MLB Discussion

So if the Dodgers win Wednesday, tall order but they do play well at home, can they steal game 6 against Meyers? If so, does Philly come back with Hamels against I would presume Lowe for a game 7?

I think they'd have to. He's clearly been their best pitcher.

Speaking of Lowe -- why'd Torre pull him after only 74 pitches last night? I was on a plane, so I didn't get home until right after Victorino's HR.

So if the Dodgers win Wednesday, tall order but they do play well at home, can they steal game 6 against Meyers? If so, does Philly come back with Hamels against I would presume Lowe for a game 7?

I think they'd have to. He's clearly been their best pitcher.

Speaking of Lowe -- why'd Torre pull him after only 74 pitches last night? I was on a plane, so I didn't get home until right after Victorino's HR.

No f-ing clue. Probably not a good idea in retrospect. Especially since he actually started getting better, not worse.

Can Hamels be effective on what would be, hopefully for my team, 2 days rest? Seems like it would be asking a ton of him. You'd almost have to go with Blanton, wouldn't you? At least he would have normal rest. Meyers, presumably would pitch a game 6 so he wouldn't be available for anything more than an inning. Moyer is most likely not an option.

Dude, Hamels is pitching tomorrow. He is sickening. Billingsley is pitching against him. He gave up, what, 7 earned runs last time against them? It's likely over. I wouldn't worry too much about game 6 and 7, as they're very unlikely to happen.

If game 7 miraculously happened, I'd imagine they'd go to Blanton rather than Hamels on 2 days. Moyer is not gonna pitch against the Dodgers again, I'd guess. I'm sure Hamels will be pitching tonight and then not again until the WS.

Dude, Hamels is pitching tomorrow. He is sickening. Billingsley is pitching against him. He gave up, what, 7 earned runs last time against them? It's likely over. I wouldn't worry too much about game 6 and 7, as they're very unlikely to happen.

If game 7 miraculously happened, I'd imagine they'd go to Blanton rather than Hamels on 2 days. Moyer is not gonna pitch against the Dodgers again, I'd guess. I'm sure Hamels will be pitching tonight and then not again until the WS.

Dodgers had so many opportunities against Hamels they didn't capitalize on because they got themselves out. Billingsley had one bad outing and suddenly he's chop liver? Dude was fifth in the NL in strikeouts. He had a 3.14 ERA all year and won 16 games. He's not exactly an easy guy to face. He certainly looked good against the Cubs. I know, right-handed heavy line-up.

Shit. Forgot Hamels was going tomorrow -- I can't imagine he'd pitch on two days' rest.

Only situation where it makes "sense" is a game 7 for an inning in an extra-inning game or something like that.

With that said, maybe you shift up the rotation and keep Hamels for either game 6 at home or game 7? I mean you want to close out a series as soon as possible so its a tough decision. But given that Blanton wasn't exactly great and you still won maybe you throw Meyes for a game 5 instead of Hamels?

Guest baseball

Lucky, I've never been to a playoff game. I'd love to go to one.

Rays are such a good story. Fox Executives are not stoked, but I'd definitely rather watch a Philly-Tampa series if it happens. I think it'd make a great series, but the Rays would definitely be the favorite. Amazing how deep that team's pitching is, and their offense can mash when they're going good.

Fox Executives are not stoked.

ratings would have been through the roof if it was an la/boston world series.

i'm not counting my sox out yet (recent performances aside any manager would be confident winning the next 3 with dice-k, beckett and lester on the mound). but if tampa does win i hope philly kicks the shit out of them.

Lucky, I've never been to a playoff game. I'd love to go to one.

This will be my first.

Although I had tickets to Game 7 of the 2002 WS reserved on Ticketmaster (before the WS started) and decided not to drop the cash on them. I figured the Series wouldn't go that far and I didn't want to have to deal with getting a refund. And I was a broke college student.

Worst. decision. ever.

Ugh.

Guest baseball

I think it'll depend on which versions of those pitchers show up. Beckett looked very off and Lester looked kind of tired. Also, Dice-K hasn't really been that dominant. He danced around a lot of trouble in the first game. The Rays look at a lot looser at the plate now than in game 1.

However, you can't discount the Red Sox with those 3 pitchers going. They could definitely turn the ship around. I think the Sox will take another game, but the Rays will close it out at home.