More Reinventing Axl Rose Awesomeness

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never notice a sound difference in my normal LPs and my 180 gram ones. I never understood it. Could have 1000 people tell me 180g sounds better, but I hear no noticeable difference, so I couldn't really care.

That's probably because you have a cheap record player hooked up to a cheap system. No offense, most people do. But you're never giving the records a fair shot if you're playing them through junk.

the Tired From Now On lp on No Idea is 180g.

sounds awesome!

sadly, no Americans do the Direct Metal Mastering. there is definetely a difference between that and aardvark. however, going to the Czech Republic seems silly when aardvark is a mile or so away.

Rainbo Records plates DMM

get stoked.

Other variation that's been peeing itself to be born? Red/Black split color. Yeah. I said it. Think about it. Let the flavor seep into your face. (No promises on that one, but it would be cool.

That would be cool indeed! I'd always thought a black record with white and red splatter would look great for RAR.

Guest afsdan
the Tired From Now On lp on No Idea is 180g.

sounds awesome!

sadly, no Americans do the Direct Metal Mastering. there is definetely a difference between that and aardvark. however, going to the Czech Republic seems silly when aardvark is a mile or so away.

Rainbo Records plates DMM

get stoked.

Justin, I just asked Rainbo about DMM 2 weeks ago. They said no domestic plant does it.

I still have the email

Guest afsdan

Justin, I just asked Rainbo about DMM 2 weeks ago. They said no domestic plant does it.

I still have the email

weird...that's really weird...

did they tell you otherwise?

weird...that's really weird...

did they tell you otherwise?

At some point somebody told me they did DMM mastering.

I've always had Aardvark do mine(save the few Pirates Press 7"s I've done) so it's never been an issue...even the few records I've done with Rainbo...but I could have sworn they did....very odd.

For 180 vinyl, the RECORD is thicker, but the groove is not deeper, as far as I know. The material used could be different that the 140, but I do not know. I don't think it is different. They should wear exactly the same, unless the material is different. Again, comparing one 140 record to another 180 one is only valid if they were pressed using the same metal mothers. THIS is something I'd be curious to know. Anyone?

Yes, some of our records have been pretty thick, but no one was calling them 180 at the time. Especially the older ones, pressed on manual presses, would vary a bit in weight throughout the pressing. Specifically for the TFNO record, we could never get that exact color again. I always wondered if they were using up some weird leftover stock. It is still one of my favorites.

For 180 vinyl, the RECORD is thicker, but the groove is not deeper, as far as I know. The material used could be different that the 140, but I do not know. I don't think it is different. They should wear exactly the same, unless the material is different. Again, comparing one 140 record to another 180 one is only valid if they were pressed using the same metal mothers. THIS is something I'd be curious to know. Anyone?

Yes, some of our records have been pretty thick, but no one was calling them 180 at the time. Especially the older ones, pressed on manual presses, would vary a bit in weight throughout the pressing. Specifically for the TFNO record, we could never get that exact color again. I always wondered if they were using up some weird leftover stock. It is still one of my favorites.

Well, for example I can really tell a big difference in URP's typical 120-130 gram pressings, and a 180.

That may be due to them paying more attention to special orders etc? Not sure. But I do find that a lot of urp's, typical stock weight seems to have a very.. shitty type sound to them, as opposed to any heavier weight records that they do.

But again, this argument about weights has been going on for years, and people will never agree one way or the other.

I guess it's all up to the individual and their perception. Everyone has their preference.

One thing is clear though, they do look better!

But.. The jury is still out on the SQ and probably always will be

this is a great thread on vinyl pressing in general and whoever I talked to on the phone today at no idea about gaslight pressing crap, thanks, siked to see those appear soon enough and hopefully just solid colors and nothing like these "range" of colors, lol, would hurt my puny bank account

Well, like I said earlier, it could be a placebo type effect on the mind. The jury is still out, and probably always will be. Personally I like the heavier vinyl, not necessarily the 180 or whatever, but just heavier because it looks better and it's just nice a bit different.

Other than that I don't really care, I wouldn't necessarily by a 180 over a 130.

I agree with the mythbuster statement, that would be awesome. Let's get a thorough Scientific analysis going on!

Some thoughts on this thread.

1) I love No Idea pressings because then we can see things like that sweet OWTH collection and Flood's epic Against Me collection (Which I need to know what AP number did that so I can buy that!)

2) The number one No Idea band I collect is Fifth Hour Hero and the strangest pressing was done by 1234 Go Records! (GO FIGURE!)

3) Someone should do a vinyl oriented interview with No Idea!!!

(HELL ILL FUCKING DO IT!)

When it's done right the grooves ARE deeper and you can enhanced sound quality and dynamic range. You better be paying out the ass on recording and mastering, though, or it's not worth it. Also, if you're using a shitty system you won't hear the beauty of it. But compare a regular version of Pink Floyd's the Wall (a record I don't really like) vs. a Mobile Sound Fidelity Labs version on a sweet system and it sounds majestic.

Trying to figure out this color.

For fucks sake.

http://picasaweb.google.com/fluffernutter73/UntitledAlbum/photo#5223094814207198690

http://picasaweb.google.com/fluffernutter73/UntitledAlbum/photo#5223094817480808706

I see nothing on No idea for a black w/ color or a black with grey for the 20th or 21st press. Aberration?

Oh. What the hell do I do to post a picture within a post? I haven't touched HTML coding in a while.

Trying to figure out this color.

For fucks sake.

http://picasaweb.google.com/fluffernutter73/UntitledAlbum/photo#5223094814207198690

http://picasaweb.google.com/fluffernutter73/UntitledAlbum/photo#5223094817480808706

I see nothing on No idea for a black w/ color or a black with grey for the 20th or 21st press. Aberration?

Oh. What the hell do I do to post a picture within a post? I haven't touched HTML coding in a while.

Judging by the labels, I'd assume it's a variant from the second newest press. When did you get it?