US Road Trip suggestions for British traveller

I would drive a couple of hours more and stay in Glenwood Springs over Grand Junction. They have a nice hot springs, and you can day trip to Aspen ans see the Maroon Bells. If it is open, take the longer rout to Denver over Independence Pass. Once in Denver, make a day trip to Estes Park and go over Trail Ridge Road.

Did someone say Austin? if you do decide to come through here on the way to Louisiana, by all means let me know. I can pretty much show you or at least send you a list of stuff to do here. New Orleans would be a great city to visit, Austin would be one of the only places i'd recommend around here that has anything interesting about it. San Antonio has some interesting culture, and you can see the alamo, but some of the best missions are about 3 miles south of there, which no one ever visits? :( Anyway, give me a heads up if you come through and maybe we can grab a drink or a bite to eat. 

Though it does seem no one really visits anymore. everyone just moves here. :(

I would drive a couple of hours more and stay in Glenwood Springs over Grand Junction. They have a nice hot springs, and you can day trip to Aspen ans see the Maroon Bells. If it is open, take the longer rout to Denver over Independence Pass. Once in Denver, make a day trip to Estes Park and go over Trail Ridge Road.

Great, thanks for the tip. Grand Junction is the only place we're not sure about - we picked it only because it's kind of halfway between Monument Valley and Denver. I'll definitely take a look at Glenwood Springs. Estes Park also on the list!

When is the trip?

Mid October.

Did someone say Austin? if you do decide to come through here on the way to Louisiana, by all means let me know. I can pretty much show you or at least send you a list of stuff to do here. New Orleans would be a great city to visit, Austin would be one of the only places i'd recommend around here that has anything interesting about it. San Antonio has some interesting culture, and you can see the alamo, but some of the best missions are about 3 miles south of there, which no one ever visits? :( Anyway, give me a heads up if you come through and maybe we can grab a drink or a bite to eat. 

Thanks for the offer! :) We're not going to be able to take in Austin on this trip, but it's on the agenda for the next one in a couple of years I think.

mid october will be cool, just be safe in the higher elevations in Utah and Colorado, especially if you've never really driven in snow/ice before

Cool, thank you for the heads up. I'm a pretty experienced driver but my girlfriend only passed her driving test about six months ago. I'll tackle the treacherous roads!

Do you think the road thru to Dever from Monument Valley via Grand Junction is likely to be pretty icy/snowy that time of year?

Cool, thank you for the heads up. I'm a pretty experienced driver but my girlfriend only passed her driving test about six months ago. I'll tackle the treacherous roads!

Do you think the road thru to Dever from Monument Valley via Grand Junction is likely to be pretty icy/snowy that time of year?

It shouldn't be bad. In mid October Independence a Pass and Trail Ridge Road will most likely be closed. That's not a big deal though. I-70 will be just fine. We're supposed to have a nice fall this year. Let me know if you come to Estes Park we can grab a drink or something.

Thanks all again for the suggestions. I have a much better idea of the trip now. It's basically Las Vegas to Grand Canyon to Monument Valley to Grand Junction to Denver.

So... suggestions for cool shit in Grand Junction and Denver would be great. Thanks.

go to denver first and stock up on dope because it's legal. then go to grand canyon and smoke it.

As much as I prefer the west coast over the east coast if you wanted to get the most out of your roadtrip and see lots of stuff east coast would be the way to go, there are so many cities that are back to back to back without having to drive through an entire state of desert *yeah im talking about you new mexico, suck it*. 

without having to drive through an entire state of desert *yeah im talking about you new mexico, suck it*. 

but coming from a country that's filled with rolling green hills and valleys, spending a whole day driving through a desert is a pretty big draw for me.

stay out of grand junction....either Glenwood or Durango/telluride works much better

we already booked somewhere in Grand Junction. It's cool though, it's just so we'll have somewhere to get drunk and sleep on the way to Denver

Need to ask for additional advice:

Record shop recommendations for above trip please (Vegas - Grand Canyon - Monument Valley - Grand Junction - Denver). I'm guessing there won't be much in the middle of this trip but if you guys know of some shack in the desert that only has like 10 records in stock that are all Navajo psychedelic cactus music demos or something, I'd like to know about it.

Mostly looking for recommendations in Vegas and Denver. Also recommendations for book shops if possible. And in Colorado, recommendations for, uh, those "recreational" places too please. Thank you again for your help!

Need to ask for additional advice:

Record shop recommendations for above trip please (Vegas - Grand Canyon - Monument Valley - Grand Junction - Denver). I'm guessing there won't be much in the middle of this trip but if you guys know of some shack in the desert that only has like 10 records in stock that are all Navajo psychedelic cactus music demos or something, I'd like to know about it.

Mostly looking for recommendations in Vegas and Denver. Also recommendations for book shops if possible. And in Colorado, recommendations for, uh, those "recreational" places too please. Thank you again for your help!

bumpy bumpy

100% back Mike as a great host and guide to ATX!

• 2 weeks later...