MLB Discussion

the Phillies' pen is in trouble, an especially bad thing this late in the season. they can't decide who will be the closer, Lidge or Madson. Moyer is unhappy about being in the pen and doing mop up work for Pedro, who took his spot in the rotation. if anything causes the Phillies to struggle in the playoffs it will be their bullpen.

i was at the monday 1:05 game. at first i was disappointed that he didn't get a hit until i saw he didn't get a hit for the next two games so i knew that if i went to another game that week (besides thursdays) i didn't miss anything.

its supposed to rain all day and tomorrow and sunday i think its just gonna rain earlier in the day so since its a 1:05 game, you will probably have to wait till later in the day, maybe that night.

they still might be able to get all the games in. it's suppose to stop raining, or at least not as hard tonight. the drainage system they have at the new stadium is state of the art. i was at the first Cubs exhibition game in April where it rained all day long. they took the tarp off about 30 minutes before game time and it formed a huge puddle in shallow right field. the puddle disappeared within 5 minutes. there were no puddles anywhere by first pitch.

Jeter broke the record in the bottom of the third tonight on a single to right field.

yeah its cool. I like Keith Olbermanns take on it.

This is not a knock against Derek Jeter, who has been a credit to his franchise and the game since 1995, and who has never been anything but courteous and professional in his dealings with me (and everybody else I knew). This is not, in fact, about Jeter.

But I wish there would be a little more emphasis of the caveat in all of the discussion of Jeter's having reached within four hits of breaking Lou Gehrig's Yankees franchise record of 2,721, that Gehrig stopped accumulating them when he was 35 years old, because he contracted a fatal disease that would claim his life.

I made this point years ago, as Cal Ripken approached Gehrig's consecutive games played streak. It needs to be said again that Gehrig didn't stop because of loss of talent, or retirement, or failure. And most remarkably of all, it should be emphasized that at least the last 174 of Gehrig's hits (just as was the case for at least the last 165 of his games played), certainly came after Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis had already begun to kill him.

Again, nothing to take away from Jeter's accomplishments. Just a reminder of the remarkable quality of Gehrig's, and that as time guarantees that his name will become harder and harder to find in the record books, he should never be forgotten.

Also keep in mind that many outfields, including Yankee Stadium (the old one) weren't 30+ feet shorter like they were in Jeter's day. How many of Jeter's HR's would drop for outs, or how many of Gehrig's outs would have gone for HR's if they played on an equal field? But that's really a moot point, because times change and there's nothing anyone can do about it.

As a Red Sox fan, it's always fun to hate on Jeter, but he really is a classy athlete who has kept himself above the stuff that tarnished other plays. He always plays with his head up and plays all out. I like to laugh at it, but how many other players would have dove face-first into the seats for that one foul ball that knocked him a little loopy?

But with that said, who saw the Yanks give up a grand slam to the super-threatening Orioles today?

Also keep in mind that many outfields, including Yankee Stadium (the old one) weren't 30+ feet shorter like they were in Jeter's day. How many of Jeter's HR's would drop for outs, or how many of Gehrig's outs would have gone for HR's if they played on an equal field? But that's really a moot point, because times change and there's nothing anyone can do about it.

As a Red Sox fan, it's always fun to hate on Jeter, but he really is a classy athlete who has kept himself above the stuff that tarnished other plays. He always plays with his head up and plays all out. I like to laugh at it, but how many other players would have dove face-first into the seats for that one foul ball that knocked him a little loopy?

But with that said, who saw the Yanks give up a grand slam to the super-threatening Orioles today?

when they showed that Jeter had broken the record on the board at Fenway, everyone applauded.

also, lol at dropping 2 to the Orioles

also, lol at dropping 2 to the Orioles

lol at being 7 games behind the yankees ;)

sunday game was a weird combo of horribly sloppy, and an epic beat down... i went with two of the dudes from btmi! and some friends from work... one of the most fun times i've ever had at a game.

Chamberlain/Weaver match up tonite. Should be a good one.

Just wish Id be home from work in time to watch it.

the Angels Yanks series should be a good post season preview. it will indicate how each team should fair come play off time. but the pitching matchup is essentially Yankees' bullpen vs. Weaver. Joba is our worst starter right now. they won't let him go past 4 innings no matter how good he's doing. he's been horrible since the all star break and struggles in the early innings, the only innings they let him pitch.

I think the Angels starters are really turning it around. Everyone has been doing well for at least the last few starts except Santana is still up and down.

Angels got the 1 game in NY today then Boston for 3 and then Texas for 3 and then the Yankees come to Anaheim for 3. We'll see what the Angels are really made of over the next couple weeks. I just wish they would give Jepsen the closer job. Let Fuentes go in for middle relief or something. I hate that guy.

That pitching matchup is going to be disappointing tonight. Joba hasn't pitched more than 3 innings in his last 5 starts.

they're not letting him go past 4 to save his young arm. instead of being on a pitch count they have him on an innings limit now because he already surpassed his pitch count for the season. they don't want to put him in the bullpen because Phil Hughes has been lights out since being moved to the pen in early June.

dude, let him pitch. They are making him so soft and at this rate, they won't let him go for another 3 years. Quit wasting him!

i've been saying that for 2 years now. i was fine with the pitch limits when they first called him up. now they're just babying him to the point where it will wind up costing the team games heading down the stretch and into the post season. i'm fearing what they will do with him once Rivera retires, i'm sure his name will be tossed around as replcing him as closer, but they will let him go every other day and it will eventually turn into a closer by commitee situation.