MLB Discussion

I thought when they news first hit of the players on the biogenesis list that they said there was quite a few more players on it and more big names that would come out later. Now that all the suspensions that have been handed down it seems Bastardo is the biggest unanounced name on the list.

The whistleblower in this case has said things like "I was thoroughly unimpressed by the way MLB handled this situation and I will not leak anymore names. However there were NFL, NBA, and athletes from other sports visiting the clinic".

Not a direct quote, but generally true. So it might come down to whether the feds squeeze anything out of Bosch.

what the fuck is he doing in the lineup tonight? does this seem beyond absurd to anyone else? i mean, it's not like he's just saying "hey, i'm gonna beat this, and i'll play until you decide otherwise". he's literally making his first appearance of the season the same day that he gets hit with a hammer seemingly swung by triple h.

and why would the yankees even want him there during this?

The whistleblower in this case has said things like "I was thoroughly unimpressed by the way MLB handled this situation and I will not leak anymore names. However there were NFL, NBA, and athletes from other sports visiting the clinic".

Not a direct quote, but generally true. So it might come down to whether the feds squeeze anything out of Bosch.

Ahh thats right, I forgot about the claims of other sports having atheletes going there, maybe that is what he was alluding to.

what the fuck is he doing in the lineup tonight? does this seem beyond absurd to anyone else? i mean, it's not like he's just saying "hey, i'm gonna beat this, and i'll play until you decide otherwise". he's literally making his first appearance of the season the same day that he gets hit with a hammer seemingly swung by triple h.

and why would the yankees even want him there during this?

my only guess is because they paid him out the ass and will now never recoup that money, can't even pretend now

my only guess is because they paid him out the ass and will now never recoup that money, can't even pretend now

They just can't not at least give him a chance. Nothing to do with trying to win (which he might help with, but who knows). A player is allowed to play on appeal and not playing him would essentially be the team circumventing the appeal process and giving him their own guilty verdict, without a hearing.

They just can't not at least give him a chance. Nothing to do with trying to win (which he might help with, but who knows). A player is allowed to play on appeal and not playing him would essentially be the team circumventing the appeal process and giving him their own guilty verdict, without a hearing.

he's only got until thursday, correct?

but again, the team has seemingly been delaying his return for over a month. why would they bring him back literally the day it's announced that his career is essentially over?

he's only got until thursday, correct?

He technically hasn't appealed yet, I believe. His suspension starts Thursday, which he will immediately appeal and keep playing until the appeals process knocks him out for a long time.

I wonder what the wording on his sentence is, though. He was supposed to be suspended this year and the next. So if he plays say 15 games past Thursday does that mean he is suspended the first 15 games of 2015? I don't really know. I'm sure it will be made clear, though.

but again, the team has seemingly been delaying his return for over a month. why would they bring him back literally the day it's announced that his career is essentially over?

They don't have a choice. It was just coincidence that his rehab finishing coincided with the Biogenesis ruling.

I mean, maybe they coulda brought him up yesterday or given him one more day down on the farm tomorrow but on that level, there's really almost no difference.

Team is in the playoff race and their 3B have been absolutely terrible this year. Team has to do what they can to win. This could even make a difference.

yeah, espn stats & info twitter won't fucking shut up about it

He technically hasn't appealed yet, I believe. His suspension starts Thursday, which he will immediately appeal and keep playing until the appeals process knocks him out for a long time.

I wonder what the wording on his sentence is, though. He was supposed to be suspended this year and the next. So if he plays say 15 games past Thursday does that mean he is suspended the first 15 games of 2015? I don't really know. I'm sure it will be made clear, though.

I read it has a suspension through the 2014 season, not s set number of games. So games played now wouldn't carry over.

No idea if true, everyone else got 50 games but I think he was different. That or the decided to go real arbitrary and give him 211.

the grievance appeal must be made within 10 days of the start date of the suspension, and the hearing is supposed to happen within 21 days of the appeal, and then the arbiters are given up to 30 days to submit their written response to the hearing.  during the entire process a-rod will be able to play and get paid.  so given that, 61 days, a-rod wont miss a game this year.  so then a-rod would miss all of 2014 and at least the first 50 games of 2015.  I dont think, at this point, MLB can chance the length of penalty, but I think after hearing the evidence, the arbiters can increase/decrease the penalty as they choose.  so a-rod could be out much longer if MLB can convince the 3-person panel.

also, did anyone else hear about this? i had no idea this even happened. that 6-run rally boston had against seattle maybe would've never happened!

Thompson, who is filling in for Mariners manager Eric Wedge while he is recovering from a mild stroke, came out to the mound to make a pitching change in the bottom of the ninth inning Thursday night in Boston. Thompson pointed to the bullpen with his left hand, then tapped his right arm with his left hand, signaling his desire for right-handed pitcher Yoervis Medina.

But plate umpire Dustin Rackley, backed by crew chief Gary Darling, said that by pointing with his left hand, Thompson had signaled for a left-hander, and left-hander Oliver Perezwas brought into the game. The Boston Red Sox rallied for six runs in the inning and won, 8-7.