Question.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

not the point at all. it boggles my mind that in 2007 people still think it's ok to throw around such an ignorant word under the guise of "it wasn't literal". why do you feel you need to justify something you enjoy?

I wasn't trying to justify anything. I use the term fag in fun and I don't know anyone who is actually offended by using the word. If you are, go right ahead and be mad over such a silly thing. Being mad on the internet is fun.

you must be straight.

I wasn't trying to justify anything. I use the term fag in fun and I don't know anyone who is actually offended by using the word. If you are, go right ahead and be mad over such a silly thing. Being mad on the internet is fun.

I don't mean to jump on you, because I know you don't mean it in an offensive way, but I sort of feel strongly about this issue. You can use a word however you want and mean absolutely nothing by it but, unfortunately, you don't get to choose how your words are interpreted in a public setting.

So, if all "fag" is to you is a funny word for "stupid," you mean, "If I admit to liking Paramore, does that mean I'm 13 and wear trendy clothes and like shitty music?"

Unfortunately, no matter what you meant to say, "fag" is still a derogatory word for a gay man, implying that they are effeminate and perverse (so it also serves the dual purpose of being derogatory towards women). So, what you say, whether you meant it or not, is, "If I admit to liking Paramore, am I emasculated and perverse?"

Perhaps no one you know is offended by the use of the word. That's great. In fact, a lot of people that I know use it (most of them are gay). In fact, I've probably been known to use it. And none of us get offended. But I would never use it in a public setting. And if someone leaned out of their car window and yelled, "fag!" at me (or dyke, in my case) I would be offended.

I guess I'm trying to say that when you use a word like that in a context that leaves it open to interpretation, you sort of implicitly endorse and perpertuate the social meaning of the term. After all, how do I know what you meant? In the case of a message board like this one, I personally would give anybody on here the benefit of the doubt. After all, we're mostly fans of punk rock and hardcore, we're mostly young(ish), so it's more than likely if somebody says something, they don't mean it in an offensive way. But does that mean we should use it? Aren't there a million other equally valid words to use?

Shit. That got long. Sorry everybody. And monk0nuggets, I seriously don't mean this as a personal attack. Seriously. It just happens to be something that I think is useful to think about.

you must be straight.

I know quite a few gay people who use the turn fag/faggot/fags, and have told me that don't care if I use it around them. It's just a word.

I know quite a few gay people who use the turn fag/faggot/fags, and have told me that don't care if I use it around them. It's just a word.

I know no one probably wants to read my long-ass post above, but "my gay friends don't care if I say 'fag' around them" is not equal to this situation.

Anyway, even if we start to appropriate the term, we probably shouldn't stop debating what it means and what the consequences of using it are. And I mean that in a greater, sort of academic sense. Not that we need to continue debating this in this thread. Whatever.

you must be straight.

yes, lets use the quite of few gay people you know to gauge the feelings of an entire community. and anyone thinks we've reached a point where fag is just a word, you're kidding yourself.

yes, lets use the quite of few gay people you know to gauge the feelings of an entire community. and anyone thinks we've reached a point where fag is just a word, you're kidding yourself.

No one cares. Let's discuss vinyl!

ok sorry i'll keep the depth of this board to determining whether or not vinyl is orange or gold. don't want to make you guys think or anything.

missed the point - the only thing they are saying is this is the vinyl forum...you can post a thread in the everything else forum and im sure you will get a lengthy discussion

whatever, go back to talking about paramore because you know in ten years the impact they'll have on society will be just tangible.

Thanks for your permission to stay on topic. (And I don't see what their impact on society has to do with the topic at hand)

Since my first post was probably lost in the nonsense, I'll quote myself here for the thread author.

On HMV, they have 4 different Paramore 7"'s. Two Misery Business and two Hallelujah.

And I haven't heard the song, so I'm no judge on it.

well the only reason this is here is because of the first post. making a new thread in a different section would be awkward. whatever, go back to talking about paramore because you know in ten years the impact they'll have on society will be just tangible.

Lauren, seriously, this isn't the apn board -- people here are generally nice to one another. I understand you have your beliefs and you have every right to post about them, but posts like the above one are just spiteful for no real reason.

I really, really like this board and am worried it's going to be ruined yet again by negativity.