Android (OS)

This is my first Nexus and I'm in love with it. Low-light performance on it is really great. A lot better than I expected. And yeah, debloated is fantastic. Just basic Google apps and that's it. Definitely happy with this phone. I just wish they had made the gold model 128 GB. Don't think I would ever fill that, but I would like to know I'm covered lol. I have all of the music I listen to on my phone now and it's just under 4 GB, so micro SD was never too necessary. I'm glad. :D

On 6/1/2016 at 3:54 AM, vinyl addict said:

Yeah, that was the one downside for me. No external storage or removable battery.

It's a bit of a downer, but I'm liking it.

Ordered the SIM card and should get here Monday, but I'm actually going to root my 6P today. There's a lot more with rooting a Nexus device. Having to use a command prompt is something that's new to me, so I'm reading up on it and making sure I'm thorough. Don't want to accidentally brick. I don't think I'll flash any ROMs since I'm already debloated, but I do want root apps.

On 6/1/2016 at 3:54 AM, vinyl addict said:

Yeah, that was the one downside for me. No external storage or removable battery.

It's a bit of a downer, but I'm liking it.

Ordered the SIM card and should get here Monday, but I'm actually going to root my 6P today. There's a lot more with rooting a Nexus device. Having to use a command prompt is something that's new to me, so I'm reading up on it and making sure I'm thorough. Don't want to accidentally brick. I don't think I'll flash any ROMs since I'm already debloated, but I do want root apps.

• 2 weeks later...

Been a bit MIA, haha.

I've been testing Android N and it's pretty great. Only real bug I've noticed is that Pocket Casts won't stream any episodes. Have to download them in order to listen, so a bit annoying. But that's about it.

Also it's funny because I tried to sign up to the beta program and it tells me I don't have any eligible devices, yet... I have the 6P. Lol. Will probably give it another shot on my PC and see if that works.

Edited by HybridxReality

Another thing I want to note is that I have Spotify Premium and I noticed how low tracks sounded. Compared to Poweramp, it sounds like trash. And that's withoit having messed with the equalizer. Once I set it to my preferred settings it sounds even better.

I even checked with Google Play Music and it's the same. I guess streaming music is okay for convenience, but I like to actually hear good quality music and this isn't cutting it. I'm probably being really picky, but it's a noticeable difference.

Now I'm curious if I purchase music off of the Play Store on what it'll sound like.

Edited by HybridxReality

7 hours ago, HybridxReality said:

Another thing I want to note is that I have Spotify Premium and I noticed how low tracks sounded. Compared to Poweramp, it sounds like trash. And that's withoit having messed with the equalizer. Once I set it to my preferred settings it sounds even better.

I even checked with Google Play Music and it's the same. I guess streaming music is okay for convenience, but I like to actually hear good quality music and this isn't cutting it. I'm probably being really picky, but it's a noticeable difference.

Now I'm curious if I purchase music off of the Play Store on what it'll sound like.

You're not crazy, streamed audio is very compressed. I use GPM for convenience/storage cleanliness only, if I'm trying to listen to high quality audio I'm putting on a friggin' record.

Blows my mind that people buy $200+ Bluetooth speakers (another degradation to the audio quality) that just adds a ton of bass and and they're convinced it sounds amazing.

15 hours ago, Shitty Rambo said:

You're not crazy, streamed audio is very compressed. I use GPM for convenience/storage cleanliness only, if I'm trying to listen to high quality audio I'm putting on a friggin' record.

Blows my mind that people buy $200+ Bluetooth speakers (another degradation to the audio quality) that just adds a ton of bass and and they're convinced it sounds amazing.

Yeah, I mainly use it for convenience when I randomly want to listen to a specific song.

Ugh, Bluetooth speakers are the worst. I'd imagine headphones are the same. My friend is trying to sell me his bluetooth headset and I'm not about it. Again, it's convenient, but usually when I have headphone on I'm not doing any activities. Mainly sitting at a specific area listening to music. So I stick towards wired. Don't have a good pair currently. They're some in-ears. That's my next purchase though.

Back on MM and I did a bit of a battery test. Lowered my brightness pretty low and on three hours of moderate use I'm down to 58%, so I'd say that's pretty damn good. I just watched an hour long YouTube video, so that kind of screwed me, but I imagine with moderate use checking social media you can get most of the day on a full charge.

Doze Mode works great, although I didn't use it to its full potential. Had only Pocket Casts playing and when I looked at the battery graph it was in a straight line. Didn't see any decline whatsoever. Pretty awesome. Will have to test it without any apps running and see how it goes.

Edited by HybridxReality

I've considered getting Bluetooth headphones to use when I jog, but that's just another device I have to remember to charge. I use earbuds all day at work listening to podcasts and at home when I'm doing chores or playing video games. Cheap ass $7 Panasonics from Amazon have never steered me wrong. Lifehacker did some really good articles debunking the quality of high end headphones like Beats, they're worth Googling.

Yeah, that's also annoying. Wired just works whenever. No bullshit batteries or charging.

Haha, I have these Monoprice ones that are apparently ridiculously good for the price (about $11). A lot of people praise them for their quality and yeah, they do sound pretty good. Had to buy different ear buds, but bought some cheap silicone ones, so I'm probably not getting the best experience.

Ahh, Beats. MKBHD on YouTube did a really good video - at least I think so - on them compared to something like Audio Technicas (specifically the ATH-M50s).

Edited by HybridxReality

• 2 weeks later...

