MLB Discussion

The 125 win Yankee team always mentioned is the 98 Yankees. 114+11 postseason wins. Some people say that was the best team ever because of all those WINZ and they got RINGZ later. The 116 win Cubs had a better winning percentage (.763)! against 36 losses and didn't win the World Series and neither did the 116 win Seattle Mariners who lost 46 games.

The Matt Cain performance was mentioned as one of the best ever because of the amount of strikeouts. Simply put he got more outs via strikeout than balls put in play. People would argue in that case wouldn't a 20 strikeout game be better but that would depend on the amount of hits, walk, HBP's and putouts (also depending on the type). In that case someone could throw 160 pitches to reach that number. So it is what it is...a debate. Don't know if Matt Cain's game is the best ever but its gotta be up there.

The 125 win Yankee team always mentioned is the 98 Yankees. 114+11 postseason wins. Some people say that was the best team ever because of all those WINZ and they got RINGZ later. The 116 win Cubs had a better winning percentage (.763)! against 36 losses and didn't win the World Series and neither did the 116 win Seattle Mariners who lost 46 games.

The Matt Cain performance was mentioned as one of the best ever because of the amount of strikeouts. Simply put he got more outs via strikeout than balls put in play. People would argue in that case wouldn't a 20 strikeout game be better but that would depend on the amount of hits, walk, HBP's and putouts (also depending on the type). In that case someone could throw 160 pitches to reach that number. So it is what it is...a debate. Don't know if Matt Cain's game is the best ever but its gotta be up there.

thank you for making me feel like much less of a doucher

I would have to consider a perfect game a better performance than any 1-hit game, I dont care how many guys he struck out.

A perfect game is just that, perfect. A 1-hitter, not perfect.

this was his only his fifth start ever in the majors, only allowed two baserunners, a single and a HBP, in 9 innings. no walks, 20 K's, against a team that had Bagwell, Biggio, Alou and Bell, and were sitting in first at the time. Plus, only two pitchers in the history of MLB had 20 K's in a game prior to Woods. Clemens in the 80s and Randy Johnson in the 90s. thats it, no one else ever. Not Koufax, Ryan, no one else. Woods was responsible for 20 of the 27 outs, he only relied on his defense for 7 outs!!!! in 9 innings! come on, you cannot seriously think that is not the greatest pitching performance ever

guys... the best game ever pitched was Larsen's perfect game. he did it on the biggest stage possible, against a team full of hall of famers when the talent pool was less diluted.

Larsen only struck out 7, meaning the rest of his team had to come up with 20 outs for him. a team that was also filled with future HOFs. so while a perfect game in the world series is neat, he didnt pitch nearly as dominant as kerry woods did in a game to game comparison

guys... the best game ever pitched was Larsen's perfect game. he did it on the biggest stage possible, against a team full of hall of famers when the talent pool was less diluted.

Yeah that one is up there for sure. Thats a lot of pressure against the best team in the NL (pre-divisonal play too!) That was game 6 right?

Also LOL @ the old school argument of diluted talent pool. There better medical procedures out there that keep players playing longer (Tommy John and Anterior Capsule Surgery for pitchers) and more advanced scouting in which players can be evaluated. That and around that time there were still racial barriers to playing baseball and less international talent in baseball. So yeah....

I've always wondered how Mets fans felt when their team was awful, and now as a Phillies fan I know. This is awful can it just be the 2013-2014 season now...

Im terrified for next season. How much money is tied into Howard and Utley who might not even be able to play well next year due to their injuries? Halladay and Lee will be another year older, Rollins will be making too much money, Hamels might not be around, Victorino might not be around. They dont have anyone that can step up and replace that level of talent and wont be able to afford any top talent to lure in. The Win Now philosphy was great in 07-10, but man, its biting us in the ass now.

And on the topic of which game is better, I dont equate more Ks as a better pitching performance. Maddux is one of the best pitchers and he got by on control and location, causing the hitters to make bad contact and drive the ball into the ground. One could argue that makes one a better pitcher than just throwing 100 mph and striking everyone out.

