Platters are so yesterday...more Kickstarter wizardry

It looks pretty and looks beautifully engineered but what's the point of it? am I missing something? It's April 1st is it?

Seriously am I the only one who thinks this is the most stupid idea for quite some time? Its a study in how to introduce warps into play on a perfectly flat record, has no one ever heard one of those portable things?

I thought the whole point of a platter was to support the flimsy record and to stop it moving in a vertical plane as it's played and to offer some isolation from outside forces again to stop it moving and transferring that movement into the stylus. I wouldn't walk around near this thing and you better not listen to any music that makes you dance anywhere near it.

The platter on a turntable is there for very good reasons so pretty as this looks this is another example of trying to fix a problem that isn't really there in the first place and in this case by removing the platter all the maker will succeed in doing is re introducing the problems the platter removes by being there in the first place.

The theory here is that the transducer (the cartridge and stylus) should be in free air and it's a valid one which is also true of a speaker but the problem here is that the whole playing feedback loop isn't in free air, the arm and especially the stylus are not in free air so all this does is remove the force that is counter acting and trying to equalize the force of the arm

The material a platter is made of has all sorts of effects on the sound produced but removing it really doesn't have a good effect at all. The effect on the cartridges suspension will be terrible as it's designed to flex from a reference plane which is the platter so if the record is also moving all you will have is chaos at the point of contact

Another upside of having a platter is it's effect on speed regulation so again removing it makes life harder from an engineering perspective, especially with a belt drive table.

The other problem is that any sales blurb that starts with the sentence "Modern urban lifestyle" obviously has a lot more to do with aesthetics that science and engineering.

F.F.S. This ones almost as, if not more stupid and pointless than the vertical one.

I also like the $1k table, with the $35 cart. Not that the AT95E is a bad cartridge, but you'd think they'd give you something a little higher up the chain when the components cost so much.

I thought it looked ridiculous too but apparently a very similar design has been done before and sounded great according to some peopl on the Hoffman forums, so who knows? I'd be curious to see/hear it in person.

http://www.museatex.com/at2.htm

at-2.jpg

I'll put money on the nice arm, cart and tone arm wire is why it sounds nice but I bet it would sound a whole lot nicer and track a lot better if you added an acrylic platter to it, even a 5mm thick one would do the trick.