So I'm finally doing the grown up thing where you have an appropriate email address. Turns out I can add an alias to my Hotmail and now I made it more official. Mainly wanted to do this to my Gmail, but I couldn't find a way. I did make an entirely new Gmail and I want to start using that instead, but the only thing holding me back is all of the apps I've purchased in the past will be gone. Don't know if I can pull the trigger. Am just thinking about keeping my original Gmail and keeping the new one for more professional needs. I just hate having to see the old email. Thirteen-year-old me thought it was so clever and God...

Set up a new Gmail account and set it up to auto-foward any messages to your current account.

https://support.google.com/mail/answer/10957?hl=en

This way you can give people your new address but only need to stay logged into your current account.

This is why I specifically made an obnoxious handle 13 years ago that consisted of my initials and a date, so I wouldn't be stuck with something sucky into my adult years. I've also made two Google accounts for my daughters to use in a similar vein when they're older (also so I can keep an eye on what they're doing until they're old enough to make their own).

Honestly man since KK when they added the ability to add multiple accounts on your device you can easily jump between 2 or more Gmail inboxes. I have my account, Hot Vodka Record's account, and my podcast's account on my phone/tablet. When you get a notification for a message it'll take you to the appropriate account for a response, and you won't have to sign out of the Play Store or anything like that.

I could see this being a problem if you use your desktop for email, however I only really use my phone/tablet since the desktop version of Gmail is hideous and a pain in the ass to use.

http://fs5.directupload.net/images/160703/twedd5fs.png

My man! Okay, great, I'll set it up. And I don't really mess with settings or anything of the sort when it comes to emails. I just sign in and that's it, so I had not a clue you could do all that.

And yeah, I don't really use the desktop for emails. I always use my phone for everything.

Back to more Android-related news, I ended up returning my 6P, because it was for sale cheaper and by the time I got the refund, the price went up again. So it was for nothing, but I did end up buying a 128 GB Frost White 6P from Swappa. Had never purchased from there before and the seller was new as well, so I'm honestly a little skeptical. The phone looked like it was in perfect condition and had only been used for about six months.

But then I also started thinking whether I'll ever even need to have 128 GB of storage. All of my photos and videos are stored to the Cloud and nowadays I just stream my music through Spotify. I don't think the 64 GB was a bad choice. I just hope the phone ends up not being faulty or damaged of any sort. Also I would've received the phone today had I ordered it from Amazon and now I have to wait until sometime next week (if I'm lucky) to get the phone. Need to learn to be more patient with things. I did save money, but I'm kind of thinking I should've just spent the extra $80 and bought it brand new.

Edit: Probably overreacting.

Edited by HybridxReality

• 7 months later...

Anything new in the Android world?

I made the switch to iOS mainly because I would notice some lag issues with my N6P. It got me frustrated. Now I'm jailbroken and all I've wanted to do is root a damn Android phone.

Have been debating picking up a N5X, but I do miss the stereo speakers and 1440p display on the N6P. Still thinking about it.

Edit: Pixel looks good, but the price seems steep.

Edited by HybridxReality

1 hour ago, roadmonkey said:

Got me a pixel when it came out. I love it. 

All the hype is legit. This is the most responsive google base phone I've experienced. The only smartphones I've owned up to this point have been the Nexus phones and easily this is the one that hits all my performance bits. 

Nexus 5x here, and I love it. Is the pixel really that much better? It's damn expensive.

17 hours ago, HybridxReality said:

Anything new in the Android world?

I made the switch to iOS mainly because I would notice some lag issues with my N6P. It got me frustrated. Now I'm jailbroken and all I've wanted to do is root a damn Android phone.

Have been debating picking up a N5X, but I do miss the stereo speakers and 1440p display on the N6P. Still thinking about it.

Edit: Pixel looks good, but the price seems steep.

Got my wife to switch over from iOS and bought her a Fossil Android Wear watch for Christmas. So far she's into it. She got me a Google Home, which isn't specifically Android based but it accompanies my devices well. Love how you can just say, "Hey Google, play [random show] Podcast," and it'll instantly play it. I'm going to replace the Bluetooth adapter on my stereo with a Chromecast Music soon, so I (or anyone) can play any song, album, or podcast on the stereo just play saying, "Hey Google, play [blank], in the music room."

6 hours ago, Shitty Rambo said:

Got my wife to switch over from iOS and bought her a Fossil Android Wear watch for Christmas. So far she's into it. She got me a Google Home, which isn't specifically Android based but it accompanies my devices well. Love how you can just say, "Hey Google, play [random show] Podcast," and it'll instantly play it. I'm going to replace the Bluetooth adapter on my stereo with a Chromecast Music soon, so I (or anyone) can play any song, album, or podcast on the stereo just play saying, "Hey Google, play [blank], in the music room."

That's good that she's into it. I remember you saying she was stuck to her IPhone like glue.

Do you have it hooked up to your WiFi or does it pair to an Android device?

I wasn't even aware they had a Chromecast Music, but that sounds pretty damn awesome. I remember trying it with Google Now and it did work, but sometimes it would open the app and not play anything. Haven't really tried it with Siri, so can't compare.

2 hours ago, HybridxReality said:

That's good that she's into it. I remember you saying she was stuck to her IPhone like glue.

Do you have it hooked up to your WiFi or does it pair to an Android device?

I wasn't even aware they had a Chromecast Music, but that sounds pretty damn awesome. I remember trying it with Google Now and it did work, but sometimes it would open the app and not play anything. Haven't really tried it with Siri, so can't compare.

Yeah, the Google Home is on WiFi and communicates with your device through the Home app. If you ask it questions it will even send links there for more information if you're interested. I use Google Now a lot anyways, I hope the incorporate basic phone features like call and text with the Home soon.