Dear new record collectors....

dante3000

...Please stop. I don't mind the increased interest in vinyl. I'm cool with the insane preorders, the crashed servers, the insane refreshing people do. I don't mind the skyrocketing prices of pieces that are just recently out of print, that were readily available a few weeks ago. I don't care that certainly labels are capitalizing and pressing things in 1,000 colors (I'm mostly just glad music is selling).

None of that shit bothers me. However, I'm sick to death of trading, selling and buying from kids who have absolutely no idea what they're doing. I can't take one more, "Actually, I just found this record so I canceled my bid" or "I didn't mean to bid that much, please understand" (apparently the person meant to bid $0). I'm tired of "oh my cover has a bent corner, can I get a refund?", "It took 4 weeks for the post office to get me my package I should get some money back" or "It's been 3 days since I paid, I assume you've already sent my record".

Learn these things when collecting (or just buying) records:

1) Shit gets bent in the mail. It's a fact. Buy a record online? Expect the cover to get some damage. Nothing shows up mint. Nothing. Is it a bummer, yes. Does it entitle you to a refund? No. Want to get your money back? Buy an insurance policy and take it out with USPS. See how sympathetic they are.

2) Few people on ebay are full time sellers. A week to send out a record is acceptable (especially when you get electronic notification when it ships and tracking). Ebay gives you 40 days to file a complaint for a reason.

3) Learn to pack a fucking record if you plan on trading/selling. Referring to #1 this isn't about superficial damage, but learn to package a record to avoid actually destroying it. A poly sleeve and cardboard isn't necessary (though I appreciate it) but putting a 7" in an envelope is bullshit. Putting a 12" in a mailer without packing is just as likely to cause damage as no mailer at all. Newspaper is cheap and works great for LPs.

4) Keep your fucking word. Never, ever balk on your end of a deal. Did you win an auction? Pay. Make a trade? Ship your record. The end. I've never had so many people fail on their end as I have in the past 6 months. It's frustrating, time consuming and costly in some cases. Never assume it's okay to not follow through on your end of the agreement. NEVER. Even if you're trading a readily available 7" that you can buy anywhere for a $1, you don't get to decide that you're not going to send it. You enter an agreement you follow through, that's adulthood 101.

Other than that, use some common sense. You follow that and I don't give a shit how insane you make preorders or how much you drive up that price on the clear Cuban Ballerina that I want to buy (I sooo want that record). Be a good dude and you're more than welcome here in vinyl world.

End lame rant.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

don´t really agree on the bend cover topic...in 99% records show up damaged due to poor packing jobs...i can even tell you up front whose labels records show up damaged and whose show up fine...it´s all about how good you package vinyl up....and i dont settle with the idea that online ordering means damaged covers and that I have to accept the fact...

what pisses me off the most is that people CANT FUKKEN GRADE RECORDS! vg+ means something like lay down on the highway for 3 months these days...

heres the solution to the madness thats been echoed time and time again. quit being a "collector" and get into listening to your records. obviously thats not going to happen but the "collecting" thing is so much more rampant in the past couple of years. im all for bands/labels being able to continue putting out new things but so many get their panties in a bunch for the most trivial things, ie color of vinyl/pressing info/3d glasses packaging. if you like the band and the record then you should pick it up to and listen to it. all that other stuff should be the least of your concerns. just be grateful that music youre into is once again hitting this format.

heres the solution to the madness thats been echoed time and time again. quit being a "collector" and get into listening to your records. obviously thats not going to happen but the "collecting" thing is so much more rampant in the past couple of years. im all for bands/labels being able to continue putting out new things but so many get their panties in a bunch for the most trivial things, ie color of vinyl/pressing info/3d glasses packaging. if you like the band and the record then you should pick it up to and listen to it. all that other stuff should be the least of your concerns. just be grateful that music youre into is once again hitting this format.

what i hate about this rant, which has been echoed by kyle time and time again is you seem to believe this whole idea of collecting is mutually exclusive from the idea of enjoying the format.

I get what you're saying and for the most part I agree. However, I consider myself a collector of a few bands and even I'm not so foolish as to care about minor crap. As long as the cover is recognizable and the record plays, I'm happy. That isn't to say I don't appreciate the efforts of Virgil with the Gaslight Anthem euro pressing incident, but I wouldn't have been upset if they showed up with damaged covers.

what i hate about this rant, which has been echoed by kyle time and time again is you seem to believe this whole idea of collecting is mutually exclusive from the idea of enjoying the format.

i understand its different strokes for different folks but i get a whole lot more out of the format from a listening standpoint. obviously you can be a collector too and enjoy the format but i just think the listening side of things should take a huge precedent over anything else and that seems to have flip-flopped in a drastic way.

i understand its different strokes for different folks but i get a whole lot more out of the format from a listening standpoint. obviously you can be a collector too and enjoy the format but i just think the listening side of things should take a huge precedent over anything else and that seems to have flip-flopped in a drastic way.

For a small section of people. Some people are obsessive that's just how it works. I order a record for everything involved. Part of the format is the oversized art, etc when compared to a CD. I like that art to come as undamaged as possible, like anything else I own.

don´t really agree on the bend cover topic...in 99% records show up damaged due to poor packing jobs...i can even tell you up front whose labels records show up damaged and whose show up fine...it´s all about how good you package vinyl up....and i dont settle with the idea that online ordering means damaged covers and that I have to accept the fact...

what pisses me off the most is that people CANT FUKKEN GRADE RECORDS! vg+ means something like lay down on the highway for 3 months these days...

I pack all my orders well but sometimes shit happens. I shipped the radio head discbox in the box it arrived in (and the only thing that could fit it) and it showed up mangled to the guys house. The packaging was fine but the post office fucked it up. The guy wanted me to refund him half the purchase price.

It happens sometimes and quite frankly cover damage isn't my greatest concern.

Now there are companies who repeatedly package things poorly and that (as I mention) is also unacceptable. However, I've had items shipped from labels and distros I know and respect and sometimes they're fine, sometimes they end up fucked up due to handling. The "it's going to get damaged" part isn't so much a fact as it is something you should be prepared to accept. I should make that clearer.

this is slightly off topic and irrelevant to the original post but heres something that irked me in the strangest ways that ill rant about. i just got done releasing a 7" and we did them all on black theres nothing limited from one over the other and that was made clear. however, after going through the boxes we found that one of them had the hole punched off-centered which then made the record play improperly. there was a post on message board from a user saying something like "hook it up with the rarest copy available" my friend responded with something like "hey dude theyre all the same but there is a /1 copy that doesnt play right" within the next 5 minutes we had about 10 messages from people trying to buy that copy. the fact that that many people wanted a record that didnt play properly was just mindblowing to me.

apologies for getting off topic.