, it kinda makes sense there

Awful lyrics can make me instantly hate a song, especially if the music sounds passionate and the singer has the writing skills of a third grader.  Also, complete abstraction in lyrics tends to bother me, just as it does in poetry.  Like others have said, when it comes to metal it isn't that important at all; though incredible lyrics will turn a great metal/hardcore band into my favorite band.  For example, I've loved American Nightmare since the first time I heard them, and after looking into Eisold's lyrics, I was blown away.  

In regards to rhyming in lyrical structure, I don't think it's uncreative by default, though I think it can be.  I could be a bit biased on this, as my lyrics tend to rhyme.

Lyrics used to be the most important thing to me, now with getting older (read, more busy) I have less time to actually sit and focus on music.  It's almost always on while I'm driving, or doing something around the house, etc.

And it is reflected in my tastes, when I was younger I'd be able to get into an album that wasn't the greatest musically if the lyrics were good.  I don't have as much tolerance for that anymore.

Regardless, lyrics are still very important to me.  I listen to and enjoy every genre of music to some extent.  There are certain lyrical styles that fit better with certain genres.  For instance, I don't mind rhyming as long as it's not used as a lyrical crutch, but when it comes to Rap/Hip-Hop/Urban/etc I definitely do have more tolerance for rhyming than I would in Rock or Metal.

I disagree with the sentiment that lyrics matter less in Metal genres... for me music is cathartic.  I need to be able to relate at some level in order for me to enjoy it.  That's not to say I need to have experienced the same thing, just that I can connect with the emotions that are being conveyed.  In something like Metal where the emotions are more intense most of the time, shitty lyrics can entirely kill the vibe.  Even at a more intellectual level... I used to be a causal fan of Emmure (let's keep this discussion lyrics based, not taste based ;) ).  It was always apparent that their vocalist/lyricist was a bit of a shithead, but we're all a bit of a shithead sometimes so whatever, there is a time and a place kind of thing.  However, their most recent album was very pro-violence in very literal way.  (for those curious, they had a song called "Bring A Gun to School" that was changed to "Untitled" right before it was released: http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/emmure/bringaguntoschool.html). After hearing the lyrics I couldn't listen to them anymore at all.

ronniegwilliams meantioned disliking 'complete abstraction" in lyrics.  I actually dig abstraction a lot (though I'm not sure what you mean by "complete" abstraction...).  Like I said, music is cathartic to me.  If executed well, abstraction can make it easier for me to relate at an emotional level with the music and lyrics.  To me, the kings of this are Chevelle.  The vast majority of the lyrics are uninterpretable. But, there is a very clear emotional presentation...

On the flip side, I often can't get into a song if the lyrics are too specific.  It usually means I can't relate and it kills it for me.