MLB Discussion

I see Crawford getting around the same as Werth. Watching him play everyday and you realize how great an arm Werth has, and how great on the basepaths he is. He might not have the speed of Crawford, but he can hit for more power, steal with better accuracy, and has a cannon for an arm. Crawford lives off his speed and slaptastic swing.

The Nationals definitely overpaid for Werth. He'll still perform well since he's staying in the NL, but I think Crawford will have better longevity.

they overpaid for werth because they had to. in order to get more free agents to go there they needed to sign one big name guy, preferably long term. and the only way to get a big name to go to washington is to to basically give him a blank check. their GM made this move knowing he was overpaying, but he made the move in hopes it will draw more free agents there. the nats are on a plan to compete in 2012. by that time they will have strasburg back, harper should be up in the bigs, werth will still be there, and they hope to have other first round draft picks up in the bigs as well with some more free agents with a plus side more than "we're signing these guys because we have a position thats needs filling and these guys are the only ones willing to come here."

personally i think they should have resigned adam dunn. he was very well liked in the club house and by the fans. plus he has more pop in his bat and would have come cheaper. i think by taking werth out of the phillies lineup his numbers will not be as good. dunn, other than strasburg, was the only reason fans were going to games. with both of them gone for the 2011 season, the nats will more likely than not, have attendance problems. after opening day no one will go.

I want more than anything in the world for the Yankees to not get what they want...ie Cliff Lee. I'm sick of them being able to just flash around their money and get any player to jump over.

This, 1000%

Id have a lot more respect for a player who doesnt take the extra couple million to go to NY. That just seems like the easy thing to do when you're a big name free agent. No matter where Lee ends up he's getting a huge payday.

As much as Im bummed about Crawford going to Boston, Im glad he didnt go to NY. Now if NY misses out on Lee they have no one else to go after. Id like to see just one offseason where the Yankees dont get exactly what they want. Who are we kidding tho? We all know he's gonna go to NY and I see NY just raising their offer higher and higher until Lee says yes. I really hope Im wrong tho.