MLB Discussion

I want more than anything in the world for the Yankees to not get what they want...ie Cliff Lee. I'm sick of them being able to just flash around their money and get any player to jump over.

This, 1000%

Id have a lot more respect for a player who doesnt take the extra couple million to go to NY. That just seems like the easy thing to do when you're a big name free agent. No matter where Lee ends up he's getting a huge payday.

As much as Im bummed about Crawford going to Boston, Im glad he didnt go to NY. Now if NY misses out on Lee they have no one else to go after. Id like to see just one offseason where the Yankees dont get exactly what they want. Who are we kidding tho? We all know he's gonna go to NY and I see NY just raising their offer higher and higher until Lee says yes. I really hope Im wrong tho.

They were talking about this on sports radio in boston and i was saying to myself how almost comical it would be that the Yankees don't get Lee, Crawford, but, they got 42 year old Mo and 36 Yr old Jeter, and their pitching lineup could look like Hughes, CC and Burnett..

I mean, I am sure Lee will go to the Yankees and they will just give him a blank check...Am wondering what Lee would look like..even 3 years from now, pitching in a tougher division, and being under the NY microscope..

Lee has been the most interesting FA I think in a few years. No one can really tell where he will go. Everyone assumes NY cause of the money, bu you can see him staying in Texas, LA is a fit, Philly says they arent after him, but said that about Halladay,and Lee before, and could have let Werth go, so they had money to sign Lee. Would make no sense to trade him away to begin with, but stranger things have happened. I heard Nats were interested in having him around for Phenom to learn from.

I want more than anything in the world for the Yankees to not get what they want...ie Cliff Lee. I'm sick of them being able to just flash around their money and get any player to jump over.

Id have a lot more respect for a player who doesnt take the extra couple million to go to NY. That just seems like the easy thing to do when you're a big name free agent. No matter where Lee ends up he's getting a huge payday.

This is exactly my feeling, I'd have way more respect for Lee if he just is like yeah that's a lot of money, but I'm going to stick with Texas. I mean nothing is a sure thing, but I'd say its probably 50/50 of him going to either team at this point. I was reading an article about him and his agent said that they've eliminated an entire team from the running(and its not the Rangers) My guess is thats the Angels and there are only two teams left that being Texas and NY. We'll see what happens though.

Why would you respect Lee more if he stayed with the Rangers? They only had him half a season. Had he came up with them, or they took a chance on him when no one else did and he broke out with them I can see, but I think all loyality is thrown out the window when its just half a season. Flip side though, is he could be sick of bouncing around so damn much the past two years that he stays in texas. Should get a no trade clause though.

Im in no way a Rangers fan, so I don't care if he sticks with them or not. I was just saying out of the two teams( at least I think its just those two currently if the Angels are out) in the running for him I'd like him to pick the Rangers. Really anyone other than the Yankees would be fine in my book. Just saying I'd have more respect for him if he turns down the Yankees and I think that's how that conversation would go. 500th post!

Congrats man! I think everyone wants to see him spurn the Yanks. If the Redsox were interested Id hope he would spurn them too. Id like to see him stay in Texas as they came so close last year and he would make a big difference to that team. As a Phillies fan, Id love to have him, but there is just no way we can afford him, and ace pitcher isnt our biggest need.

Anyone remember back when Turk Wendelton tried to sign a contract to play for free becuase he loved to pitch and the players union balked at it and told him he couldnt so he then went out and signed the biggest contract he could and just donated it all? Anytime the Yanks throw money at someone it reminds me of that.

Turk Wendelton

i believe you mean Turk Wendell, but yes. that was a cool story. that guy had a couple screws loose, i think (not because he wanted to play for free, but because some of the other stuff he did/said in his career).

Wasnt that the dude that would always jump over the foul line and like brush his teeth between innings and shit like that?

yes.

