Google Chrome

brentoage

Could be neat. The latest Firefox made my Mac at work unstable, so it might be good to have a little competition.

Sounds like a problem with your computer, not Firefox.

I'll download Google Chrome. It'll remain in beta for probably 10-15 years though, haha.

One thing I'm worried about is that Firefox gets the majority of their funding from Google. The default search in FF and Google pays them a hefty chunk of change.

Could Google take that funding away from Mozilla?

I won't be switching from Firefox anytime soon -- the extensions make this browser too irresistible, but I welcome competition to the table. If Google can make a solid browser that gives us a healthy group including:

Internet Explorer

Firefox

Opera

Google Chrome

...and I guess for argumentative purposes you could include Apple's dull Safari.

This could really aid in pushing web browsers to new heights.

i read somewhere this morning that google has just signed on to continue their funding to mozilla/firefox and co. until 2011.

That deal was already in place. They'll still work together on various projects, this is just Google throwing their hat in the ring. It makes sense and they've done it with dozens of other internet realms, regardless of the "competition."

Google does a ton of shit with "competition". They also run (or ran) the ads for Ask.com, after their restructuring and rebranding.