MLB Discussion

I'm wondering if Garrett Jones could cause McCutchen to lose some RotY votes. I don't think Jones should be RotY, but his name should be up there w/ some of the top rookies. He just hit is 18th homer of the season (10,000 in Pirates history).

I highly doubt Jones will hit like this next year. He's 28 and his career minor league numbers just don't match up. Regardless, 18 HRs in 55 games / 211 ABs is quite impressive.

Jones is great, but 200 - 300 AB should NOT be enough to qualify you for ROTY.

well that's because the game has changed so drastically in the past 20 years. if you take a look at the top all-time Triples hitters... the leader has over 300. a GREAT season now sees somebody having 15 triples, 20 is almost unheard of. i'd be willing to bet there's nobody currently playing who is even in the top 100 all-time for triples.

the game has just shifted away from speed/fundamentals (see: bunting in today's MLB) and moved toward hitting the long ball.

new trivia question:

who are the 4 players who have 3,000 hits and 500 home runs in their careers?

well that's because the game has changed so drastically in the past 20 years. if you take a look at the top all-time Triples hitters... the leader has over 300. a GREAT season now sees somebody having 15 triples, 20 is almost unheard of. i'd be willing to bet there's nobody currently playing who is even in the top 100 all-time for triples.

the game has just shifted away from speed/fundamentals (see: bunting in today's MLB) and moved toward hitting the long ball.

new trivia question:

off the top of myhead...

hank aaron

willie mays

edie murray

annnddd??????

Rafael Palmsteroid

new trivia question:

I have to disagree with that characterization. I think the game has shifted to a different more statistically backed way of play. Giving away outs to move baserunners has been shown to be the right way on only a few select occasions. Further, since major league players make so little errors strikeouts have become more acceptable allowing players to use all three strikes to hit homeruns.

As far as the triple thing goes, there's a good amount of ballparks that aren't really conducive to it. Dodgers Stadium is one for sure where hitting a triple is few-and-far between even for the speediest runners. That said, didn't Granderson have 20 doubles, 20 triples, 20 homeruns, and 20 stolen bases a few years ago?

As far as the triple thing goes, there's a good amount of ballparks that aren't really conducive to it. Dodgers Stadium is one for sure where hitting a triple is few-and-far between even for the speediest runners. That said, didn't Granderson have 20 doubles, 20 triples, 20 homeruns, and 20 stolen bases a few years ago?

Yeah, I'd say its more a product of symmetric parks than anything else. Look at the Polo Grounds, basically anything hit in the gap or over the centerfielder's head was a triple or and inside-the-park homerun. There used to be lots of parks with really deep CF and gaps or quirky dimensions like the triangle in Boston.

the 3,000 hits/500 home runs players have all been named...

mike got Aaron, Mays and Murray

then Sammy mentioned Palmiero (dynamitekid was the first to name all 4, though, so i guess he wins a cookie?)

well done gentlemen.

next trivia question!!

only 3 players (since 1900) have 200+ hits with 5 different teams. who are they?

jeter needs 3 home runs and 9rbis to make the yankees the first team ever in major league history to have 8 players in the lineup with 20+ hrs and 70+rbis..... they set the record with 7 last night when posada hit another one.... who would have thought 2009 yankees... arguably one of the most dangerous offensive lineups in baseball history

henderson moved around a lot, but he played for Oakland like 45 different times. so while he may have been traded very often, he kept coming back to the same franchise.

also, for most people, 200+ hits means more than one season. so a guess like kenny lofton would be on the right track because he has played for so many teams, but he rarely played for a team longer than one season toward the end of his career.

if you want, i'll give you guys a hint because it's not somebody i expect you guys to think of (although i'm sure it's somebody you'll know)