[image]

"The eccentric reliever pitched for four teams between 1993 and 2004 and posted some solid seasons in that span. However, he’s most remembered for his vast collection of bizarre superstitions. Among Wendell’s more notable quirks was his requirement that he chew four pieces of black licorice while pitching. At the end of each inning, he’d spit them out, return to the dugout, and brush his teeth, but only after taking a flying leap over the baseline. Wendell, an avid hunter, also took the mound wearing a necklace adorned with trophies from animals he had harvested, including mountain lion claws and the teeth of wild pigs and buffalo. When compared to these superstitions, Wendell’s other little oddities (drawing three crosses in the dirt on the mound, always throwing the rosin bag down as hard as he could, and insisting figures in his contract end in 99 as a tribute to his jersey number) don’t seem so strange."

regarding Maddux:

"There was the time he was in the dugout decoding the body language of Jose Hernandez of the Dodgers during an at-bat when he deadpanned to a teammate, "Watch this. The first base coach may be going to the hospital." On the next pitch Hernandez drilled a line drive off the chest of the first-base coach. Well, Maddux was wrong about the hospital part, anyway." - tom verducci

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- --

"Maddux is a master of strategically timed nose picking, sidling up to an unsuspecting rookie in the shower and urinating on the kid's leg...." - jerry crasnick

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- --

"I call him 'The Silent Scumbag,'" [David] Wells said. "You would perceive him to be Einstein because he's quiet and he's always sitting there at his locker with a crossword puzzle. But he's got a silent sickness to him, sort of like David Cone. Those quiet guys are the ones you have to watch out for."

"Oh, I've got a few (Maddux stories) but I don't think they're fit for print," San Diego Padres general manager Kevin Towers said. "But he was certainly a prankster and a lot of fun. All I can tell you is 'don't eat the chili.' I can't go any further than that."

"He used to light guys' shoes on fire all the time," LA Dodgers GM Ned Colletti said. "If somebody had a hot foot, 10 to 1 it was Greg who lit it."

In an article on MLB.com, former Braves pitcher Tom Glavine said "Unfortunately, you can't write half of the stuff he did, because he wasn't proper."

The story reported "many of Maddux's teammates would carefully reach into the bin of sanitary socks with the hope of finding two that he hadn't tarnished in some shape or form."

"He's the same dirtbag he's always been," Atlanta teammate Chipper Jones said, with a laugh, in the article. "He's one of the grossest guys I've ever been around in my life.

"That was part of his charm. That's how he kept the clubhouse mood light. That's how he entertained himself."

the thing with maddux and the first base coach getting hit isn;t all that eerie, it's something that could easily be predicted. if a guy is ripping liner after liner foul down the first base line behind the first base coach, its easy to think that if the batter adjusts his timing to sit on the next pitch longer, given he's a lefty, he would come closer to nailing the first base coach with a frozen rope.

there have been plenty of games i saw that i would say he's going to hit a home run next pitch or some time this at bat based off of how the batter crushed a few balls prior that went just foul.

it's also funny how people still hate and blame the yankees for spending money and being able to sign anyone they want after the nationals just spent $137 million and the red sox just spent $142 million on one player. plus the red sox will probably spend another $50-60 mil at least to resign a gone. meanwhile the two contracts the yankees have given out thus far don't total either werth or crawford's contract, they barely even cover half the cost.

the thing with maddux and the first base coach getting hit isn;t all that eerie, it's something that could easily be predicted. if a guy is ripping liner after liner foul down the first base line behind the first base coach, its easy to think that if the batter adjusts his timing to sit on the next pitch longer, given he's a lefty, he would come closer to nailing the first base coach with a frozen rope.

there have been plenty of games i saw that i would say he's going to hit a home run next pitch or some time this at bat based off of how the batter crushed a few balls prior that went just foul.

it's also funny how people still hate and blame the yankees for spending money and being able to sign anyone they want after the nationals just spent $137 million and the red sox just spent $142 million on one player. plus the red sox will probably spend another $50-60 mil at least to resign a gone. meanwhile the two contracts the yankees have given out thus far don't total either werth or crawford's contract, they barely even cover half the cost.

they havent signed cliff lee yet, which will be larger than either of those contracts