And on the topic of which game is better, I dont equate more Ks as a better pitching performance. Maddux is one of the best pitchers and he got by on control and location, causing the hitters to make bad contact and drive the ball into the ground. One could argue that makes one a better pitcher than just throwing 100 mph and striking everyone out.

I dont disagree with you on that, and Maddux was a far better pitcher than Woods when you look at them career-wise, but this is talking about a single game performance, and while forcing bad contact/ground balls helps make a pitcher great, it still relies on good/great defenders behind him to field the ball and throw accurately. Woods didnt have to worry about that for 20 of the 29 batters he faced in that game, which justifies that one game performance being more impressive than other 1 hit/no-hit/perfect games.

My issue with the Woods game is the HBP. Had he not hit a batter than I can easily see the case you are making. But how can you say he did better than a perfect game when he hit a batter? Giving up one hit isnt bad considering how much he was pounding the zone (see the 20 K's) but he hit a guy. That is far from perfect in my eyes. Better than a no hitter? Yeah I can see that since he didnt walk a guy and you could say that they even each other out, but not better than Cain being perfect with 14 K's.

I've always wondered how Mets fans felt when their team was awful, and now as a Phillies fan I know. This is awful can it just be the 2013-2014 season now...

try being a red sox fan.

holy shit dude

"The previous pitcher to throw consecutive one-hitters was Dave Stieb for Toronto in September 1988, according to STATS LLC. The Mets said the last to do it in the National League was Jim Tobin with the Boston Braves in 1944, according to research by the Elias Sports Bureau."

42 2/3 innings w/o an earned run.

this was his only his fifth start ever in the majors, only allowed two baserunners, a single and a HBP, in 9 innings. no walks, 20 K's, against a team that had Bagwell, Biggio, Alou and Bell, and were sitting in first at the time. Plus, only two pitchers in the history of MLB had 20 K's in a game prior to Woods. Clemens in the 80s and Randy Johnson in the 90s. thats it, no one else ever. Not Koufax, Ryan, no one else. Woods was responsible for 20 of the 27 outs, he only relied on his defense for 7 outs!!!! in 9 innings! come on, you cannot seriously think that is not the greatest pitching performance ever

Strikeouts really don't compare well across eras. Not as bad as wins, but still. It's not a coincidence that all the 20 K games have come in the last 25 years or so.

And if you are gonna judge this way, I don't think the stat to justify it with is the number of defensive outs. A guy can blast two balls just foul and whiff on the 3rd for a strikeout, the pitcher barely missing giving up a run. A pitcher can also get a ton of weak nubbers and pop-flys that are really terrible at-bats. The best thing to look at would probably be hard hit balls that resulted in outs.

who is this kerry WOODS character guy you're speaking of? :) you can't expect to make an argument about a guy that you're not even spelling correctly...

cubs fan/season ticket holder here.

the game Wood pitched with 20K was great...however, I do think there have been a few better games. Cain's game was better... not saying by that much... but it was better.

also, the Phillies are in bad shape looking forward. old bad contracts, other teams around them getting better and are younger. the window for Philly is closed... but it will reopen over time, I'm sure.

TRUMBO!!

hahahahahahahahahahahahaha Holy shit this lady is fucking mental. What a miserable old bitch.

She makes quite a leap from long hair being a problem to it leading to the use of drugs/PHDs to being generally a good person and somehow touches on gay marriage and all kinds of other nonsense in under 4 minutes.

Trout went like 2-3 games without a hit and Im like oh well I guess the slump had to come sometime and then he gets a hit last nite, steals 3 bases and scores a run without anyone else getting a hit in the 1st inning. If thats the kind of slumps he's going to have I think I'll be ok with that haha. Oh and he also broke out of that 0-10 "slump" with a RBI double against the Dbacks the other nite to, I believe, put them ahead.

This guy literally does everything you could ask of a player to help you win a game, he's unbelievable. We all knew he would be good but I dont know if anyone expect him to be this good this soon.

Im hearing Wells may get released when he gets off the 60 day DL. Thats a huge chunk of change to swallow but they cant even find playing time for Bourjos right now so I have no idea how Wells is going to ever crack the starting line up. Its not my money, I hope they cut him. I dont want Wells taking even 1 AB away from Trout, Hunter, Trumbo or Bourjos.