MLB Discussion

I don't know how big a prospect Reddick was but I don't think he was a A+

He was highly regarded when he was in Boston's system. Any time they brought him up he never really produced, at least not at the level he is this season. Being a Boston fan I was actually a little sad to see him go. I always thought he was a great player with a lot of upside. Obviously he's shown that upside this season. A lot of baseball writers are saying it's a freak season and that he won't be able to duplicate these numbers next year. Which might be true. But you have to believe he'll still be very strong at the plate and be able to produce at an above average level.

ortiz's bat-flip was beastly tonight. even caught him glaring back at hellickson as he crossed the plate. maybe.. just maybe that first inning blast was him and the red sox sending a second half message.

and i dont know if anyones heard of this pedro ciriaco kid. hes been filling in for pedroia, and has 3 hits and a stolen base in each of the 3 games hes played. was just reading that if he does it again tomorrow, hell be the first person since cobb in 1920.

but silly and unrealistic stats aside, this kid has played a huge role... especially when his 2 run single was the difference maker tonight.

the sox have had stories like this for 3 or 4 seasons now. big name goes down, they call up some no-name, and for about a week he plays like a legend. happened last year with darnell macdonald providing a walk off hit in his first game, and then coming up clutch the following game too.

kalish and nava had similar situations when they first popped up a couple years ago as well.

Jinxed him. 0 - 8 next 2 games.

The Angels get no love anywhere so I gotta hype 'em as much as possible haha. Plus they are a damn good team but even in LA everyone only talks about the stupid Dodgers.

Trumbo got a cheap HR to make up for the bomb he hit early that didnt go out haha.

The Angels pen is starting the second half like they started the first half, I dont know if they could have done any worse so far in the second half. So disappointing, the Angels could easily be 3-1 since the break but since they apparently cant hold a lead they are 1-3.

Yea the one Trumbo hit out went 369, by cheap I meant he didnt really get all of it compared to the ball he hit about 420 ft. that was caught. The one that went out was kind of a pop-up. He got under it but apparently enough to get out. He has the longest average for all his HRs of anyone in the league. He averages about 420 ft. on his 25 HRs this year.

With Trout and Trumbo they Angels have been a lot of fun to watch this year.

The Angels get no love anywhere so I gotta hype 'em as much as possible haha. Plus they are a damn good team but even in LA everyone only talks about the stupid Dodgers.

I completely agree. Angels don't get attention because they have the Dodgers to compete with. I get it, Dodgers have history on their side and they're located right next to Downtown LA. It is a shame because the Angels consistently put out a solid team year after year.

I completely agree. Angels don't get attention because they have the Dodgers to compete with. I get it, Dodgers have history on their side and they're located right next to Downtown LA. It is a shame because the Angels consistently put out a solid team year after year.

Yea I get why the Angels are the "second' team in So Cal even though they have been the far more dominant team for about a decade.

In baseball the teams that play in the Central and East divisions get WAY more coverage than the teams who play in the West

Yea I get why the Angels are the "second' team in So Cal even though they have been the far more dominant team for about a decade.

In baseball the teams that play in the Central and East divisions get WAY more coverage than the teams who play in the West

I don't know about this. It fluctuates based on the quality of the teams. The only 2 that consistently get a ton of coverage regardless of their winning percentage is the Yanks and Red Sox. I would say the Rangers get more coverage than any central team right now.

The Cards and Cubs ALWAYS get a ton of coverage. The Cubs usually suck really bad too. Yanks and Red Sox of course get way more coverage than anyone else. I mean, I know most people are in bed on the east coast when the West Coast games start so a lot of people out east dont pay attn to west coast sports. I get that.

It took the Rangers 2 years of being in the WS back to back to get some recognition haha.

In the national sports media its always east>central>west

Well I think the Cards got a lot of coverage over the last 10 years because they had one of the 10 best baseball players of all time and have won 2 world series, not geography. Cubs definitely don't deserve the amount of attention they get but I don't think they get a TON of national love. How often are they on Sunday Night Baseball? They just get more love in Chicago than they deserve.

Just curious -- Do you guys get WGN in Cali? We get it in Detroit. Not sure if that is regional or national.

its nice to see others recognize how much coverage the cubs get. they literally havent been relevant since bartman.

but i suppose it just gives me more fuel the flame my cub-loving girlfriend with.

i see good fortune in the sox future. a week ago it would have seemed down right retarded to say that, but at the very least, this team has been nothing short of a roller coaster ride this season.

september-october: HATE

october-january: refusing to wear a sox cap

january-march: total indifference

april: HATE

may-june: Yay! we're not the worst! but, OUCH! more retarded injuries!

july 1-8: FUCK.

july 13-today: OMG WE HAVE A REAL TEAM AGAIN!!!!

ellsburys back, and unless he bitches out with another nonsense injury, hes certain to make an impact. and with crawford having INSTANT success last night (single and run scored in first plate appearance), i think wed all like to believe he can avoid the stress that he put on himself last year. most importantly with these two, they can finally steal some bases. it hadnt even crossed my mind until last night, that bostons barely been a threat to steal all year.

another significant piece to ells and carl returning is that guys like ross sweeney and nava have shown some serious value in their absences. not that i want to see any of them go (especially ross.. his swing is too good for fenway), but they could be decent trade bait in the next couple weeks.

with bailey nearing a return, the bullpen has the potential of getting scary good. aceves has been a solid closer this year, but he can literally do anything you ask him to. if bailey can effectively assume his closing position, ace can take over the set up man role, or leave padilla there and go back to being the lights out long relief man he was last year.

