Making the switch too all vinyl..

Guest kevinb

This idea has been in my head for awhile now, but i think im going

to get rid of my cd collection and replace what's reasonably priced

on vinyl... i just havent listend to my cd's in a lonnnnnng ass time.

the only reason im thinking about keeping them is to pass them

on to my kids, but i think vinyl is much more intamate & meaningfull....and for how much i spend on lps it would definetly help me out. anyone else face this problem?

i am looking to downsize my cd collection a few ways - picking up the LP for some of my favorites and unloading the cd, buying new on vinyl (digital if not available) only and ripping then getting rid of stuff that i never listen to but might in the future.

i hope to get down to about 1,000 cds which will allow me to get rid of a massive shelf

i dont know im on the fence about it because if i only get rid of albums i have lp its kind of dumb.. and id rather just keep the cds.. but if i get rid of them all id be getting a nice chunk of cash to spend on lp's. and id just make backups of the cds that arent on lp but im selling..

I still have my cd's I just don't buy new albums on CD unless I really like and it didn't come out on vinyl. Otherwise I just buy it on vinyl and do a needledrop so I can put it on my iPod. Plus some of the albums I have on vinyl are rare (the vinyl version that is) so if I keep the CD I don't have to play the record as much.

Luckily, I've always bought vinyl. The only CD's I have and will buy are singles, or other limited type things. CD's are worthless, and you'll find that when you go to sell them. But if you have 1000 and you get a buck a piece, well, that's a lot of money (though I cringe at how much was initially spent on them).

CD's are lame. If you're gonna collect vinyl, ditch the CD's. If it's not on vinyl, keep it. Otherwise, archive them to flac for good measure and call it a day.

Sell sell sell!

I can't part w/ my CD's (except when they're stolen)...can't play vinyl in the jeep and I spend faaaaar too much time in the jeep to hear silence...the last a-hole that stole my CD player from the jeep took half of my dashboard with it and all of the connector cables including the wiring for an antenna...so I put my old stock one back in...but it's kinda fucked and will only play real CD (no CDR's) and I'd rather just spend money on other stuff like...upgrading recording equipment and vinyl rather than another CD player....so for me....CD's will be here to stay for me. So I'd say keep them CD's boi.

P.S. so many extra songs on CD's as well new HoldSteady has 2 extra tracks that aren't on the Vinyl release. The Acoustic AM! CD has a few extra tracks. ect. ect....well, that's my 2cents