MLB Discussion

yankees pitching got every single call in the last couple innings. inside, outside, up, down. ump clearly just wanted to finish that one off and get home.

This video replay challenge is a complete cluster fuck, almost as bad as the NFL's replacement refs.

Definitely some major kinks to work out, just ask the Nationals yesterday. What I don't get is the new rule that if you've used your challenge pre 7th inning NOTHING can be reviewed in your favor until then.

The whole replay system sucks. They should drop it right now. They spent around $50 mil on it though, so it's hear to stay.

You guys see this one? http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-big-league-stew/imperfections-replay-evident-missed-call-yankee-stadium-214337773--mlb.html

Anyone else have to encounter the new rule on transfers on fly balls? Outfielder drops it taking it out of his glove and it isn't a catch. It's affected the A's 3 times already and is an absolutely awful rule. It leaves the base runners in complete limbo on what is a judgement call from an umpire. Infielder drops on a transfer? Catch. Outfielder? No catch.

The whole replay system sucks. They should drop it right now. They spent around $50 mil on it though, so it's hear to stay.

You guys see this one? http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-big-league-stew/imperfections-replay-evident-missed-call-yankee-stadium-214337773--mlb.html

Last night during the SNB game the commentators were talking about how the umps reviewing the plays don't even have all the camera angels that they show on tv.  Which is just stupid.  It also slows the game down a fair bit.  Which is strange, seeing has how it's been a top priority of MLB the past couple seasons to speed up the game.  

Apparently a lot of coaches have been complaining about it, so fingers crossed it doesn't last.

I'm still for it. There have been plenty of examples where they got the call wrong, reversed it, and the game went on. Would be interesting to see a breakdown of time spent arguing by managers this year and last, with the time savings bumped up against time in the replay booth.

Also, the way to speed the game up is call strikes and limit the time the pitcher spends with the ball in his hand. 10 times bigger effect on the length of the game than time spend reviewing plays (which despite problems with implementation, there is no reason not to have). Just get the calls right, who cares how they get there.

I'm still for it. There have been plenty of examples where they got the call wrong, reversed it, and the game went on. Would be interesting to see a breakdown of time spent arguing by managers this year and last, with the time savings bumped up against time in the replay booth.

Also, the way to speed the game up is call strikes and limit the time the pitcher spends with the ball in his hand. 10 times bigger effect on the length of the game than time spend reviewing plays (which despite problems with implementation, there is no reason not to have). Just get the calls right, who cares how they get there.

There is a rule that limits the amount of time; this is directly from the MLB rule book:

When the bases are unoccupied, the pitcher shall deliver the ball to the batter within 12 seconds after he receives the ball. Each time the pitcher delays the game by violating this rule, the umpire shall call Ball. The 12-second timing starts when the pitcher is in possession of the ball and the batter is in the box, alert to the pitcher. The timing stops when the pitcher releases the ball.

The intent of this rule is to avoid unnecessary delays. The umpire shall insist that the catcher return the ball promptly to the pitcher, and that the pitcher take his position on the rubber promptly. Obvious delay by the pitcher should instantly be penalized by the umpire.

The umpires never enforce it. 

I think they should limit the number of times you go to the pen in one inning. I'd rather see them focus on getting better quality arms in the pen then having all these LOOGY's and ROOGY's that slow the game way down cause you have three come in one inning.

Think this is also a significantly better suggestion than removing replay.

There is a rule that limits the amount of time; this is directly from the MLB rule book:

When the bases are unoccupied, the pitcher shall deliver the ball to the batter within 12 seconds after he receives the ball. Each time the pitcher delays the game by violating this rule, the umpire shall call Ball. The 12-second timing starts when the pitcher is in possession of the ball and the batter is in the box, alert to the pitcher. The timing stops when the pitcher releases the ball.

The intent of this rule is to avoid unnecessary delays. The umpire shall insist that the catcher return the ball promptly to the pitcher, and that the pitcher take his position on the rubber promptly. Obvious delay by the pitcher should instantly be penalized by the umpire.

The umpires never enforce it.

Seen it called once. I believe it was Rafael betancourt for the Indians (maybe Rafael Perez) against the Tigers. Was called twice in the same inning.

Think enforcing this should happen regardless of any other rule changes made. Allow time out occasionally and give a little flexibility if the guy is pitching pretty fast (maybe once in a while he shakes the catcher twice and it ends up at 15 seconds). Just keep the overall pace up. Can actually get a game in under 3 hours.

The time between pitches is by far the biggest issue in the game. It's both the hitter and pitcher to blame. Enough of stepping out of the box and adjusting between every single pitch. Looking for a sign is one thing, but strapping and unstrapping and touching and wincing and strapping again. And yeah, the Red Sox are as much to blame here as anyone.

The time between pitches is by far the biggest issue in the game. It's both the hitter and pitcher to blame. Enough of stepping out of the box and adjusting between every single pitch. Looking for a sign is one thing, but strapping and unstrapping and touching and wincing and strapping again. And yeah, the Red Sox are as much to blame here as anyone.

this is the truth.

truth.

listening to local sports radio last week and they were talking about this. they brought up how someone reviewed baseball games and such and there is only about 18 minutes of actual action on the field.

::EDIT::

this:

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424127887323740804578597932341903720

breaks down the time in a game. time between pitches accounts for an hour and 15 min.

the same can be said about football.

i'm just sick of people talking about replay as if it has anything to do with lengthening the game. because that minute or so that they're having a look is pretty much going to equal the tirade that the coach would have been on anyway.

as it was said on the previous page... replay system is obviously flawed right now- and you can imagine i'm quite sore about it- but i'm in 100% favor of getting it worked out, all in the spirit of making the correct call.

forget the whole challenge system. if a call is made incorrectly, the NY team should just interrupt and be all "hey. not quite guys." ohh, but then you get into the whole "not showing up your brethren" bullshit. 

I have only seen it happen a couple times (I only watch Red Sox games and the odd Tigers game) but from the few I've seen they've gotten it wrong every time. 

My big problem with it is that if the guys watching the replays can't see every angle then what's the point?  The point should be that someone can see every angle to make sure the proper call is made.