MLB Discussion

It'll happen again. Think you are overreacting to a little big of a lull. If we were talking about guys with 4 or 5 hundred wins, yeah, no way. But about a third of 300 game winners came in the 90s or later (started in the 80s). It's not like they were throwing 320 innings a year. Most maxed out around 250, just like guys today. Just gotta give it time. Most of us have 60 years ahead of us and baseball will be going long after that...

exactly.

Also anyone else think that Selig went easy on Bruan since he was a Brewer? No one else has taken a deal, Arod is supposedly going to get hit hard because of his lying and blocking the investigation, which Braun has been lying about for two years as well. Selig looks great for punishing a top star, and his team isnt losing anything because they are doing bad as it is.

has absolutely nothing to do with it.  its not his team, its mark antistasio's team.

I like the deal the Angels made to send Downs to Atlanta. Rasmus' numbers look pretty solid.

Now if we could just get someone to take Pujols and/or Hamilton!

Hopefully Pujols has been struggling due to this heel injury. Sit him out and let him get better for the rest of the year and hopefully he can come back healthy next year and somewhat return to form.

Rasmus is probably a middle reliever at best. ex first rounder that just didn't pan out

i thought the same thing, travis, but keith law didn't like him much. not saying that what law says is law (no pun intended) but scouts must see something the stats don't show. considering the braves are so good at developing pitching, i don't understand why the angels would again take another pitcher from them that's not meeting expectations.

Also anyone else think that Selig went easy on Bruan since he was a Brewer? No one else has taken a deal, Arod is supposedly going to get hit hard because of his lying and blocking the investigation, which Braun has been lying about for two years as well. Selig looks great for punishing a top star, and his team isnt losing anything because they are doing bad as it is.

i get why people question selig and his allegiances to the brewers but does he really have that much of a secret agenda in favor of a team well in his past? it's no longer his legacy to be concerned with.

i would be so upset if a-rod only gets an extended ban and not a lifetime ban. to see him run away with $60 million for not playing and being a fucking dirtbag is unacceptable. although i'm reading all over the place that organizations are really digging into players' contracts with their lawyers to see if there are ways to nullify/void/whatever their contracts.

in other news, i read an article posted via ESPN about old timers sticking up for pete rose now. basically, why does braun get 60-something games and rose gets a lifetime? i don't want to argue about what's worse because when it comes down to it they both affected the game in ways that are incalculable to us. so if we're talking about actions that undermine the integrity of the game, but we cannot determine exactly how much, then why are the punishments vastly different? clearly the offenses were committed in two different eras. but i think braun's ruling is just as much commentary on PEDs as it is on how lenient drug testing still is. pete rose really ought to be reinstated, or the mlb goes all or nothing with the PED punishments.

in other news, i read an article posted via ESPN about old timers sticking up for pete rose now. basically, why does braun get 60-something games and rose gets a lifetime? i don't want to argue about what's worse because when it comes down to it they both affected the game in ways that are incalculable to us. so if we're talking about actions that undermine the integrity of the game, but we cannot determine exactly how much, then why are the punishments vastly different? clearly the offenses were committed in two different eras. but i think braun's ruling is just as much commentary on PEDs as it is on how lenient drug testing still is. pete rose really ought to be reinstated, or the mlb goes all or nothing with the PED punishments.

The answer of why it is (not what it should be) is that there used to be so little money in baseball that players could be bought (the prime example being the Black Sox scandal), so people became hypersensitive to gambling in baseball and came down hard against it.

Today, the players and managers make so much freaking money that they really couldn't ever be bought. What are you going to do, pay Miggy a couple million to throw a series? This hasn't been the norm for that long. So now when we look back we think "all he did was make some bets and never bet against his team. What's the big deal?" But the rule is pretty clear:

Rule 21 MISCONDUCT, (d) BETTING ON BALL GAMES, Any player, umpire, or club or league official or employee, who shall bet any sum whatsoever upon any baseball game in connection with which the bettor has a duty to perform shall be declared permanently ineligible

So the question really isn't about how the rules should be enforced. The question is why is betting on baseball still a lifetime ban first offense but PED use has the graduated system of punishment.

