MLB Discussion

No doubt the experience helps, but if you look at Cabrera's fielding percentage in '06 through '08 at third, he was bad. He worked very hard to become a good fielding 1B, and that work is translating to third base. The work he put in at first over the last 3 or so years is way more important than experience he got playing third for the Marlins. They moved him outta that position in Detroit for a reason, and they moved him back because he corrected that reason (at least to the level of not being a liability).

Now watch him boot 3 balls tonight after I said all that...

Anyone think the Mets are legit? Can they finish with a record over .500?

I say no.

I'm a Met fan and .500 is a bit of a stretch primarily because someone is always injured. A lot of people were saying they we're going to lose 90+ games and thats not going to happen either.

...oh and some ignorant talk radio fodder. TRAID DAVID WRONGZ!

Yea I think eventually with enough practice Trumbo could be a competent third baseman. No way are they moving Pujols over there, he could probably do it but he's the first baseman until he cant play the field anymore in which case he will move to DH.

He did play some 3rd last year (with a bad fielding percentage, but small sample size).

I agree with you that it won't happen, but I think it's at least worth a thought.

Yea I think eventually with enough practice Trumbo could be a competent third baseman. No way are they moving Pujols over there, he could probably do it but he's the first baseman until he cant play the field anymore in which case he will move to DH.

He did play some 3rd last year (with a bad fielding percentage, but small sample size).

I agree with you that it won't happen, but I think it's at least worth a thought.

Not sure if you're talking about Trumbo playing third last year or not but this year is the first year he has ever played third. He's strictly been an OF-1B and this is including the minors.

When did he play third? I dont remember him ever playing there.

When did he play third? I dont remember him ever playing there.

If you're talking about Pujols playing third, he played 7 games there last year and committed 2 errors in 17 chances.

Putting Pujols at third is a bad idea. When you are paying someone that kinda money, you dont wanna take any more injury risk then you need to. Having him play a position that he isnt as comfortable with isnt worth putting Trumbo in the lineup. Just trade him or Morales for some 3B thats better than what they got.

Whatever happened to Mcpherson anyways? Wasnt he supposed to be some big hotshot third basemen along with Marte?

I didnt even know McPherson was still playing baseball at all. What a bust...if I remember correctly they traded Glaus to make room for him.

On a side note...Dodger fans are hilarious. I know far too many of them and they seriously act like they won the WS already haha. Im trying to explain to them that once Kemp returns to reality he could still very well be the best player in the game and walk away with the MVP but these numbers he's putting up so far this year will not last an entire season. His OPS is 1.435 so far. That wont last an entire season. He's got a .500 OB%. Just insane numbers. Once his numbers come down a bit I see them returning to the mediocre team that they are. Kemp is a beat, Ethier seems to be back to being a damn good player and Kershaw is nearly unhittable but other than that, they kinda suck.

Right, but I wouldnt call them a good team.

Plus for the most part all they have done is beat up on the Padres and Pirates....2 teams that will likely finish in the bottom 5 in all of baseball.

Thats the point they need to realize. They got off to a hot start cause they had an easy schedule. They could make a serious run at the division flag, the sale of the club has been a huge relief in the clubhouse.

Gordon is a career .297-.303 hitter in the minors, I dont think he will come close to hitting that in the majors, but the dude has some serious wheels.

Putting Pujols at third is a bad idea. When you are paying someone that kinda money, you dont wanna take any more injury risk then you need to. Having him play a position that he isnt as comfortable with isnt worth putting Trumbo in the lineup. Just trade him or Morales for some 3B thats better than what they got.

Whatever happened to Mcpherson anyways? Wasnt he supposed to be some big hotshot third basemen along with Marte?

I don't buy that the injury risk is any different at 3B than at 1B. They make the same plays (diving to get grounders, catching balls by the stands/dugouts, etc...). 3B will get more balls hit their way (because the number of right handers is greater than the number of lefties) but 1B are involved in way more plays (ie, potential for collisions).

The real question in my mind is how strong Pujols' arm is. I don't get to see him make many throws. Not sure he could make the off-balance throw from 3rd to 1st with some cheese on it.

Don't forget about Brandon Wood in the failed 3B prospects discussion, too.

Look at Cabrera over at third in spring training. Took that nasty hop into his face. Granted he was ok, but the injury concern comes from not being as familiar with the position. Not knowing how a ball will break, bounce, come off the bat at another position can make a huge difference.

Same ball hit by a lefty at the first basemen would have had the same outcome. It was just chance that it happened while he was at 3B. Sometimes they bounce funny. Doesn't bounce any differently on way to 3rd as it does to 1st.