MLB Discussion

harper is being judged on just 35 professional at-bats; where he struck out 1/3 of the time. he had a high AVG and OBP, but because he had so few at bats i don't think that matters. the number that stands out the most is his strike out ratio. he had a few games where he struck out twice. he could collapse under all the hype, expectations and pressure. he could very well wind up being a bust.

people are going bat shit crazy over JC stats and things on his highlight reel, which is all against JC pitchers who weren't good enough to get drafted high or at all out of high school or get a D-1 scholarship. i hope the kid pans out and has a great career because he'll be fun to watch.

valid points. Junior College, division 1, A ball stats--none of them translate directly to the majors. An 18 year old capable of hitting an upper deck home run is rare though. He deserves the hype.

harper is being judged on just 35 professional at-bats; where he struck out 1/3 of the time. he had a high AVG and OBP, but because he had so few at bats i don't think that matters. the number that stands out the most is his strike out ratio. he had a few games where he struck out twice. he could collapse under all the hype, expectations and pressure. he could very well wind up being a bust.

people are going bat shit crazy over JC stats and things on his highlight reel, which is all against JC pitchers who weren't good enough to get drafted high or at all out of high school or get a D-1 scholarship. i hope the kid pans out and has a great career because he'll be fun to watch.

valid points. Junior College, division 1, A ball stats--none of them translate directly to the majors. An 18 year old capable of hitting an upper deck home run is rare though. He deserves the hype.

i saw a high school sophomore hit one out to left at Citizens Bank Park in a regional all-star game that is made up of mostly seniors going on to divison 1 colleges. not an upper deck/second deck shot but at least 10 rows deep.

Yea thats a pretty bad contract to take on. There is no possible way he is going to be worth that much.

As long as it doesnt keep them from spending more cause they still have a few holes to fill.

Napoli wasnt going to get much playing time (even tho he should) and Rivera isnt a big loss so at least they didnt give up much. I just cant believe they didnt get Toronto to pick up any of Wells' contract.

They are going to have maybe the best defensive OF in the league tho. They have 3 center fielders all starting now. 2 of them have multiple gold gloves and Bourjos looks like he could win a few himself. Wells adds a little power to a lineup that needs it. Its a ridiculous contract to take on but he could help them out and make them a better team.

My opinion of Napoli isn't that high. If he could play defense, he would be a good catcher. If you want to go with offense over defense at catcher that is fine, but you better be getting Victor Martinez type numbers. Defense is too important at that position. Obviously Well's salary was the important part of the deal though.

I'd agree it's a puzzling move and one I wouldn't have made, but then again no one wanted Alex Rios and his contract. That worked out really well for the white sox so far so who knows.

So pumped for baseball to start again. I do a 14 team keeper fantasy league. First year we keep 3, next 5, next 7, and then we start over again.

In this kind of format, would you draft Hanley or Pujols first? Pujols is just ridiculously good and consistent, but Hanley has the premium position and is younger.

Hope fantasy talk is ok for this forum...

So I guess the Wells trade wasnt that bad. Just found out the Angels got $5M from the Jays haha.

Only Angel prospect on the top 50 list was Trout but he was named #1 overall prospect. Pretty exciting as an Angel fan. Harper was third. I think Dominic Brown of the Phillies was #2 (could be remembering that wrong)

Wells is a great player...he kills the Rangers every time he plays them. It's just a ridiculous contract. I bet if the Angels told the Blue Jays to send cash over, they would have been more than willing to help pay for the guy.

He is a great player and the Angels have much deeper pockets than the Jays. I think it's a greta move for both teams.

So I guess the Wells trade wasnt that bad. Just found out the Angels got $5M from the Jays haha.

Only Angel prospect on the top 50 list was Trout but he was named #1 overall prospect. Pretty exciting as an Angel fan. Harper was third. I think Dominic Brown of the Phillies was #2 (could be remembering that wrong)

Hellickson was second.

Hellickson was second.

I've got him in my fantasy league. I'm hoping he starts the season in the minors so I can hold on to him and don't have to drop him. We're only allowed to hold on to one minor league player and I've got him and Drybek.

wow the yanks have 3 of the best 10 catching prospects... thats pretty insane.

What's more insane is that they haven't traded them away yet.

thats not a new trend. the past couple years they've been hanging on to prospects. which is why they didnt land Cliff Lee the past two years at the deadline. and the main reason why they haven't traded any of those three guys because the market for catchers is pretty slim. plus Montero will likely not be a catcher at the big league level, at least not for long, maybe a season or two. so they need a contingency plan for when Montero isn't behind the palte anymore and in case either Romine or Sanchez don't pan out.

right now Romine is further along in development than Sanchez even though Sanchez is rated as a higher prospect. Romine can't hit but his defense and awareness are great. he can call a good game. Sanchez hasn't played above low A ball yet.

but the Yankees do need to figure out what to do with Montero, either leave him as a catcher or move him to first base now, because if they don't it will take another year or two for him to learn how to play first base. he's getting a shot at catcher this spring, but in all likelihood he will start the season at Triple A.

What's more insane is that they haven't traded them away yet.

thats not a new trend. the past couple years they've been hanging on to prospects. which is why they didnt land Cliff Lee the past two years at the deadline. and the main reason why they haven't traded any of those three guys because the market for catchers is pretty slim. plus Montero will likely not be a catcher at the big league level, at least not for long, maybe a season or two. so they need a contingency plan for when Montero isn't behind the palte anymore and in case either Romine or Sanchez don't pan out.

right now Romine is further along in development than Sanchez even though Sanchez is rated as a higher prospect. Romine can't hit but his defense and awareness are great. he can call a good game. Sanchez hasn't played above low A ball yet.

but the Yankees do need to figure out what to do with Montero, either leave him as a catcher or move him to first base now, because if they don't it will take another year or two for him to learn how to play first base. he's getting a shot at catcher this spring, but in all likelihood he will start the season at Triple A.

Even if the yankees trade their prospects away at the same rate as any other team, it is surprising they haven't made a move with one. It's team management 101. You can only play one of them most of the time, so move that depth to a position it is needed at more.

Tigers could definitely use a good catching prospect. I don't think Avila is going to be more than an above average backup.

Hellickson was second.

I've got him in my fantasy league. I'm hoping he starts the season in the minors so I can hold on to him and don't have to drop him. We're only allowed to hold on to one minor league player and I've got him and Drybek.

Hellickson is almost certainly going to start in the majors. He is the reason Matt Garza was expendable.