MLB Discussion

I dont understand the Phillies giving up what they did to get Revere, and then being able to trade spare parts for the likes of Young and still have the Rangers eat half his salary. You think that this would be the trade where they gave up the better players. Glad to have Young on the team, always thought he was a great player and incredibly undervalued by the Rangers.

Seems like an overpay for the Royals but it gets them a pair of high end arms. I wouldn't have included Odorizzi, but I'm biased following him as a Brewers prospect.

The more I think about it the less I think it's an overpay on the Royals part, but the Rays sure got a heck of a lot of upside in this deal.

That's a great trade for Davis. I felt he was lost in the shuffle last year (was he not in the Rays bullpen for most of the season).

I think 2012 he was pretty effective out of the bullpen, lost his spot in the rotation, but he can work to get that back in KC.

Orriduzzi can be a beast, but not sure how playing in the AL east will affect him...

Is Davis really that great? People (not here but elsewhere) are talking like the Royals got two aces in this deal while I feel like people are overvaluing Davis and because it is the Royals where he can be a number two it doesnt mean he is that great. I am glad to see the Royals make the trade and show the fans and the players they are trying to improve and getting Shields is a great step towards that. Losing Myers is tough, but as always, you take the sure thing over the prospect that hasnt been proven yet.

The positive spin -- Davis is 6-5 late 20s pitcher who is coming off a 2.4 ERA season (although as a reliever). I think he throws upper 90s but not 100%.

The negative spin -- The two years before this were decent, but unspectacular. Low 4s ERA and whip in 1.3s.

Even if he reverts back to the more mediocre years, a 4 ERA and 1.3 whip in the AL makes you probably a #3 or #4 starter (not specifically on the Royals, but across all teams).

I'd take that for my team all day!

Thats how I feel too Mike. I think that keeping him in the pen will be a smart move as the Royals have some young arms that can come up soon and fill out the back end of the rotation. Keep Davis as a strong arm in the pen instead of a mediocre starter. Bouncing a guy from starting to relieving too many times can really start to screw with them.

Hochevar has been a consistently bad pitcher his whole career (5.39 career ERA) and his best year as a starter is worse than Wade Davis's worst.

If you believe that you take your best pitchers and make them starters, Davis is without question a starter.

If you believe that Davis will have a 4.2 ERA as a starter and a 2.3 ERA as a reliever, tough call. Starters are more valuable but you also want quality innings over quantity. Definitely significant K difference (giving it everything for 1 inning vs. pacing yourself). If Davis can pull an ERA at least a bit under 4 as a starter he is more valuable there than as a reliever.

My call? I give Davis a rotation spot and see what he can do. If it doesn't work out, easier to go starter -> reliever than reliever -> starter. But I base that entirely on wanting Davis to succeed and not how it effects Luke Hochevar.

Is Davis really that great? People (not here but elsewhere) are talking like the Royals got two aces in this deal while I feel like people are overvaluing Davis and because it is the Royals where he can be a number two it doesnt mean he is that great. I am glad to see the Royals make the trade and show the fans and the players they are trying to improve and getting Shields is a great step towards that. Losing Myers is tough, but as always, you take the sure thing over the prospect that hasnt been proven yet.

I don't have any stats or what not, so I'm just going off of memory here, but from what I saw he's a pretty solid starter. He's not going to be an elite pitcher, but I wouldn't complain if he was on my team. I'd say a very effective 3rd or 4th man in your rotation that you can rely on. Pretty good K man too.

fuck him.

6th member of the 04 team to join the yankees.

here's a fun story

chanting "johnny damon" in the fan concourse at the end of the yankees/royals game where he went 6/6 with the game winning RBI back in like 2008

for real though. dude played his ASS off for the sox, hated to see bobby fucking valentine ever questioning that.