MLB Discussion

Sabathia, Hughes, Burnett, Nova, Mitre.

That is the Yankees projected starting rotation. Going to be a rough year for New York, especially if A-Rod, Teixiera, and Jeter don't step it up a level from last year.

Having Soriano/Rivera at the back of the pen is a huge help to their rotation. I still pick Boston to win the East but Im sure they will both make the playoffs this year. That division is gonna be pretty weak aside from those 2 teams. O's, TB and the Jays are going to be WAY behind the Sox and Yanks.

Sabathia, Hughes, Burnett, Nova, Mitre.

That is the Yankees projected starting rotation. Going to be a rough year for New York, especially if A-Rod, Teixiera, and Jeter don't step it up a level from last year.

Having Soriano/Rivera at the back of the pen is a huge help to their rotation. I still pick Boston to win the East but Im sure they will both make the playoffs this year. That division is gonna be pretty weak aside from those 2 teams. O's, TB and the Jays are going to be WAY behind the Sox and Yanks.

I disagree. AJ Burnett as your 3rd starter? They can't hit their way out of that mess. Compare the above rotation to Price, Shields, Hellickson, Davis, Niemann. Boston will win, the Rays and Yankees will battle for 2nd, and the wild card will come out of the central.

lets not get silly here. CC is top 3 pitchers in the AL. Hughes posted 18 wins last year. Burnett is definitely iffy... and 4+5 will most likely be rookies... i'm ok with that.

the lineup is still arguably the best in baseball... look at last years #'s (out of all of MLB)

#1 in runs scored by about 40.

#7 in hits

#3 in Homeruns

#1 in RBI by about 40

#2 in walks

#18 in strikeouts

#1 in OBP

those are some pretty impressive numbers, despite off years from Tex and Jeter..

the yanks will make the playoffs, and as always the Wildcard will come out of the east

I disagree. AJ Burnett as your 3rd starter? They can't hit their way out of that mess. Compare the above rotation to Price, Shields, Hellickson, Davis, Niemann. Boston will win, the Rays and Yankees will battle for 2nd, and the wild card will come out of the central.

Rays lost quite a few pieces this offseason. They dont have a very good offense. I really dont see them being competitive with the Yanks/Sox.

lets not get silly here. CC is top 3 pitchers in the AL. Hughes posted 18 wins last year. Burnett is definitely iffy... and 4+5 will most likely be rookies... i'm ok with that.

the lineup is still arguably the best in baseball... look at last years #'s (out of all of MLB)

#1 in runs scored by about 40.

#7 in hits

#3 in Homeruns

#1 in RBI by about 40

#2 in walks

#18 in strikeouts

#1 in OBP

those are some pretty impressive numbers, despite off years from Tex and Jeter..

the yanks will make the playoffs, and as always the Wildcard will come out of the east

The Yankees have 1 proven starter. CC is the man, no doubt. Lets not forget Hughes has had ONE good complete season. I think he will hold up again but he is definitely unproven. Then you really have no idea what you're gonna get from Burnett. Then follow that with 2 rookies. I wouldnt have too much confidence in that staff going into the season. Having those 2 dudes at the back of the pen is definitely going to help that rotation tho plus like you said, they have one of the best offenses in the league. They should be fine and should at least get the Wild Card unless there is a breakout team in another AL division.

scary statistic of the week:

the players the Rays lost this off season signed for a total of $215M already (not sure if that includes soriano or not) I guess a decade of #1 draft picks pays off.... and supposedly they get 7 of the first 75 picks 12 of the first 88 picks of this next draft, and that bumps to 13 if San Diego takes that last guy.

What is the Rays lineup going to look like?

Only guys I can even think of are Longoria, Upton and Zobrist.

Also Longoria is the biggest bargain in all of baseball. I think he signed a 6 year/$18M contract or something. They have him locked up for a few more years but there is no way in hell they will be able to afford him after that. Hopefully he wants to come back to So Cal after his contract is up. He is from the same city that Ive lived in my entire life.

yeah at this point he's pretty much just screwing over some kid that is trying to advance his way through the system and get called up to the show for the first time. the only thing he has left to play for is a world series ring, but he won't get that in colorado and definitely won't get one in Triple-A.

MLB Network is doing a list of top 10 prospects at each position.

The Angels' Mike Trout who is only 19 tops the list ahead of Bryce Harper. Pretty impressive considering how much hype surrounds everything Harper does. This kid Trout looks incredible so far...its only been 1 minor league season but he is gonna be really good.

The Angels' Mike Trout who is only 19 tops the list ahead of Bryce Harper. Pretty impressive considering how much hype surrounds everything Harper does. This kid Trout looks incredible so far...its only been 1 minor league season but he is gonna be really good.

I don't know anything about Trout except what I just googled, but I'm not really impressed. 11 Dingers in 175 games of A ball? The steals are high, but the best speed guy isn't as valuable as the best power hitter (except for maybe Ricky Henderson). I'm sure the Angels would gladly take Harper over Trout, money being equal.

yeah but its a potential boon for the AAA club... i know whenever a former major leaguer of any stature ended up on one of the smaller CT teams, more people came out to check it out

that doesn't really do anything for the players in the farm system or the MLB organization itself. the revenue generated from attendance because people want to see a former major leaguer play doesn't go in the pockets of the MLB franchise, most minor league teams are privately owned. from a pure baseball standpoint Giambi signing a minor league deal does more harm than good.

I don't know anything about Trout except what I just googled, but I'm not really impressed. 11 Dingers in 175 games of A ball? The steals are high, but the best speed guy isn't as valuable as the best power hitter (except for maybe Ricky Henderson). I'm sure the Angels would gladly take Harper over Trout, money being equal.

I would assume the people ranking these know a little bit more about these players than anyone can get from a quick google search.

I would assume the people ranking these know a little bit more about these players than anyone can get from a quick google search.

Except that Trout has no power, Bryce Harper has crazy power hitter, and historically the guys that are the most valuable are power hitters.

Not saying Trout is bad. He is in the top 10 of every prospect list I've seen for 2011. Just saying Harper gets the hype for a reason. He's up there with Justin Upton, A-Rod, Ken Griffey Jr--The type of hitting prospects that come along about once ever 5 years. Most rankings have him as the best prospect. The one you saw was the outlier.

harper is being judged on just 35 professional at-bats; where he struck out 1/3 of the time. he had a high AVG and OBP, but because he had so few at bats i don't think that matters. the number that stands out the most is his strike out ratio. he had a few games where he struck out twice. he could collapse under all the hype, expectations and pressure. he could very well wind up being a bust.

people are going bat shit crazy over JC stats and things on his highlight reel, which is all against JC pitchers who weren't good enough to get drafted high or at all out of high school or get a D-1 scholarship. i hope the kid pans out and has a great career because he'll be fun to watch.