test press questions

Okay, so I see some of you guys have a large amount of test presses or even a few. I'm not really "new" to collecting, but have never been into it enough to warrant tracking one of these down by whichever means.

So my question is, are test presses only for the first press, to make sure the mold or whatever is correct or are these done for each and every press? So for an album like reinventing axl rose with 20 presses, have there been tests for each one or what?

thanks!

dustin

depends on the record. I know that against me record has multiple tests(not sure how many). the boys night out record has two tests since the second press is 180 gram. I think the number of records that a plate is good for is 2000. Someone on here who runs a record lable coulde verify that.

yeah for example

there is 4 test presses for axl rose...

first rejected test (bside is bad) 8-10 copies

bside only test 5 copies

and then two later tests with cloth covers after the first stampers wore out and they pressed at two seperate plants.

some labels like to use tests for contests, giveaways etc... so they make more.. some could care less about tests and make the bear minmums for the records.

yeah for example

there is 4 test presses for axl rose...

first rejected test (bside is bad) 8-10 copies

bside only test 5 copies

and then two later tests with cloth covers after the first stampers wore out and they pressed at two seperate plants.

some labels like to use tests for contests, giveaways etc... so they make more.. some could care less about tests and make the bear minmums for the records.

yeah, more or less there are only more test presses made when new plates are made.

I won this record a few weeks back, my first test press i've bought. If the link doesn't work, it's The Queers 'Pleasant Screams'.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=160249025869

The same seller was selling a few other Queers TP's that were represses. I passed on them because I assumed the original TP's would be more rare, even though all tests are rare.

A lot of labels will press a gazillion test presses at the onset of the plates being made in order to cash in on collectors.

There is really no way of telling how many test any label actually has made.

We always get 15 test for every record, we listen to a couple to see if the quality is acceptable or not, and then I keep one, my partner keeps one, and the band gets a couple.

We give all the others out for contest and such.

A good indicator (sometimes?) is if special really nice sleeves were specifically made for the test pressings. If they were than chances are that there are a lot out there since minimum runs of jackets are pretty high.

But again there is really no way of telling, some labels print their own jackets so....?

The question about the plates.

Plates are good if kept in good conditions, for about 2000 black records. It varies greatly depending on the weight and colors of the records, and also whoever does the pressing or plating. URP does such shitty light weight records that their stampers (theoretically) should last around 3-4000 records, (but they suck so they dont)

But say... if I wanted 2000 180 gram records, I would have to get 2 plates made.

I'm bored

I have one test press for the first pressing of Ed Gein's Demo/It's a shame but I also know there is one for the second pressing as well.

Yeah you have to get new test made for every new plate that's made, or new pressing just to make sure that the quality is still there.

So almost every single record out there has a test press somewhere for every pressing that was made.

A lot of labels will press a gazillion test presses at the onset of the plates being made in order to cash in on collectors.

There is really no way of telling how many test any label actually has made.

We always get 15 test for every record, we listen to a couple to see if the quality is acceptable or not, and then I keep one, my partner keeps one, and the band gets a couple.

We give all the others out for contest and such.

A good indicator (sometimes?) is if special really nice sleeves were specifically made for the test pressings. If they were than chances are that there are a lot out there since minimum runs of jackets are pretty high.

But again there is really no way of telling, some labels print their own jackets so....?

The question about the plates.

Plates are good if kept in good conditions, for about 2000 black records. It varies greatly depending on the weight and colors of the records, and also whoever does the pressing or plating. URP does such shitty light weight records that their stampers (theoretically) should last around 3-4000 records, (but they suck so they dont)

But say... if I wanted 2000 180 gram records, I would have to get 2 plates made.

I'm bored

just out of curiosity. when you press a record, do you keep the plates or does the plant keep them

Here is a link to pics of the Nirvana plates

http://www.sliver.it/nirvana/test/pages/memorabilia/krs_plates.html

Nowdays dmm mastering is usually used. Instead of the lacquer, and mother/father.

It etches the grooves directly onto the plates, so no mother or laquer is needed.

Anyone correct me if I am wrong on the dmm mastering?

The Boys Night Out record wouldn't have even had test pressings for the 180g press if United weren't a bunch of dummies who sent me 300 standard weight copies.

Hey, by the way, you can still enter the DeadFormat.net contest for one of those. And, if you miss out on that, you can buy the 180g version from Vinyl Collective and get entered into a test press contest for it there too. Test press is /5.