US Road Trip suggestions for British traveller

Starting to make holiday plans again this year and I want to go back to the US. A couple of years ago we drove from Seattle to Las Vegas, stopping off at Portland, Ashland, San Francisco, Cayucos and Los Angeles. It was an incredible trip and we'd like to do something similar again this year, but in a different part of the country.

Basically the West Coast was always my first choice for a US trip for the connections with music, literature, art, architecture etc. This has left me a bit stumped about other plans. Initially I was thinking something like starting in Vegas (where we finished last time), going through Utah then up to Colorado OR continuing through to Texas or something. Like I said, I'm stumped, and my US geography isn't great.

So, any recommendations for a 2/3 week roap trip through the US, any suggestions on cool cultural/music/literature/art/interesting things to see a huge bonus. thanks

A trip across the south could be cool, say Vegas to New Orleans. Or maybe Route 66 most of the way, you might be able to do Chicago to Austin. I'm not sure exactly where it starts and ends.

The Blue Ridge Parkway is supposed to really nice as well but it is on the shorter side and the coyotes aren't quite as cool. I assume you took the PCH the first time, otherwise do that. Best stretch of road we got.

I don't really leave Oklahoma very often (definitely don't come here) but when I visit Texas, I really really really enjoy Austin ! So if you do plan on visiting Texas then try and make it there. I'm sure there are a lot of other wonderful places in Texas but I haven't been yet.

I was thinking of Austin. I'll check it out, thanks.

A trip across the south could be cool, say Vegas to New Orleans. Or maybe Route 66 most of the way, you might be able to do Chicago to Austin. I'm not sure exactly where it starts and ends.

The Blue Ridge Parkway is supposed to really nice as well but it is on the shorter side and the coyotes aren't quite as cool. I assume you took the PCH the first time, otherwise do that. Best stretch of road we got.

Yeah we did PCH last time and I just loved it. To be honest I'd do the exact same trip again but since we don't get over there that often I'd like to see places I haven't been before.

I'll look into Blue Ridge Parkway, hadn't heard of it before.

Austin, TX to New Orleans, LA would be fun

Sounds good. New Orleans definitely on my list.

Starting to make holiday plans again this year and I want to go back to the US. A couple of years ago we drove from Seattle to Las Vegas, stopping off at Portland, Ashland, San Francisco, Cayucos and Los Angeles. It was an incredible trip and we'd like to do something similar again this year, but in a different part of the country.

Basically the West Coast was always my first choice for a US trip for the connections with music, literature, art, architecture etc. This has left me a bit stumped about other plans. Initially I was thinking something like starting in Vegas (where we finished last time), going through Utah then up to Colorado OR continuing through to Texas or something. Like I said, I'm stumped, and my US geography isn't great.

So, any recommendations for a 2/3 week roap trip through the US, any suggestions on cool cultural/music/literature/art/interesting things to see a huge bonus. thanks

If you start in Vegas you can head up to Zion, Grand Canyon, Lake Powell, into CO to Denver and down to the Sand Dunes then down to Dallas > Austin > Houston > New Orleans

Tennessee, Georgia, Alabama coast, Florida, and NC/SC might be worth considering too.

Edit: I apparently quote the OP when I'm tired.

When I said Coyotes, I meant cities.

oh, damn. I actually thought you meant coyotes!

If you start in Vegas you can head up to Zion, Grand Canyon, Lake Powell, into CO to Denver and down to the Sand Dunes then down to Dallas > Austin > Houston > New Orleans

Oh that sounds awesome, I'll check the routes now. thank you

If you come through the Midwest, Detroit has a bunch of stuff worth seeing. you could have a jam-packed few days with the Motown museum (music related!), two of the best museums in the entire country (the Detroit Institute of Art for pretty pictures, the Henry Ford for all manner of other super interesting things), the Heidelberg Project, Belle Isle (huge civic park with one of the oldest aquariums in the country, and some other neat architecture), and one of the largest collections of pre-Great Depression skyscrapers and lots of other beautiful architecture - the Guardian Building and a lot of other amazing buildings and theaters...basically anything designed by Albert Kahn is worth a look.

There's at least a solid couple of days right there, enough to make it worth a stop if you're passing within a few hours of Detroit anyway.

In fact, start here. Detroit, historically speaking, is a well-spring of American culture, where the synthesis of art, music, politics, industry, history, and more, had a ripple effect on not just this country, but the whole freakin' world. all places can have their charms, but if you want to see the real nitty gritty of what defines America in so many ways...Detroit, hands down. The blood and sweat and oil, creativity and industriousness, the ingenuity and intelligence that was the bedrock of so many of the highest aspirations of what America is supposed to be...I think it is among the most interesting and important cities of recent history. Easily. The Motor City, the Arsenal of Democracy, Motown.

• 2 weeks later...