MLB Discussion

boy howdy, that was a rough weekend.

rangers bats were scorching all weekend.

it was nice to see crawford bounce back with a good day at the plate. and if it werent for that center field wind, ortiz would also be looking at 3 dingers in 3 days.

That wind didn't stop Kinsler or Cruz or Napoli or Murphy from going deep :)

boy howdy, that was a rough weekend.

rangers bats were scorching all weekend.

it was nice to see crawford bounce back with a good day at the plate. and if it werent for that center field wind, ortiz would also be looking at 3 dingers in 3 days.

That wind didn't stop Kinsler or Cruz or Napoli or Murphy from going deep :)

it certainly didnt. siiighhh...

but theres no doubt ortiz's center field shot had another 30 ft without wind.

but that series is to be forgotten now. they better take no mercy on the indians.

The Sox will settle in and start winning some games. It was the first weekend and you really can't use the first three games of the season as scale for how a team is going to do for the rest of the season.

With the talent the Sox have there's no way they won't be in line for the playoffs.

Look how well they did last year with all the injuries they had.

oh im well aware. believe me, the boston sports radio station has been a total shit show since friday. everyone's in panic mode, and its fucking annoying.

i know this team is good. i know theyre going to have a solid year at worst.

but obviously, after that tough of a weekend, im just a bit deflated. and the fucking celtics didnt do a damn thing to alleviate that.

lol

the beginning of the season really is the worst time. if your team starts off slow everyone in the media gets in a panic. if the team starts off quick then everyone in the media acts like they're winning it all this year.

the toronto sports media (and the fans) have been horrible the past couple of days. the jays win their first two games and hit a bunch of home runs and all of the sudden they're winning the world series and all this.

the beginning of the season really is the worst time. if your team starts off slow everyone in the media gets in a panic.

That's exactly why I'm glad the Rangers started off well. If the Rangers had been swept, the media would be calling last season a fluke.

Last year was a bit of a fluke. You're not going to win too many championships with two 40+ year olds in your bullpen.

Your team was outscored 29-12 (in 5 games) in the world series last year. I thought that showed them making it there was a bit of a fluke to begin with.

I'm getting sick of Joe Giradi and his over managing. CC's 7 innings of hitless ball, and Giradi pulls him...looked what happen

On a brighter note though, Teixeira is sure kicking some ass already this season.

I can't stand Girardi. He makes some very odd decisions with the bullpen. Admittedly going to Soriano/Rivera isn't one of them but pulling CC in that spot is pretty unforgivable. This wasn't Ivan Nova we're talking about, treat CC like the Cy Young award winner he is and let him do what he was signed for.

I can also see tinkering with the Jeter/Gardner line-up becoming annoying quickly as well. I like Gardy at 9th personally.

Hellickson with 10k's in 5.2 innings today. That's pretty impressive.

If the Rays offense could have actually scored some runs it would have been nice.

It's going to be a long season for the Rays. I was just talking to a friend who is a Rays fan and discussed how any team with Dan Johnson at clean-up is not in line to contend.

The real problem long term for Tampa is that their best prospects are all pitchers but they need a couple of bats. It'll be interesting to see if management makes some trades or opts to leave this season as a rebuilding year and lets their minor system develop some more. This is more in line with past strategies and they are a pretty patient franchise. It's sad though that their fan base isn't and they have yet to cultivate a large enough hard-core base to really survive long without getting some W's on the board.

That's exactly why I'm glad the Rangers started off well. If the Rangers had been swept, the media would be calling last season a fluke.

Last year was a bit of a fluke. You're not going to win too many championships with two 40+ year olds in your bullpen.

Your team was outscored 29-12 (in 5 games) in the world series last year. I thought that showed them making it there was a bit of a fluke to begin with.

This has to be one of the most retarded statements I've ever read.

no team has gone on a 5 game losing streak, and gone on to win a world series since... well the 2010 san francisco giants.

again. im not in panic mode. just (severely) annoyed.

the sox got off to a terrible april last year, and at one point were first place contenders after a stretch of going 40-21. and then dustin pedroia got hurt.

there are still 157 games left. blah blah blah.

BUT FUCKIN' COM ON!!!! 3 OUT OF YOUR 5 STARTERS GAVE UP A HOME RUN IN THEIR FIRST INNINGS OF 2011!! (bucholz at least waited til the 2nd...)

i wanted to blame salty for being a shit catcher. even had the balls to call a dice-k no hitter last night, knowing tek would be catching tonight. but he wastes no time giving up a single to start the game. and of course, followed it up with a 2-run shot.

another fun fact? dice-k gave up one earned run to the indians last year; on a shin su choo solo shot. choo then doubled both his and then indians run totals against him IN HIS FIRST INNING OF THE YEAR.

Hellickson with 10k's in 5.2 innings today. That's pretty impressive.

If the Rays offense could have actually scored some runs it would have been nice.

It's going to be a long season for the Rays. I was just talking to a friend who is a Rays fan and discussed how any team with Dan Johnson at clean-up is not in line to contend.

The real problem long term for Tampa is that their best prospects are all pitchers but they need a couple of bats. It'll be interesting to see if management makes some trades or opts to leave this season as a rebuilding year and lets their minor system develop some more. This is more in line with past strategies and they are a pretty patient franchise. It's sad though that their fan base isn't and they have yet to cultivate a large enough hard-core base to really survive long without getting some W's on the board.

This is wrong. See: Desmond Jennings. If Manny can't turn it around (I realize it is early, but when you are talking about a guy who is 40 the concern meter shoots up a lot quicker), Jennings will be up very quickly.

Napoli is best bet in entire game for 30+ bombs out of a catcher (even though he really isn't a catcher anymore). Really happy I drafted that dude.

ummmm what are you smoking?

he's never hit 30 in a season his entire career.

He's come close many years, and he has never played in Texas.

If he gets 500 ABs, he will hit 30 guaranteed. If it is 400, he will hit in the 20s again.

This is wrong. See: Desmond Jennings. If Manny can't turn it around (I realize it is early, but when you are talking about a guy who is 40 the concern meter shoots up a lot quicker), Jennings will be up very quickly.

i dont see manny picking it up- which is sad. dude showed his age with the chisox real bad last year. 1 rbi i think?

honestly, i was a little worried about manny going to the rays, solely because that would mean facing him at fenway park 9 times this year.

but now... not so worried.

but like i said, its sad to see him decline. i dont care how bad things were when he left town- i never wanted it to happen, and i miss him like hell.