Need help! On tour! Best record stores in Raleigh NC, Richmond VA, Annapolis MD, and Washington DC?

jpearin

DC is alright. crooked beat is the big one, red onion, som, smash, joint custody (punk store)...all near each other

Yup.  Crooked Beat  and Smash are in Adams's Morgan, Joint Custody and Som are near U-Street and Red Onion is in betweenish.

There's Sorry State Records in Raleigh. I have not lived in Raleigh in years, but there should be Schoolkids Records across from NC State. I am not sure of their current vinyl offerings, but i used to get decent used and new cds there.

Yup.  Crooked Beat  and Smash are in Adams's Morgan, Joint Custody and Som are near U-Street and Red Onion is in betweenish.

There's Sorry State Records in Raleigh. I have not lived in Raleigh in years, but there should be Schoolkids Records across from NC State. I am not sure of their current vinyl offerings, but i used to get decent used and new cds there.

Crooked Beat & Smash are like a block apart, Red Onion is a couple blocks from there. There's also CD Cellar in Arlington which is pretty sweet. 

If you're in Raleigh and want new stuff, you can go to Schoolkids in Mission Valley off of Avent Ferry or Nice Price Books on Hillsborough; both near NC State.  They have used stock, too.

There's also a pretty good used records store called The Record Krate on St. Mary's St.  I do most of my shopping there since the owner Kirk buys estates and puts some pretty great stuff for sale and is pretty inventive in his ways of engaging the customers (one time all records with a car on the cover were 20% off.)  Usually new stuff is limited and I order from the labels or bands directly, so that only increase the odds that my brick and mortar purchases are used stuff at the Krate.

There's also a used place called In the Groove on Glenwood near the intersection of Hillsborough.

I've never been to Sorry State, but my understanding is that it is predominantly punk/indie and a smaller more curated selection... less stuff to sift through if that's your bag, but mostly new or used that is not cheap... kind of like how you pay more for used clothes at a vintage clothing store.  I have never been there though, that's just the vibe I've gotten from talking to people about it.  Don't let me dissuade you from checking it out!!  Could be amazing!

In Durham, Bull City (coincidentally on a different Hillsborough st.) and Honky Dory are pretty good, the latter being also a head shop.  Both are near Duke campus.  I've only really gone to Bull City in Durham and the owner Chaz is a seriously cool dude who's very helpful.

There's also a Schoolkids in Durham in Brightleaf Square... I expect it to be pricey as it's in a high end shopping area.

Other than that, all I can think of are a couple of consignment boutiques in Cameron Village in Raleigh that have a great rotating stock of randomness.

I've found tons of great shit in the triangle.  Don't be wary to hunt for estate sales if you have downtime on the weekend.