MLB Discussion

Took my break at 1 to come watch the ring ceremony. Did not take long for the water works to get started.

But goddamn the music selection has been brutal the whole time.

It's a few days old, but just found Papelbons comments after giving up 4 hits and two walks, including walking in the winning run on Wednesday.

The whole inning was kind of just one of those innings. You get a cue ball down the third base line. Then you get a double-play ball, which you think is the game-ending double play. It’s not,” Papelbon said. “My whole focus was get a ground ball, get a double play and get us out of the inning.”

Nothing like throwing your defense under the bus when you give up a 3-1 lead and had 5 pitches the entire inning hit the strike zone. But hey, what do I expect from a guy who turns an interview into about how Obama is taking our guns.

Took my break at 1 to come watch the ring ceremony. Did not take long for the water works to get started.

But goddamn the music selection has been brutal the whole time.

they broadcast dropkick doing the national anthem on the brewers broadcast, that was really terrible.  they didnt really cover much else of the ceremony, if they did, I wasnt paying attention.  what music did they play?

that desmond double ruling was ridiculous. that was some stupid little league bullshit upton pulled and got rewarded for. i just want zimmermann to get the win. is that too much to ask?

Yes. He wouldn't have got the win regardless. Nats baserunning today has been hilarious.

The replay makes it look really bad on Upton and frankly it was bad of him to react like that, even the Braves announcers called him out on that. But I'm guessing from his perspective the ball wasn't as visible as it seemed to be.

Short of a career ending injury, it's a certainty for Cabrera. He hasn't turned 31 and is signed until I believe 39 (last two of his deal are option years).

Only has to put up 150 hits a year and he'll cruise past 3k.

Arod will get there -- 61 away. I'd bet Beltre does. Needs 570 and is 35. Playing at such a high level now I could see 4 more years averaging 140 hits. Pujols has 2350. Will probably get there because he is signed for so long. Don't see Rollins or Beltran getting another 800 or so. Anyone else with more than 2200 is on the way out of the game (Abreu, Konerko, etc).

Then you start talking about guys like Cano. 1650 at 31 but signed for 10 years.

And of course, guys like trout, Harper, and machado have gotten off to a good start (established hitters at very young ages) but have a long way to go.

That was a good game up till the 9th when mujica juat sucked hard at pitching, sorry to ruin your opening day ry

i didn't get to see a single pitch, so it's no big deal. other than a loss. oh well.

Yes. He wouldn't have got the win regardless. Nats baserunning today has been hilarious.

The replay makes it look really bad on Upton and frankly it was bad of him to react like that, even the Braves announcers called him out on that. But I'm guessing from his perspective the ball wasn't as visible as it seemed to be.

nah, he knew 100% where the ball was. in the replays he even motions to it to the show the umps "hey, it's stuck." but it's not stuck because he just picks it up with no problem and hurls it in when they don't call the ground rule double. in his defense, though, umps almost always give it to the outfielder when he throws his hands up. just not this time. then again the ball was in plain sight. i guess it's neither here nor there because you're right, that desmond pick-off was embarrassing.

meanwhile, stanton just hit an absolutely mammoth home run. holy shit.

nah, he knew 100% where the ball was. in the replays he even motions to it to the show the umps "hey, it's stuck." but it's not stuck because he just picks it up with no problem and hurls it in when they don't call the ground rule double. in his defense, though, umps almost always give it to the outfielder when he throws his hands up. just not this time. then again the ball was in plain sight. i guess it's neither here nor there because you're right, that desmond pick-off was embarrassing.

meanwhile, stanton just hit an absolutely mammoth home run. holy shit.

Unfortunately the rules are the rules and "technically" that is always a ground-rule double no matter if its "playable". I don't get why they haven't figured out a way to prevent that from happening in the first place.

Puig is destroying his value with his amature decision making. Dude has 0 baseball IQ and pure physical talent.

what did he do this time? is it the caught stealing? (this is a serious question, i haven't been able to watch today's game but i just checked the box score)

i think i'm back on the melky bandwagon. he got largely written off because of last year (and coming off a PEDs suspension) but the dude had a herniated disc in his spine. he has two homers in two days. i think he could be a .290 hitter with maybe 15 HR and 10 SB or something. not 2012 caliber but still solid if he's batting in front of joey bats and edwin.

meanwhile, braun's thumb is allegedly not healed and i'm really starting to regret getting him in my auction league. it seems like the news hasn't really circulated since i haven't seen it on any websites, because all they're saying right now is it's a blister. but the blister is a result of the discomfort in his hand that's causing him to hold his bat differently. so i'm hoping i can ship him before the impending bad news breaks for real. i'd rather trade him for a middle-to-upper tier outfielder and a starting pitcher or some shit than deal with the risk. thoughts?

what did he do this time? is it the caught stealing? (this is a serious question, i haven't been able to watch today's game but i just checked the box score)

i think i'm back on the melky bandwagon. he got largely written off because of last year (and coming off a PEDs suspension) but the dude had a herniated disc in his spine. he has two homers in two days. i think he could be a .290 hitter with maybe 15 HR and 10 SB or something. not 2012 caliber but still solid if he's batting in front of joey bats and edwin.

meanwhile, braun's thumb is allegedly not healed and i'm really starting to regret getting him in my auction league. it seems like the news hasn't really circulated since i haven't seen it on any websites, because all they're saying right now is it's a blister. but the blister is a result of the discomfort in his hand that's causing him to hold his bat differently. so i'm hoping i can ship him before the impending bad news breaks for real. i'd rather trade him for a middle-to-upper tier outfielder and a starting pitcher or some shit than deal with the risk. thoughts?

Its a nerve issue in his thumb thats causing him to lose all feeling in his hand, similar to what victorino had surgery on, that apparently wasnt a succesa, so braun isnt considering it.