MLB Discussion

There is no way we could bet this for real but I would wager that the odds are better that RA Dickey wins the Cy Young with 3 years left in his career than D'Arnaud wins an MVP and maybe even just a silver slugger in his entire future career. We aren't talking about a Steven Strasburg / A-Rod / Ken Griffey "can't miss" prospect. Guys with his scouting report flame out all the time.

He's a good prospect and they got an OK deal. I wouldn't have done it but I can't say they got screwed.

Look at Dickey's track record in the AL though.  I just have a hard time buying into DIckey being able to repeat his past couple of years performance in the AL East.

That aside the fair weather Jays fans are coming out of the woodwork.  Despite how the team does this year, they've definately boosted ticket sales for the beginning of the season.

The AL East thing is way overblown.

2947 runs scored by the 4 teams other than Toronto in their division

2724 runs scored by the 4 teams other than the Mets in their division

223 more runs / (162 games * 4 teams) = .34 higher on the ERA on average for the league change.

And actually, that is total runs not earned runs, so the difference might be even less. Plus the Yanks are another year older, the Red Sox are rebuilding, and the most improved team in the division is the one he doesn't have to pitch against. If the dude throws the exact same quality of pitches as last year and all that changes is the hitters he is facing, he will have another sub-3 ERA year. With an offense behind him, he could add a couple more wins too.

I don't think the league change will hurt.

Thee have just traded/signed a lot of "star" players... I just keep thinking about the Philly Eagles from a few years back, when they got all those stars and their personalities couldn't commingle. There are a lot of different player types they brought in. Including a former banned roid user. I think this will be a very interesting season either way.

As a Mets fan, I approve of this Dickey trade. Dickey sucks balls in AL games (look at his game against the Yanks last season). Not to mention they FINALLY got a catcher who can actually play the position for the first time since Piazza. I liked Thole's heart but he wasnt a catcher. I Iiked Shoppach but he wasnt very good. I liked Dickey but didnt want to pay him as much as he wanted. Not to mention hes 37 and I honestly dont think he will do what he did last season next season. 

^ As a Mets fan, how did you miss the back to back one hitters Dickey threw against Tampa Bay and the Orioles? Both 90+ win teams in the AL East and he struck out 25 batters combined.

I do agree that the trade is good. His value would have never been higher and we got 2 potentially great players in return (if they pan out.) The Wilpons suck and are broke and are lying about their finances. Mets better win soon but I really hope the Wilpons sell the team.

I'm gonna miss Dickey.

As a Mets fan, I approve of this Dickey trade. Dickey sucks balls in AL games (look at his game against the Yanks last season). Not to mention they FINALLY got a catcher who can actually play the position for the first time since Piazza. I liked Thole's heart but he wasnt a catcher. I Iiked Shoppach but he wasnt very good. I liked Dickey but didnt want to pay him as much as he wanted. Not to mention hes 37 and I honestly dont think he will do what he did last season next season.

Not worried about his AL output. He has a nasty set of different knuckleballs that could make him useful into his mid-40's.

Shoppach was a better defensive catcher than Piazza. His defense was just overlooked by his top 3 position offensive numbers.

Does anyone remember how Piazza was twice in one season.

Well looks like the Angels are keeping Bourjos and Trumbo. They traded Morales to Seattle for Vargas who is like a 4-5 starter. I guess on the Angels staff he could be slotted 3rd though ahead of Hanson and Richards. Now Trumbo can DH and they can have 3 center fielders playing the OF.

Well looks like the Angels are keeping Bourjos and Trumbo. They traded Morales to Seattle for Vargas who is like a 4-5 starter. I guess on the Angels staff he could be slotted 3rd though ahead of Hanson and Richards. Now Trumbo can DH and they can have 3 center fielders playing the OF.

Vargas was a great pick-up for them. With that offense and some nice bullpen pieces, you don't need a dude to carry the game. You'll get a lot of 6 inning, 3 run games, which will turn into Angels wins. The career WHIP of 1.3 shows that he actually can pitch and wasn't just a product of old Marlins stadium and Safeco. I'd rank him behind Hanson and ahead of Richards, assuming Hanson is healthy.

Plus, you don't really want to tie up your DH spot the way they had. If you have a player like David Ortiz, you deal with it. But it is nice to have that spot to give guys rest days but keep their bat in the lineup, or to play guys with mild injuries until they heal.

Talent is about a wash (maybe Morales is a little more talented) but the trade makes perfect sense for the Angels given depth. Good trade.

Rick Porcello trade rumors are really going around Detroit. Would love it if they could send a package to Texas and get Andrus or any other of their young infielders.

Ideal trade would be something like Boesch, Peralta, and Porcello for a SS, but I doubt there is any chance that is getting it done for Andrus.