Beatles "Please Please Me" Vinyl PCS-3042

I doubt very much It's a rare one it's mid 70's at the earliest and no later than early 80's as there is no barcode. These boys were quite popular so they pressed one or two of these.

The Capitol and boxed EMI logo's I suspect are part of the import sticker as neither are correct for any version of this LP. Underneath that sticker will be the normal Parlophone £ logo

If it was a 60's one it would have a flip back sleeve which this one does not so it's definitely a later re press. As has been suggested open it and play it, that re press was in print for a very very long time and they pressed a mountain of them, either way it will sound nice even the shittiest pressed ones still sound nice.

Discogs is your friend here, I know there are an amazing array of pressings of this particular LP but it's there somewhere, the import sticker makes it cool I suppose but I doubt rare, Capitol will have wanted to shift a few of these at the time and the sticker alone doesn’t make it a variant on it's own.

Also There are more than a few pages on the net that list out the pressings in very great detail so a little Google will go a long way.

You would probably be able to date it better from the record labels as there were a few changes on the silver and black re press labels, boxed and unboxed EMI logo's etc. amongst other things

• 3 weeks later...

This record would not have been shrink wrapped. If you ever find a shrinkwrapped copy of this, or any legitimate Beatles LP, run.

That's not to say the shrinkwrapping isn't legit. This was sealed/stickered by the distributor. Didn't leave the factory like that though, so that's debatably a reseal, which adds zero value whatsoever. Actually detracts from the value because it could easily damage the thin laminated jacket. (nothing like what record sleeves most of you here are used to)

The only positive is that being sealed prior to sale you still have a generally good idea of the condition of the record inside, even if it isn't truly a factory seal.

Crack that fucker open and see exactly what's inside. There's a good chance it was pressed using 60's era metal, in which case you've got yourself a bit of a score, I'd see a minty unplayed tube cut UK press of this vintage selling for $100 or so. Unfortunately, the really sought after copies of please please me aren't even called please please me.

Unfortunately, the really sought after copies of please please me aren't even called please please me.

Isn't the most sought after copy the 1st Parlophone black/gold label pressing of Please Please Me? Introducing the Beatles (assuming that's what you're referring to) doesn't net prices as high as that. 

Isn't the most sought after copy the 1st Parlophone black/gold label pressing of Please Please Me? Introducing the Beatles (assuming that's what you're referring to) doesn't net prices as high as that. 

Correct it's always been Please Please Me? and yes it would be a Stereo Parlophone black/gold label released in 63. Find that and it's big bucks, that label was used for the 1st 2 pressings in the UK then it was the black/yellow Parlophone label until the 9th or 10th pressings when they went to the black and silver EMI/Parlophone labels right up until the current round of re issues/re masters.

The one the OP has will be a 9th or 10th press black and silver EMI/Parlophone onwards

The 1st version of the US equivalent to Please Please Me was Introducing the Beatles which had a different track list came out in 64 on VJ and no Capitol pressings of any Beatles LP's were normal issue in the UK, they were either Parlophone up until the White album and then Apple from there.

Ironically if you buy one of the current Mono re issues they look a little too much like a UK black/gold Parlophone 1st pressing so I expect there will be a few aged ones of these being offered around to unsuspecting people thinking they are getting a bargain. At least the Stereo ones have a bit about them coming from a digital master on the back and I don't think they have flip back sleeves but I expect a few people will have already have been duped with one of those.

you're right, the gold label parlophone is extremely collectible and much more sought after in general. I should clarify, I meant most sought after for listening purposes - the one to have is Die Beatles. The reason I mention this is because if someone is looking for a parlophone listening copy, they most likely aren't going to care much which pressing it is, so one in this kinda shape would go for a nice price regardless of pressing year.

Oh yeah, because no one has ever resealed a record.

In fact, were records shrink wrapped back then? I have a feeling this record has not been sealed in shrink wrap for over 50 years. The printing would probably peel off by now.

I have an original pressing of Marty Robbins' More Gunfighter Ballads and Trail Songs that was still in shrink until I took it out about a month ago. That's a few years older than Please Please Me.

I have an original pressing of Marty Robbins' More Gunfighter Ballads and Trail Songs that was still in shrink until I took it out about a month ago. That's a few years older than Please Please Me.

Records were shrinkwrapped back well into the 1950s, sometimes as we know it with the shrink covering the entire jacket, other times the record inside was sealed in a polyethylene inner. (If you find old Columbia releases with a bag as an inner sleeve, that's what that is)

But, that all of course is talking about the U.S.

Records just were not shrinkwrapped over in the UK. In a lot of stores you essentially picked out a jacket and the disc/sleeve would be given to you by the clerk. Or the disc and sleeve would be in the open jacket, either one. Even up to about 15 years ago this was still the case.

Records just were not shrinkwrapped over in the UK. In a lot of stores you essentially picked out a jacket and the disc/sleeve would be given to you by the clerk. Or the disc and sleeve would be in the open jacket, either one. Even up to about 15 years ago this was still the case.

It's still the case now depending on where they were made

It's still the case now depending on where they were made

I imagine these are records manufactured for distribution in the UK. The practice didn't really start until records started being manufactured for the international market, which really is kind of a recent thing. They get shrinkwrappd records because that's just how they are made for everyone now in most cases :P