MLB Discussion

Dude Peter Bourjos for RA Dickey is like suggesting I wish the Tigers would trade Andy Dirks for Felix Hernandez. Not a chance in hell of that happening. Bourjos and Trumbo for Dickey is more realistic.

Whether you like him or not and however old he is, he won the frickin Cy Young last year. Not gonna come for a 3rd / 4th OF and a bag of baseballs.

Oh I know they will have to include more than Bourjos to get that done, I said that in my last post. They wont include Bourjos and Trumbo in a deal though cause then Wells becomes a starter again and we definitely dont need that to happen. I could see them sending Bourjos/Morales to NY for Dickey....probably have to include a prospect as well.

I dont think Dickey is bad but I dont think he's really as good as he was last year either. Whoever trades for him is going to give up too much to get him and I dont want the Angels to do that. If it costs Bourjos/Morales to get that done then I dont want that trade.

I'd rather the Tigers didn't trade Castellanos for Dickey and we need Rondon to fill bullpen holes, but it they traded any of the other prospects to get him I would love it. I'd send Rick Porcello, Avisail Garcia, and any of the B prospect starters they have (Casey Crosby, Drew Smyly, etc) for RA in a second.

I'd lock him into 2 years, $22 million immediately as well. I seem to be the highest on him out of anyone in the thread though. Back-to-back 1 hitters! Wtf...

Hahaha I was waiting for u to come in here and basically say exactly that.

It's true.  I'm just sitting back and waiting for the two LA teams to explode.  Throwing away that much money on players is not a sustainable way to run a team.  The Yankees and Red Sox are a perfect example of that.

This time last year everyone thought it was going to be the Marlins v the Angles in the World Series and neither made the playoffs.  The AL West hasn't produced a World Series championship team since 1991.  That's the longest drought in all of baseball.  Signing Josh Hamilton is not going to end that drought.

I love my tigers but the Angels had a better record than them, and didn't even qualify for the wild card. Signing Hamilton took a couple wins away from Texas, and added them to the Angels. Should be a playoff team, and that's all you can do -- get in and hope you get hot at the right time.

I love my tigers but the Angels had a better record than them, and didn't even qualify for the wild card. Signing Hamilton took a couple wins away from Texas, and added them to the Angels. Should be a playoff team, and that's all you can do -- get in and hope you get hot at the right time.

Exactly! Its December, no one is takling about whats going to happen in the World Series, at least no one on this board except crime. This guy acts like the Angels are some horrible team just cause he's got some issue with them. They played in one of the toughest divisions last year and didnt live up to expectations. If they were in the AL Central they would have won the division. If the team who went to the WS was in the AL west they would have finished 4th and not even been close to making the playoffs.

Also the Angels have signed 2 players in the history of their team to $100M+ contracts. They were always very conservative with giving out contracts like that. Only in the last 2 years have then gone a little crazy with big deals. Look who those 2 guys are....Pujols and Hamilton. Two of the best players we've seen in a long time. They werent over spending for guys like Crawford or Werth. The Pujols deal was a bit much but they really wanted him, they had the money and they stepped up and got it done. I think this Hamilton contract is really fair fot the team and the player. How many 5 year contracts have teams given out that at the end of the them the team was going....God dammit, I wish we woudlnt have done that, it really ruined our team? Pretty much never. This wasnt some ridiculous signing. They arent just throwing tons of cash at every free agent on the market. Does signing those guys automatically mean they are going to win it all? Obviously not but I dont think anyone here was claiming that either.

Exactly! Its December, no one is takling about whats going to happen in the World Series, at least no one on this board except crime. This guy acts like the Angels are some horrible team just cause he's got some issue with them. They played in one of the toughest divisions last year and didnt live up to expectations. If they were in the AL Central they would have won the division. If the team who went to the WS was in the AL west they would have finished 4th and not even been close to making the playoffs.

Also the Angels have signed 2 players in the history of their team to $100M+ contracts. They were always very conservative with giving out contracts like that. Only in the last 2 years have then gone a little crazy with big deals. Look who those 2 guys are....Pujols and Hamilton. Two of the best players we've seen in a long time. They werent over spending for guys like Crawford or Werth. The Pujols deal was a bit much but they really wanted him, they had the money and they stepped up and got it done. I think this Hamilton contract is really fair fot the team and the player. How many 5 year contracts have teams given out that at the end of the them the team was going....God dammit, I wish we woudlnt have done that, it really ruined our team? Pretty much never. This wasnt some ridiculous signing. They arent just throwing tons of cash at every free agent on the market. Does signing those guys automatically mean they are going to win it all? Obviously not but I dont think anyone here was claiming that either.

Yes, because all MLB conversations start and end at this board.

The main problem with the Angels... Look at 1-5 in their batting order. Then look at 1-5 in their rotation.... Are they just trying to score 10 each game and then give up 9?

Yea thats the main problem. Im sure Bourjos will be gone soon and they will be adding another starter. Everything Im reading is still saying the most likely thing is a trade involving Bourjos and Dickey.

Weaver is elite, Wilson is very good and after that its pretty shitty. If they can add Dickey and have Hanson and Blanton as their 4-5 starters its a pretty good staff.

Its kinda funny, not too long ago the Angels were all about pitching and defense and had a great staff but couldnt score runs. Now they have no staff but a great offense.

The Angels arent done so we'll see what happens in the next week or so but I expect their staff to improve very soon and their pen is a bit improved over last year as well. It would be hard to have a worse pen than they did last year.

Yea sounds like it could get done tonite too. Oh well, Angels shouldn't have a tough time trying to trade Bourjos. I'm just anxious to hear what the trade is going to be exactly.

I read a thing today saying the Angels should keep all the extra outfielders til the trade deadline in case someone goes down. Not sure if I'd rather have them do that or improve the rotation now, after Weaver it's a big drop off to Wilson and after him it's a huge drop off to the rest of the staff.

Your love of the Angels has warped your idea of what you think Peter Bourjos is worth. His best season at the plate isn't good and his last season was much worse. If just being a good defender was enough, it would be easy to find someone in the minors to come up and defend while hitting .220. He's worth about a #5 starter, if that.

I'm not expecting them to land some great pitcher with just Bourjos, they didn't even hardly let him play last year. He was pretty solid the year before that though when he got a chance to start. He's an incredible defender and he was decent at the plate in 2011. 12 HRs and a .270 avg. Not great but for a plus defensive CF there's a lot of teams that would give up something decent for him. I think they can and will get something better than a 5th starter. We'll see though.