MLB Discussion

Big series starting today in Anaheim. Would love to take at least 2 of 3 from NYY just as a confidence builder. Dont think there's any way Texas is catching the Halos at this point.

I'd like to see the Angles take 3 of 3 from the Yanks. Sox catching up in the pennant race

Id love to have to get the brooms out but I dont see that happening. Id be happy with just taking the series.

So since that Boston game Ive noticed Rivera slacking off a few more times. Maybe he isnt a hustler and I just never noticed it. He did something the other day that I noticed but now cant remember what it was and last nite, I think in the bottom of the 8th, he hit a double to knock in Vlad and when he hit it he just stood there like he knew it was going out and started a slow jog to first and then it fell well short of a HR. He did make it to second but still, thats bullshit.

god almighty i hate watching angels/yankees games... even when my team wins they give me an aneurysm. assuming its Boston/Anaheim in the first round of the playoffs i have no idea whom to root for.

you guys are lucky tho, you will only have to face 1 of those teams to make it to the WS.

great game last nite, sucks the angels lost but im glad they at least made it interesting. they should have won that game. that diving play that ARod made on the ball Vlad hit with the bases loaded totally saved them. that would have scored 2 runs for sure and put them up by a run.

yeah i'm super thankful i don't have to sweat it out past the halos and the sox... that being said watch detroit sweep us... i think the yanks have a much better show against the sox, not to mention shorter commute = well rested players... but i don't think i can pull for boston no matter whom they're playing.

Well, I can't totally agree. The Dodger infield of the 70s with Garvey, Cey, Lopes, and Russell was a great offensive foursome at the time. I don't perceive Cano to be an all-time great nor able to put up big numbers for 10+ years so I can't stomach him being included in an all-time list. Tex is damn good but again its a longevity thing, how long is he going to be there? 3 more years? 5 more years?

A-Rod, for as much as he's not likable is one of the best ever. Jeter, begrudgingly, I would say the same about. I personally think he's overrated just a tad and gets too much credit for all the team successes.

Then of course you have the Big Red Machine and the 1927 Yankee infield. Gehrig makes up a bulk but he produced as much as Tex and Cano combined so I count it.

Its just so hard, impossible probably, to compare eras.

Yankees have a great offensice infield but I dunno about best ever.

ARod - definitely

Tex - defintiely (as long as he can keep this pace up)

Cano - meh (hes a very good player but dunno about being included in best all time)

Jeter - fuck yes (easily one of the best all around shortstops of all time. I think he deserves all the credit he gets and more)

Yankees have a great offensice infield but I dunno about best ever.

ARod - definitely

Tex - defintiely (as long as he can keep this pace up)

Cano - meh (hes a very good player but dunno about being included in best all time)

Jeter - fuck yes (easily one of the best all around shortstops of all time. I think he deserves all the credit he gets and more)

Cano is putting up some pretty great numbers for a 2nd baseman... dudes batting like .330, almost 200 hits, 20+ HRs, and almost 50 doubles.... thats not numbers to scoff at.

you have to remember its the combo of the 4... ARod will end up having the best offensive numbers of any 3rd baseman ever. Texiera is a perpetual MVP candidate, and if this level of productivity continues could easily be a HOF candidate.... and Jeter is up there with Banks, Ripken & Wagner for best offensive shortstops of all times.. So thats 3 HoFers and a really solid 2nd baseman ... i doubt you'll be able to name another 4some thats that solid.

Flood, the HR numbers are a product of the time. I don't give them too much credence honestly. I think Yankee Stadium is a little prone to the homerun from lefties as well.

If over the next 3 years the infield continues to produce I'll entertain the idea but at the moment it feels a little rushed. Its all about longevity to me, not one good year here or there.

And I don't think Jeter is the offensive threat Banks, Ripken, or Wagner were. He's more comparable to Wagner but that's only because Wagner played in the dead ball era. Both Ripken and Banks were far more powerful hitters.

And for me it comes down to eras. You just can't compare too many. I mean in 1979 three of the four Dodger infielders had 20+ homeruns. In 1979 that was amazingly good. Now it would be just okay. Also, if the Cubs moved Soriano to the infield they would have three guys who would hit 30+ homeruns so this whole deal is a little Yankee-centric to me.

No mentioning of Brett Gardner? The dude is gonna be the next Rickey Henderson.

i love gardner, he doesn't have the full on power of henderson, but hes got amazing speed, and has a really good sense of his speed vs the pitchers movement... if he can improve his offensive numbers a tad he'll be really dangerous

And I don't think Jeter is the offensive threat Banks, Ripken, or Wagner were. He's more comparable to Wagner but that's only because Wagner played in the dead ball era. Both Ripken and Banks were far more powerful hitters.

he doesn't have the power numbers of those three.. but Jeter has a better career avg, obp, slg, and ops than ripken does, and is above banks in all those categories except slg...which hes close. so hes definitely up there.

you also have to look at it as a product of all 4 players.... you have two of the best power hitters in baseball at the corners, a guy who hits a good number of HRs and hits for a high average at 2nd, and a boggs/gwynn type hitter at short.... you can't give me a 4some to line up with that