Discpedia.com a wiki for record collectors

A lot of people here, including myself, are interested in discovering new music and buying it on vinyl to listen to. While some folks are completists and look to collect a certain artist or label, I'm afraid you're going to limit your audience with the area of the vinyl community you are familiar with. I suggest you broaden your horizons when trying to encapsulate the vinyl community with your website. A lot of people will feel the same as we do here, which is unforunate since you don't seem to have the same outlook. More folks like us are going to be utilizing the internet rather than those who listen to pre-1970 used classical records.

You're right. When I was thinking of 'collecting' per se, I was thinking of what it meant to me. And that's mainly finding old, desirable, original releases, etc. For example, I try not to collect reissues. From what I've seen online there are plenty of people out there who think of it that same way (mainly who I've encountered on eBay--I suppose more of a collectible site than Discogs, which is more of a vinyl-listener-collectors' site) and that's why there are sporadic articles released here and there. But it seems like everyone here (and what seems like a majority of 'collectors') is most interested in, for example, using vinyl as their main music medium instead of CDs, etc.

Clearly, there's a lot of overlap, but at the same time a lot of differences.

I searched "Beatles" in the forums, and after finding a lot of confused people posting (wondering what they have, its value, etc.), was directed by this link to variations of "Introducing the Beatles": 

http://www.discogs.com/lists/Introducing-The-Beatles/136193

There are a lot of problems with this list... Maybe I can't find it, but it looks like the album sleeves shown don't have disc pictures and there are a few disc labels without jackets. There are no authentic stereo editions logged except for a rare example with a gold "stereo" stamp instead of a banner. There are two discs described as either "hard to judge" or "possibly genuine" (both are obviously genuine by the way...). Actually, one is a rare 45 label variant that occurred when VJ records ran out of 12" LP labels.

One of the things that people seem to be confused about here is that discs and their sleeves were made separately and put together as was necessary. All of the listings attribute a label style to a particular sleeve... but this is completely incorrect.

One of the easiest telltales is a patch of ink that is missing on the back cover from the second 'E' in "A Taste of Honey." This is general knowledge that can be picked up from guides or experience... but doesn't appear to be an easily accessible tip on Discogs (maybe it is somewhere hidden in a forum thread).

These are for me, the reasons that I never used Discogs and always referred to other, more specialized sites (ie online guides, and then to archives such as Popsike and eBay sold listings)

you know if there isn't something on discogs you want...you can just add it....like another pedia site.

Where would you put in a tip about the second "E"? Or that disc and covers aren't related?

I don't know, I just feel like there must be a reason why I've never found Discogs useful, and that there are probably others who feel similarly. Maybe not here... but from all the scattered articles I've read about specific aspects of certain records, etc.

For example, there are tons of articles like this:

http://www.high-endaudio.com/softw.html

It's full of very useful information... but it's also horribly written and very poorly formatted. It's the first result on Google, so it must be a popular website or webpage (ie there are people actively seeking the information in the article).

There is a comment section on EVERY release page.  You can leave any kind of tip or note you want on there.

But there is over 6 million different releases listed on that site...I think they have quiet a bit of detail already that is going to be hard to compete with.

I mean its a site with a large following compared to a random site you made one night when you were drunk....

There is a comment section on EVERY release page.  You can leave any kind of tip or note you want on there.

But there is over 6 million different releases listed on that site...I think they have quiet a bit of detail already that is going to be hard to compete with.

I mean its a site with a large following compared to a random site you made one night when you were drunk....

Like I said before, I never intended for it to compete with anything... I think that is the problem in the way a lot of you are looking at this. It would just be another resource with potentially useful information. I think tools work best when they're used together. I just thought it might be good to have information that is normally scattered all in one place. Instead of there being a crazy amount of comments attached to release pages, maybe one article that compiles all that information.

For example (maybe this is more specific to "Introducing the Beatles," but I can think of similar situations... among other things):

1. You get a SEALED "Introducing the Beatles." Right off the bat, pretty much all of the benefits of the Discogs list are thrown out the window because you wouldn't want to devalue the sealed record by opening it (another difference between different collectors). You can't look at the disc, so how can you tell if it's authentic? There are a couple references to George's shadow, but there are counterfeit releases with the shadow as well. What do you do?

2. You get a SEALED "Introducing the Beatles" and look up a guide or an article. Under the "Authentication" category, there's a tip about the "E" on the back cover. Now you have your answer. You go to Discogs, eBay, or Popsike and find what they're selling for.

...I wasn't drunk, and all sites have to start somewhere. It looks like you have a blog yourself... I personally can't understand the usefulness of a website that just displays a different album each day, but surely there are people that do if you're continuing to develop your site.

The point everyone is repeatedly trying to make is that any information you seem to think is incomplete or missing from Discogs is able to be added using the intuitive and comprehensive tools built into Discogs. This, on top of the size of its userbase, makes an upstart website that essentially brings nothing new to the table a pointless endeavor.

1. You get a SEALED "Introducing the Beatles." Right off the bat, pretty much all of the benefits of the Discogs list are thrown out the window because you wouldn't want to devalue the sealed record by opening it (another difference between different collectors). You can't look at the disc, so how can you tell if it's authentic? There are a couple references to George's shadow, but there are counterfeit releases with the shadow as well. What do you do?

oh come on now this is getting ridiculous

bottom line: most people here don't keep records sealed for multiple reasons. we are not your target demographic, we will not use your site. the end.

I can't tell you how many garage sales, etc. I've been to with buckets and buckets of records. It takes a lot of effort and knowledge to search through all of them. Before I started collecting, I went to many websites to figure out what was worth paying money for.

This is kind of the problem, though and why the internet is ruining record collecting. Now everybody is interested in the business side, when that was only a fraction of the collecting world before. Pre-internet, one had to learn how to identify different pressings, labels, significant artists, etc. You had to get familiar with everything to be good at buying records to sell. Now, everyone is an "expert". And that's bad because you have millions of people selling "minty" copies of records on ebay that are far from mint. People only care about the monetary side so that it benefits them to make money, not learn how to properly grade, identify first pressings from original pressings, etc. There isn't a art popsike to look up values. The last thing record collectors need is another site that tells them the value.

This is kind of the problem, though and why the internet is ruining record collecting. Now everybody is interested in the business side, when that was only a fraction of the collecting world before. Pre-internet, one had to learn how to identify different pressings, labels, significant artists, etc. You had to get familiar with everything to be good at buying records to sell. Now, everyone is an "expert". And that's bad because you have millions of people selling "minty" copies of records on ebay that are far from mint. People only care about the monetary side so that it benefits them to make money, not learn how to properly grade, identify first pressings from original pressings, etc. There isn't a art popsike to look up values. The last thing record collectors need is another site that tells them the value.

Isn't that kind of why a knowledge-based website, such as a wiki, would be good, not bad? I'm confused because this is what I was thinking the potential benefits would be.. teaching how to grade, identify pressings, etc. I'd actually written a couple articles about grading and identifying pressings.

I also like how the discussion from Saturday was all about the sonically superior pressings, now it's about sleeves and missing ink and 50 year old sealed Beatle records that no one wants to "devalue." But what do I know, I'm all about that hyperbole.

Funnily enough, "all about" is pretty much hyperbole... But yeah, that's the spectrum of record collecting.. from sonically superior pressings to identifying sealed Beatles records.

Whoever else said whatever else about not keeping records sealed, I agree. I did not realize there were such stark contrasts between different types of record collectors. At the same time, you can't deny that there are those out there who appreciate sealed records. 

That being said, I haven't been keeping tabs on this forum, and for whatever reason people are still continuing to post...