Betting has no place in baseball and Rose knew what he was doing. Can't even make a weak Bonds-esque "I thought it was flax seed oil" argument. What's he going to say? He was trying to bet monopoly money? Keep him out and make the steroid rules stricter. Don't let one wrong make the other one seem lesser.

anyone want to help me petition to major league baseball to make fernando rodney put his fucking hat on straight?

I'm sure that is high priority right now. Maybe they can just add him on to the bottom of the Biogenesis list and take care of it.

Pretty funny comment, though. I'm assuming he shot an arrow in the air after he closed it out against you guys tonight?

perhaps im not following, isn't the goal to win every game?

edit: as you can tell, i have never bet on sports of any kind in my life

Well what if runs his starter into the ground because he thinks that's his best shot at that specific game? What if he empties the bullpen without any concern for who is available the next night?

A manager needs to have the long term interest of his players and his team in mind, not just one game. 

Well what if runs his starter into the ground because he thinks that's his best shot at that specific game? What if he empties the bullpen without any concern for who is available the next night?

A manager needs to have the long term interest of his players and his team in mind, not just one game.

Yep. Or simply put, just tries harder in games with money on the line and is disinterested in the others.

Dudes are free to bet all they want on football, hoops, hockey, horse racing, competitive eating, whatever. No need to make room for betting on baseball from the clubhouse.

I believe (but could be wrong as it has been years since I read his book) that Rose did bet on the Reds, but always that they would win. He also makes comments that betting on baseball wasnt as rare as we think by players/staff. I believe that he should be in the HOF as a player for pretty much the same reasons that Mike T stated.

July 30, 2013

Dear Brewers Fans:

This past week has been an admittedly difficult time for everyone who loves the Milwaukee Brewers, including our fans, our corporate and community partners, and employees. We share your frustration and disappointment with the news of Ryan Braun’s suspension and the mistakes that Ryan has made. We want you to know that we take this matter very seriously.

We recognize that Ryan has many steps ahead of him to regain your trust and respect. This process will take time, and the road to redemption for Ryan will not be easy. Our responsibility as an organization is to help Ryan appreciate the difficult task ahead of him and to assist in the healing process. At the same time, during this frustrating season, we want to reaffirm what the Brewers stand for as an organization. We believe everyone at the Brewers is accountable to each of you every day, and it is a team effort to meet that responsibility. We have an obligation to ensure that our players give maximum effort at all times. We also remain committed to providing you with the best experience at Miller Park. And we appreciate the tremendous loyalty and support you continue to demonstrate to the team. We never take your passion and our strong relationship with you for granted.

Starting this week, we will be introducing a series of initiatives to reaffirm our commitment to you and all of our fans throughout Wisconsin. We know that these initiatives are not a substitute for success on the field, and our primary mission remains to have a perennially competitive team. As we have previously stated, no single player defines the Milwaukee Brewers, and the success or failure of our organization is not tied to the performance or behavior of any single player. Within the clubhouse walls reside many talented players who will be the centerpieces of what we hope are the next great Milwaukee Brewers teams. This abiding belief is reflected on the cover of our 2013 Media Guide where six players are pictured. We have always maintained that any success the team experiences on the field is not possible without our fans, and we ask you to continue to be a part of the success of our organization.

We deeply appreciate your loyalty, patience, and understanding. On behalf of the entire Brewers organization, you have my pledge that we will overcome these current challenges, and we will reward the best fans in baseball with a team that truly represents our community.

Go Brewers!

Mark Attanasio

Chairman and Principal Owner

they've already announced that every person attending a game will be getting a $10 food voucher through the rest of the season, more will be announced soon.

ahhhh makes perfect sense. thank you for laying it out for me!

Giambi with the walk off last night. Woo!

color me shocked that he is still in the league. thought he retired ages ago haha

Is it 2001 again? Because I thought it was when I got that ESPN notification on my phone last night

Haha

ahhhh makes perfect sense. thank you for laying it out for me!

color me shocked that he is still in the league. thought he retired ages ago haha

Nope. We picked him up at the beginning of the season, along with Dice-K, but he was injured. I think we may have released him?

Haha

Nope. We picked him up at the beginning of the season, along with Dice-K, but he was injured. I think we may have released him?

I didn't think he was injured, he just didn't make the big league team. Regardless, he's actually pitched extremely well his last few starts in the minors, the beat writers have been tweeting about it. Not that there is any chance he'll be in the bigs barring several injuries.