MLB Discussion

That also means they aren't trading prince.

thats fine, theres no need to trade prince this winter/upcoming season anymore. they wanted rotation MLB ready arms for Prince, but theyve secured those needs without trading him. all the brewers need to do is re-stock the minors, worst case senario would be getting two comp picks for Prince for the 2012 draft. not really bummed by that, this team is too good right now worry about that.

I dont think the Angels are "out" on Beltre yet.

Their offer is more than he should even be getting anyways, he'd be lucky to sign a 5 year/$70MM contract at this point. Im fine with them not getting him if it means raising the amount of years or money. They desperately need someone to play third but that contract is more than Beltre even deserves.

This is what I just read about the situation

"Rosenthal adds that the Rangers are not active in the bidding, making the Angels' competition unclear. A month ago Beltre was said to have a dozen suitors, but many teams have filled third base holes since then. I think Boras could probably find several clubs willing to go to five years and $60MM or so, but there is no evidence the Angels need to increase their offer."

This is what I'm going off of:

http://www.halosheaven.com/2010/12/20/1888931/big-joe-mcdonnell-angels-out-on-beltre

But it looks as though the Angels may make a couple more moves. Doesn't bother me...I don't necessarily think the Rangers need him. I'm not a huge fan of Young being at third, so I'd love to get Beltre. But Young does fine.

I just dont get the big Beltre deal, and it seems that alot of GMs dont either. He had one good contract year, hosed the mariners into a big contract and sucked it up (at least he didnt suck on defense). Go to Sox for small deal, has good contract year, and is now looking to Wash, Rinse, Repeat.

Yea I agree with that. I think 5 years is too much and I think $70MM is too much.

The Angels just desperately need someone at 3B and they saved a lot of cash by not getting Crawford so they have a little extra cash to play with.

Beltre seems to be wanting a 6th year and/or somewhere around $85-$90MM which is just insane. If thats what it takes to get him Im fine with someone else picking up that contract.

will Saito close for them? Who will replace hoffman?

Axford, who replaced Hoffman last season, will be the closer again. Saito and Braddock will be the setup men in the 7th/8th inning from everything ive read. if axford struggles, i am sure Saito is going to step in, but he did well last season, I think he'll still be a successful closer this season.

It's looking like it's 5 years for $80M with a 6th year vesting option. If he doesn't reach certain thresholds, he won't get the 6th year. And they're saying it will likely include deferred money, which makes it less than $80M. This solves a couple of the Rangers problems. Now they won't have to sign a DH and they get rid of Michael Young's horrid defense while still keeping his pretty awesome bat. It's a win-win for the Rangers right now. But, Travis is correct...he's 31 and by the 4th or 5th year, he will be well overpaid.

Now I just hope Webb produces this year.