MLB Discussion

that does signal the end of mourneau though

yep, but powerful 1B are a dime a dozen it seems... any power hitter can convert to 1B. a star catcher is rare, worth every penny in my mind, especially since he can just convert to DH or 1B towards the end of that contract if his knees/back cause more problems.

They already signed Morneau long term before 08 I believe for 6 years, so he is with the team till 2014.

nice! I was not aware of that! twins are my AL team. love 'em

The Twins are really making efforts the last few years to play with the top teams in the AL. A few busts in trades and Liriano not panning out is all thats held them back. They counted on alot in the Santana trade none of which has given them much return at all.

so was thinking about catchers in the HOF. shoe-ins would be Piazza, I-Rod, and Mauer most likely. but what about Jason Kendall? 1907 games caught, .290 career avg, 2000+ hits, and still active. plus his recent years have drug his numbers down a bit from his peak, but for a 5-10 year period he was the best catcher in baseball arguably and came back from one of the most horrific injuries i have ever seen live on tv. he has always been almost criminally unappreciated around the league.

Kendall isn't a hall-of-famer. He's just not. He's a very good player but he's not the best of the best and he never scared anyone, ever. If Mauer continues he'll be in the HOF but now, not yet.

Posada will make it at the very least because he won a ton of rings and he played in New York and I think people remember him being better than he might have actually been.

I can't think of one catcher (other than the ones who have been mentioned) who has good enough numbers to make it. The only candidate I could see possibly making a push (and this is still a stretch), would be Victor Martinez, if he became a full time catcher and keeps putting up numbers like he did the second half of last season.

If Jim Rice can make it in, Posada will make it in. I dont think that he deserves to be in though. Watching him through his career I was never worried at all when he came to the plate and never worried about his arm hurting a team. Yeah he went to 5 all stars, but v-tek should have gone to a few of those, having NYC behind you voting helps. That all being said, he will make it. He lasted a long time at a tough position, has the 5 rings to help his cause and the 2000 hits at catcher will be enough to put him over. Besides I-Rod and Piazza, I cant think of any other of his or this generation that will make it as Maur is still too early to tell. He is just entering his prime 27 season.

i think you have to view players based on their position, in their era.

Jim Rice is a hall of famer... dude was a scary hitter, and a perennial all-star.

Posada is borderline, much like Don Mattingly (who would have been a shoe-in if the back injury didn't sideline the 2nd half of his career)

I agree with the era thing. Not sure All-Star appointments do much for me.

You guys are crazy. Posada is in. First ballot.

Career .277/.379/.480 line (from a CATCHER - these numbers are HUGE)

15 year career

Average or better defensively pretty much throughout his career

5 world series rings

Yankee

Still playing and producing - get those HR/RBI/etc. numbers boosted the next few years

If you wouldn't vote for him, you're crazy.

i would be interested to see how many double plays Posada has hit into in his career, especially last year and inning ending double plays. following the Yankees last year there were two things that were almost certain, John Sterling would come up with a stupid nickname just for the sake of hearing his own voice and Posada, if the situation presented itself, would hit into an inning ending double play. Cano was up there too.

yeah but a lot of those walk off wins came to be because Posada had a chance to drive in a run but grounded into an inning ending double play by swinging at crap he shouldn't have on the first pitch earlier in the game. it was almost like clock work. obviously in the long run it didn't mean much but he killed plenty of rallies which is frustrating to watch.