MLB Discussion

I'm not really saying I am for them or against them. I just wish we really knew their effects from scientific, medical studies. We know they increase our bodies ability to produce muscle. We know they can cause hair loss, acne, and shrink your balls.

Everything else is speculation.

Mike - have you seen much of that mess? They couldn't fill it last year with a decent team. I have to agree as well that the centerfield statue thing is ugly as all sin. 

I do like the aquarium behind home plate though. 

I saw the daytime strippers in the left field club dancing on the tables during the all-star game (was it the all star game?)

The stadium looks nice, just not really made for a baseball team. The huge sides that can open and have the air rush in knocking balls down is made for football not a baseball team. The view is nice I am sure, but not when it kills your team cause they cant hit it out of the infield. Though I will say i enjoy the aquarium too.

Even though it's apples versus oranges in a sense, but what's everyone's opinions on Adderal in relation to professional sports? I've never taken it personally, but I do know of some kids who have popped some before playing football in high school to get them amped up. Not really sure how it could affect their performance other than adrenaline maybe since it's an amphetamine.

now the nats have someone who can close out a game 5 in a divisional series. AM I RIGHT, D.C.?

carlos ruiz had an apeshit season last year and it turns out he was taking adderall. granted his BAbip was pretty high so his high batting average can be attributed somewhat to luck, but the dude's batting average and power has increased pretty steadily during his career... i don't find much of an argument against it considering it's a legal drug. and you don't see anyone taking away dock ellis' no-hitter that he threw on acid.

also, i hate how they call PEDs "PEDs." painkillers are PEDs. a cortisone shot could be considered a PED. selig and the player's union wanted to draw a line somewhere but i don't know if it's in the right place.

adderall is a banned stimulant in MLB, but if you can have a medical exemption for it for something as simple as ADD.  

I know this is an extreme example, but what if you had a medical prescription for steroids? I know they exist. Not sure what ages usually get them but it's not unreasonable to think that someone the age of Omar Visquel or Julio Franco could have obtained one. What would they do then? Say you can replace testosterone that you have lost to old age but cannot greatly exceed the level that a normal 30 year old would have?

Also, I remember reading after Ruiz got caught with it that there are something like 2 or 3 times the national average of people "with ADD" in baseball, a sport that requires tremendous patience and concentration...

I am against adderall being used as a drug. Even though my favorite player (victorino) uses it as he has ADD (and has claimed to since he came into the league and well, look at him, he is a sure fire example of someone that has it) I think they should find another drug that can have the same effect. They are getting an extra boost from the drug and while it may not be huge, it can make the difference in a double header of a day game after a late night game that went extra innings. Now that player has an extra pick me up while the non ADD player with aging knees and a bad back is dragging out of bed. Yes I know that greenies and everything else has always been used to give players an edge but that doesnt mean I have to like it.

I'm no medical doctor but I don't understand how a stimulant is supposed to calm someone down.

It wont for the normal person, it is a huge upper, but when you have ADHD or ADD or whatever bullshit diagnosis you have for extra energy it makes the mind work a bit slower by having all parts fire correctly. Basically, instead of just getting the rush in one spot of the brain, it makes all parts have the equal chemicals and synapses firing and such that they are all on par with the average person.