MLB Discussion

Greinke cracked a rib playing basketball and will start the season on the DL

talk about a team that can't catch a break.

Yeah tell me about it! Sucks I was just reading about this today, I'm glad he was upfront about it really sucks that it was a non baseball injury. But either way its an injury and hopefully he wont miss too many actual games.

I would have traded Papelbon and given the closer job to Bard.

fixed

No. Papelbon does not have closer's stuff anymore. I think he could be a successful 3rd starter though. On a pitching staff with Dice-K, Beckett, and Lackey, one of them will be injured or ineffective at some point in the season. There would be innings.

I don't see it. If he doesn't have the stuff to throw one inning, then he isn't going to have the stuff to last 5-9 innings. Sure, he could take up innings but I wouldn't bank on it since he would have to double his innings from the previous year. I would have traded him while he still had some perceived value as a closer and let someone else deal with his decline and I would do the same with Joba.

If he isnt going to close then the Sox dont need him. They dont need him as a starter. Their staff is pretty set. Dont forget they have Lester too.

A lot of teams would take him for their pen but not everyone can afford to pay someone in their pen $12M/year if he isnt a dominant closer.

I disagree they don't need a starter. They SHOULDN'T need a starter considering all the money they have spent, but look at these stats:

(5.78, 1.54) (4.40, 1.42) (4.69, 1.37)

Those are the ERAs and WHIPs of Beckett, Lackey, and Dice-K. Those are average to terrible numbers. Papelbon's numbers are (3.90, 1.27). The stretch is that I think he could put up numbers similar to those over 7 innings rather than one, but I think he would. He's not a guy dialing it up to 98 mph for one inning. Those guys couldn't transition.

I think the walks would go down as well. If he isn't put in a position where he is expected to be perfect, maybe he can change the way he pitches a little more. If a guy gets on base against a starter it isn't a big deal. If they get on base against a closer you immediately think of the possibility of an implosion.

He started in the minors so we know he can do it given the time to stretch his arm out. I'm not saying it's the only way you can play the Papelbon situation, just that I think it is at least worth considering...

I don't see it. If he doesn't have the stuff to throw one inning, then he isn't going to have the stuff to last 5-9 innings. Sure, he could take up innings but I wouldn't bank on it since he would have to double his innings from the previous year. I would have traded him while he still had some perceived value as a closer and let someone else deal with his decline and I would do the same with Joba.

Agreed this would have been the best thing to do in hindsight. It's pretty hard to do in practice though. How do you know know a player is on the decline until they start pitching bad? Once they've started to pitch bad for a little while, don't the other teams see this as well and wonder why you are trying to unload them?

Just finished my Fantasy draft. 14 team keeper league where we will keep 4 next year. I had 12th pick. 5 x 5 Rotisserie. I got:

C Mike Napoli

1B Pablo Sandoval

2B Robinson Cano

SS Jose Reyes

3B Aramis Ramirez

OF Rajai Davis

OF Bobby Abreu

OF Micheal Morse

Util Carlos Lee

SP Cliff Lee

SP Cole Hamels

RP Carlos Marmol

RP Mariano Rivera

P Shaun Marcum

P Jake Mcgee

P Dan Hudson

B Tim Stauffer

B Koji Uehara

B Michael Pineda

B Wilton Lopez

B Mike Moustakas

I really like my pitching staff. I am a little power starved on the offensive side. Good thing is, though, that my weakest positions are OF and Util, which are the easiest ones to upgrade. I think I put together a good squad.