MLB Discussion

I've got a risk reward pitching staff as well, and that is being generous. More of a hope and pray pitching staff.

C Miguel Montero, Ari C

2B/SS Brandon Phillips

2B/SS Dan Uggla

1B/3B Evan Longoria

1B/3B Ryan Zimmerman

OF Justin Upton

OF Jay Bruce

OF Alex Gordon

OF Michael Cuddyer

OF Coco Crisp

UTIL Pablo Sandoval

UTIL Jeff Francoeur

Bench Corey Hart

Bench Dexter Fowler

P Brandon McCarthy, Oak SP

P Jhoulys Chacin, Col SP

SP Zack Greinke, Mil SP

SP Brandon Beachy, Atl SP

SP Max Scherzer, Det SP

SP Ryan Dempster, ChC SP

RP John Axford, Mil RP

RP J.J. Putz, Ari RP

RP Kyle Farnsworth, TB RP

Bench Scott Baker, Min SP DTD

Bench Ivan Nova, NYY SP

Bench Carlos Zambrano, Mia SP

Nova is about to get dumped, since he is likely to start in bullpen. Nathan is on the wire so I might pick him up instead or go for a Lorenzo Cain style sleeper. Should someone start a fantasy thread already?

dear MLB... way to start the season today in japan and not tell anyone.

i was clueless.

went on mlb.com the other day looking for the opening day countdown..

it also doesnt help that they started the season almost 2 weeks before the rest of the league.

Really wish that Abreu deal would have gone thru. Even if they ended up paying most of the remaining salary. Im going to be pissed if he is in the line up over Trumbo or Morales at all.

Looks like Cain got a 5 year/$112.5M extension today

Also looks like Votta is going to be signing an extension with the Reds today. I REALLY hope he does cause I have a feeling he'll end up on the Dodgers next year if he becomes a FA and I dont wanna see them get any better :)

Anyone see Jimenez hit Tulo in the ST game? Guess that was in reponse to Tulo's comments about Jimenez a few weeks back. I back Tulo on this one. Its hard to be upset about not getting a massive contract extension when you've had 1/2 of a great season for your whole career.

Lots of stuff happening, the season needs to start already. Cant wait for Sunday when Ill be at the Angels/Royals game!

I back Ubaldo on that one. Even if he was throwing at him, he did the smart thing and was aiming at his body. He wasnt going for the head or anything. The Rockies would have kept Jimenez last year at the deadline if they werent sucking, it was a simple move to get some prospects they hope pan out.

I dont see how the new playoff format helps out Detroit this year. They are expected to run away with their division.

He only threw at him because Tulo basically called him out saying shut up and stop bitching about not getting a big extension with the Rockies cause he didnt deserve one and I have to agree with Tulo there...Jimenez didnt deserve one. Then to throw at him over that was pretty weak, even if he didnt throw at his head. Part of the game though.

Exactly, it is part of the game, and for Jim Tracy to say it is the most tasteless thing he has seen in 35 years of baseball is moronic. A guy trashes another player and then gets hit in the elbow during spring traning isnt that bad. And I still dont think he threw at him, he walked his first batter in four pitches. He wasnt demonstrating pinpoint control or anything.

Yea I dont think it was a huge deal but I absolutely think he was throwing at him. He figured he wouldnt get many chances to do that during the season so he took his shot in SP cause he also probably thought he wouldnt get suspended or anything.

Im just saying I think it was a cheap shot cause I believe it was intentional and I think the reason was he didnt like what Tulo said and I think Tulo was right in what he said. He was backing up his team and telling Jimenez to shut up and really, he should shut up. He's not that good. He just had an amazing 1/2 of a season.

Rumor is that the Votto extension is 10 years and almost exactly $200M.

Im sure he could have gotten another 10-20 mil easily in FA next off season but its nice to (hopefully) see a guy like that resign in a small market long term.

I will never understand how Cincinnati can sign Joey Votto for that much and The Padres couldn't resign Adrian Gonzalez. San Diego is a bigger market!

Rumor is that the Votto extension is 10 years and almost exactly $200M.

Im sure he could have gotten another 10-20 mil easily in FA next off season but its nice to (hopefully) see a guy like that resign in a small market long term.

I will never understand how Cincinnati can sign Joey Votto for that much and The Padres couldn't resign Adrian Gonzalez. San Diego is a bigger market!

They are both in the bottom quarter of baseball in terms of market size. I'm not so sure they "couldn't" resign Gonzo, rather that they thought it in their best interest not to.

There was a ton of talk today on the radio about how the new playoff system really benefits a team like detroit, and then forces texs/anaheim and new york/boston/tampa to really have to play balls to the wall the entire season.

I don't really understand what changed. Detroit plays in the weakest AL division. They would have been heavy favorites to make the playoffs under either system. Unless the point is that you should let the top X teams in based on record regardless of division.

Votto deal is done - 10 years/$225M

Thats a massive deal, especially for a small market team.

Yeah I would have rather the Tigs signed him instead of Prince (although they never would have had the opportunity). He's super reliable and doesn't come with the body-type issues that worry me about prince 8 years from now.

There was a ton of talk today on the radio about how the new playoff system really benefits a team like detroit, and then forces texs/anaheim and new york/boston/tampa to really have to play balls to the wall the entire season.

I don't really understand what changed. Detroit plays in the weakest AL division. They would have been heavy favorites to make the playoffs under either system. Unless the point is that you should let the top X teams in based on record regardless of division.

before if you were in a strong two team race you just had to out compete another wild card team... now with the one game play off between the two wild cards.. winning the division has a strong advantage... and since you're going to throw your ace in that game, you go into a short 5 game series starting your #2 guy... and since you play the majority of your schedule against same division teams.. Detroit should far and away end up with the best AL record.. not have to kill themselves to secure the division... and then face the crippled wild card team in the first round

It's not their fault that they play in a weaker division. If the Yankees win their division than they will get the same advantage. Besides that, I have a hard time saying that any of the AL divisions are weak when you compare them to the NL divisions. The Central has the Royals and Indians who could both be good as well as the White Sox who have some good players.

before if you were in a strong two team race you just had to out compete another wild card team... now with the one game play off between the two wild cards.. winning the division has a strong advantage... and since you're going to throw your ace in that game, you go into a short 5 game series starting your #2 guy... and since you play the majority of your schedule against same division teams.. Detroit should far and away end up with the best AL record.. not have to kill themselves to secure the division... and then face the crippled wild card team in the first round

No doubt, it is a great thing for the Tigers to play in the central. I think you are over dramatizing this, though. "Winning the division has a strong advantage?" Duh. You get in the playoffs if you do. Same as it has been for almost 20 years.

And no team is "crippled" because they have to throw their ace in a play-in game. Baseball playoffs are about just getting there and getting hot at the right time. Cardinals didn't need an "Ace" to win the series last year. They needed David Freese to set the postseason record for RBIs. Just caught a lucky break at the right time. If a team is competing for the wildcard, they probably have at least 3 good pitchers. Maybe you don't get to throw your optimal lineup at your opponent. Too bad. Still have a very good chance of winning the series.