MLB Discussion

Last year of his deal, and they managed to snag a really nice pitching prospect. Seems like a smart move, although I think Choo can still perform and may put up decent numbers next year.

On another note, I don't love the Sox targeting Dempster, last year or this year. I know MLB trade says "Dempsterhas thrown at least 170 innings with a 7.7+ K/9 in each of the last five seasons however, one of only four pitchers who can make that claim."

But there is no way, especially in that park, you can argue he is a great acquisition for what I'm guessing he'll cost. Can you?

http://news.yahoo.com/why-mets-trade-r-dickey-probably-wont-122000654.html

I agree with his assessment of the situation, but disagree with the conclusion of what they should do. If they can get him for 2 years, $20 million (or a little more), I would jump all over that. If you get 2 years like 2010 / 2011, it is still a great contract (200 innings at a low 3s ERA for $10 million? Who wouldn't want that for their team). If you get 2012 production, it is arguably the best contract in baseball for someone past their arbitration years.

I also think they are right to ask for a team's #1 and #2 prospect if they are going to trade him away.

Youk is a jackass. One of the biggest egos on the Sox and that says quite a lot.

Anyone else surprised to see the Choo trade happen?

they have been talking about this on the radio all day today.  it's sound like a good deal but to be honest i only pay attention to the indians, so i have no idea who those other guys are.   what are you thoughts.

I was surprised that the Diamondbacks got rid of Bauer for Choo. I understand getting rid of Choo for the Indians, and he is still a quality player who had offseason issues that contributed to his slump  last year but getting Bauer in return was huge for the Indians. There is always the chance that he turns out to be a total bust but he was perhaps the best pitcher in the minors last year and many were excited to see him get called up last year. Im just kinda shocked that the Diamondbacks pulled the triggers as I think the Indians are the clear cut winners.

So I'm assuming the lineup as is would start Trout / Kendrick / Pujols / Hamilton?

You don't really want to mess with a good thing, but if the Angels somehow got true leadoff hitter (not knocking Trout. That guy would be incredible at any spot 1-9), moved Trout down a spot (so hopefully this new leadoff hitter was on base for him w/ his power), and then it went Trout / Pujols / Hamilton, that might be worthy of the term "murder's row".

What do you think they do at 3rd? Seems to be the glaring weakness of the offense.

Agreed. 3rd and the rotation are where the holes are.

Trout CF

Kendrick 2B

Pujols 1B

Hamilton LF

Trumbo RF

Morales DH

Aybar SS

Callaspo 3B

Iannetta C

Weaver

Wilson

Hanson

Richards

Blanton

I expect something like that to start the season. Maybe flip Aybar/Kendrick or Trumbo/Morales and maybe Iannetta hits 8th or something.

Hope they can flip Bourjos for a nice young starter. I don't want Dickey.

If I was GM for the Angels, I trade Trumbo or Morales for a 3B. Bat Bourjos 9th. Even if he hits like last year, he gives you great defense and doesn't hold up Trout on the basepaths. Double steals are always fun plays.

Trumbo to Washington for Ryan Zimmerman or Anthony Rendon, with some complementary players / prospects to balance out the contracts / values and make everything work. Angels fill the biggest hole in their lineup, Nationals clear a player logjam at 3rd, let Laroche walk, and upgrade 1B. Morse goes back to the OF. Not saying it would happen, just trying to make up a plausible scenario where it could happen.

Trumbo really needs to be a DH or 1B, right? I'm just assuming with his body. Maybe he could even bulk up more then!

They arent trading Trumbo or Morales. I would take Zimmerman for Trumbo in a heartbeat though.

Didnt they just lock up Zimmerman long term like last year though? I dont think Zimmerman is going anywhere. Plus the Angels dont really have any complementary players/prospects to give up. They traded them away to get Greinke last year haha.

Trumbo should be at 1B or DH but can get by in the OF. Last year was the first time he had ever played in the OF and I think he will improve out there a little. He's still not going to be very good out there. Just gotta hope his bat makes up for it.

Maybe they work out a deal with Philly? Bourjos and something else for Lee? I can dream right?

I know Philly wants to get some money off their books and they need a CF :)

Yea Bourjos or Trumbo are about to get dealt somewhere but Dipoto already said he wasnt going to trade Trumbo and I think they can get more for Bourjos anyways and they already have someone who can play CF. Then again, Dipoto said they werent going to make anymore big moves just yesterday.

I dont think they are too concerned with 3B to be honest. Collaspo plays decent defense and can hit a little bit, he had a pretty rough year last year at the plate but thats really the only hole this team has in their line up and its not that bad. What they could really use is some pitching and Bourjos could probably get a nice pitcher in return. There's already talks of the Angels being interested in Dickey. I'd prefer someone younger who doesnt rely on a knuckball but whatever, I wouldnt be bummed if they traded Bourjos for Dickey but they will have to include more than just Bourjos to get that done. I think within a week Bourjos is traded for a starting pitcher.