Dear new record collectors....

dante3000

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I know it's somewhere buried in DF and originally in VLV, but does anyone have that picture guide of how to properly pack and ship a record? That shit is tops!

I actually keep it bookmarked so when I do mail out stuff through trades/sales I can double check my work and make sure I did a good job.

http://www.deadformat.net/topic.php?id=4260

one thing that does piss me off is when you buy sell something and it takes forever for the person to ship it to you.Note I am not talking about pre-orders. If you buy something it shouldn't take more than a week to be shipped. If there's a reason you can't do that than fucking email the person and tell them straight up that it's going to take you a little bit. Most people will understand as long as you communicate with them. I ordered a record from a label a bit ago and I waited a month with no word before emailing. Never got a response so after a few weeks I emailed again. The guy told me that he had just shipped it out because he was waiting for the records from a distributer. If he had just told me after my first email I won't have bothered him with the second one.

Agreed. Lack of communication is the part that bothers me the most. If it's going to take you a while to ship, it's annoying but whatever, shit happens, no big deal to me as long as it shows up. But if I shoot you an email asking if a record has been shipped or not take the 30 seconds to say yes or no. Keep your buyer updated!

In addition, if you sell a record on ebay and it doesn't go for what you thought it would, absolutely not an excuse to not send it. You took a gamble to sell it in an auction and even if it went for $50 last week and I win it for $10 the next, well that sucks for you.

I agree with everything Dante said in the first post. I haven't had anyone flake on buying something I've sold on ebay before, but I have had several occasions on here and on DF where someone commits to buying something then I never hear from them again. It's really annoying.

This thread deserves to be stickied.

I'm guilty of this, but the times that it does happen are not intentional. I just forget and shit gets lost in my inbox.

I, however, do want to hear some stories from Dante. Share.

I'm with Dante!! I'm also having trouble with the new rules ebay has. I've been a seller since the late 90's off and on and never had trouble till the last 6 months or so. People are bidding and winning and just not paying, just flaking out because they found it elsewhere. Its not my fault they didn't do any research on the record and can find it cheaper. I can't leave any neg. feedback just a non paying bidder strikes witch doesn't seem to scare them.

Guest genericinsight
this is slightly off topic and irrelevant to the original post but heres something that irked me in the strangest ways that ill rant about. i just got done releasing a 7" and we did them all on black theres nothing limited from one over the other and that was made clear. however, after going through the boxes we found that one of them had the hole punched off-centered which then made the record play improperly. there was a post on message board from a user saying something like "hook it up with the rarest copy available" my friend responded with something like "hey dude theyre all the same but there is a /1 copy that doesnt play right" within the next 5 minutes we had about 10 messages from people trying to buy that copy. the fact that that many people wanted a record that didnt play properly was just mindblowing to me.

apologies for getting off topic.

Kind of like these two different folks on deadformat who wouldn't leave me alone for my Gaslight Anthem "Sink Or Swim" lp on black even after I told them it was damaged/scratched beyond belief. Both kids still wanted them. Ridiculous.

Kind of like these two different folks on deadformat who wouldn't leave me alone for my Gaslight Anthem "Sink Or Swim" lp on black even after I told them it was damaged/scratched beyond belief. Both kids still wanted them. Ridiculous.

to hear that makes me sad. about the record though, not the kids wanting it. that record is one of my biggest wants. but of course i'd want one that plays haha.

Guest genericinsight

to hear that makes me sad. about the record though, not the kids wanting it. that record is one of my biggest wants. but of course i'd want one that plays haha.

See, you make sense.

(For the record, I ended up selling it to one of those kids anyway because I needed some extra cash and he honestly would not leave me alone about it, even after I told him it was completely unplayable).

Guest genericinsight
what happened to it?

I assume you're talking to me in regards to the Gaslight lp...

It came brand new when I initially ordered it, it skipped repeatedly on multiple tracks on side one. I switched my turntable, same thing, and then noticed a HUGE scratch in one of the grooves. I'm not sure if that scratch was there before I played it or after but I'm sure it didn't help the skipping once it got there.