who knows, maybe the unthinkable happens, and bard gets his shit right and comes back. (but i doubt it)

what it really comes down to at this point is starting pitching. this first inning business needs to be fixed one way or another. the yankees series was a fkn joke. yankees runs scored in the first inning of each of the 4 games... 5,4,3,2.

even with all this going on, the bobby v. thing seems to have picked up so much negative steam, that it feels like it can ONLY improve from here on out. and with guys like pedroia (who's one of the many to reportedly have a cold relationship with the skipper) seeming to have his back now, i think guys are starting to realize that the petty bullshit isnt worth distracting themselves from games that they can and should win. even valentine seems to be taking a more honest and straight forward approach with the team.

it only took 3 1/2 months, but it feels like the pieces are all starting to fall into place.

but this is a town that loves relying on curses, so with all this said, we could find out that ortiz's little injury last night is actually season ending.

i seriously didnt mean to go beyond like 2 sentences with this post. my initial intention was to touch on where they stand in the division! with bautista going on the dl, thats likely to create some space between them and the jays. i think tampa is quickly running out of luck... the rays arent nearly as good as their record states.

usually youd hear that from me because im a total tampa-hater, but no one in that batting order is putting up good numbers.

and at some point, dont the orioles need to remember that theyre the orioles?

You are rushing to conclusions about Crawford. The guy was terrible when he did play last year, and has had setbacks in his recovery. Give it a week or two before judging him.

Doesn't A-Gon have back issues? Maybe it's not keeping him out of the lineup, but that is probably something that sticks around all year.

And the team you most have to worry about is the White Sox. Yanks are winning that division. I think Rangers win that division but Angels have a chance. Either way, one of them is a wild card. Tigers win the central. They played like dog shit early in the year and are only 2.5 back. They are finally putting it together and winning games. Would have taken division already if White Sox hadn't answered with 7-3 over their last 10.

So in my head, the White Sox are the team they are chasing to boot out of the playoffs.

Yankees for sure win the East.

Angels/Rangers win the West - the other is a wild card team.

Tigers should win the Central but I wouldnt count the Sox out yet - whichever team doesnt win will defintiley be in contention for the other wild card. If the Rays dont go into sell mode like Ive read they might, then they could still make a run at the wild card if they can get Longoria back.

You are rushing to conclusions about Crawford. The guy was terrible when he did play last year, and has had setbacks in his recovery. Give it a week or two before judging him.

Doesn't A-Gon have back issues? Maybe it's not keeping him out of the lineup, but that is probably something that sticks around all year.

crawford is a VERY tricky issue. im sure it seems im getting ahead of myself in being happy with a single, but as a fan of this franchise, all you can hope for is that last season was a fluke. thats not the guy they signed to a $142M contract. and by his own admission, hes said that most of his issues last year were mental. convinced by himself, his peers, the media, fans, etc. that someone making that much money should be a home run hitter. so instead of just being a fast motherfucker on the base paths, he tried to be a different player all together. just the fact that he was able to turn an outstretched, one handed swing into a single and a run scored is progress from our view.

gonzo only missed one game with a stiff back. the previous two were due to stomach sickness or something. but who knows.. thats just whats been reported.

were also seeing very positive signs from him. now that hes done with the right field bullshit, he seems to be back in his comfort level, and is producing more consistently. see last night: game winning 3 run homer. sure it was only his 7th of the season, but it sure was a big one.

and im totally aware of what the current playoff picture is. and really, the ONLY way they can be legitimate contenders for october ball is if like 90% of what i talked about up there works out.

and as i write this, lester is lucky to get out of the first with only two runners crossing the plate. again.. this first inning shit is absurd.

edit: forgot to mention this, but the youkilis thing is laughable at this point. as soon as hes dealt, middlebrooks goes down, youk goes off, middlebrooks comes back VERY quietly, and now ortiz is potentially facing the DL.

edit edit: ells singles steals second. crawford singles him in, steals second. gonzo singles him in. and here we go... :lol:

The Cards and Cubs ALWAYS get a ton of coverage. The Cubs usually suck really bad too. Yanks and Red Sox of course get way more coverage than anyone else. I mean, I know most people are in bed on the east coast when the West Coast games start so a lot of people out east dont pay attn to west coast sports. I get that.

It took the Rangers 2 years of being in the WS back to back to get some recognition haha.

In the national sports media its always east>central>west

Cubs are on WGN for half of their games - that's why they get that national coverage. does not take away from the fact they are terrible, TV makes it what it is.

Cards are not too prevalent in Chicago... hear more about the Brewers...red sox, yankees, AL EAST (the only division in baseball?) :)

the coverage does make me mad about the cubs sometimes - it drives up my season ticket prices because people pay more to see the cubs in general.

crawford is a VERY tricky issue. im sure it seems im getting ahead of myself in being happy with a single, but as a fan of this franchise, all you can hope for is that last season was a fluke. thats not the guy they signed to a $142M contract. and by his own admission, hes said that most of his issues last year were mental. convinced by himself, his peers, the media, fans, etc. that someone making that much money should be a home run hitter. so instead of just being a fast motherfucker on the base paths, he tried to be a different player all together. just the fact that he was able to turn an outstretched, one handed swing into a single and a run scored is progress from our view.

Blaming it on trying to hit too many homers seems like a cop-out to me. He's just trying to say "Hey, I got a reason for playing bad so get off my back media". Sometimes, guys just lose it when they move teams. Plus, he's no spring chicken and the nagging injuries have racked up. Sometimes they just have bad years and who knows why. I don't buy that the decline in production was because he was swinging too hard.