Dear new record collectors....

dante3000

My only complaint about the new record collector is their lack of patience. I've been buying vinyl exclusively for at least 13 years. I have learned to be patient. Sometimes things take time to get to you. I see the "has this record shipped yet" threads pop up daily on record boards and it's annoying. With a few exceptions, In The Red from Rat Patrol being one of them, 99% of my record orders in the past 13 years have arrived. Some had minor damage, some where absolutely perfect. I have learned to accept it.

Be patient!!

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed.

I've received 7" in a fucking oversized envelope once...no other packaging and it was a birthday gift for my Girlfriend...took a month and a half to arrive and was obviously fucked up beyond playability when it arrived...fucking hate ebay

as far as other things...ordered a 10" and it was packed well...and somehow in shipping via USPS somebody stabbed a screwdriver through it?...dunno, clear punched hole about the diameter of a screwdriver straight through all four pieces of cardboard...the record dust cover and sleave....thankfully the seller was understanding and I greatly appreciated his benevolence

fucking hate buying records off of e-bay

What I love about Mr. Cool Ice is he has the tattoo on each arm as well...can't say the man lacks commitment.

Dude knows how to stick to it. I just wish I could have been in that parlor.

"I want 'Mr. Cool Ice' on my back"

"okay."

"And my arms"

"Uhm...alright"

"and both hands"

"what?"

"and sunglasses on the back of my head"

"Are you high?"

Dude is awesome.

I agree with everything Dante said in the first post. I haven't had anyone flake on buying something I've sold on ebay before, but I have had several occasions on here and on DF where someone commits to buying something then I never hear from them again. It's really annoying.

This thread deserves to be stickied.

one thing that does piss me off is when you buy sell something and it takes forever for the person to ship it to you.Note I am not talking about pre-orders. If you buy something it shouldn't take more than a week to be shipped. If there's a reason you can't do that than fucking email the person and tell them straight up that it's going to take you a little bit. Most people will understand as long as you communicate with them. I ordered a record from a label a bit ago and I waited a month with no word before emailing. Never got a response so after a few weeks I emailed again. The guy told me that he had just shipped it out because he was waiting for the records from a distributer. If he had just told me after my first email I won't have bothered him with the second one.

So much elitism.

How so? My post is basically asking people to follow common courtesy practices and show some understanding? The title is mostly to get attention. If you read I even welcome folks who are willing to be civil and logical.

Sorry if that's elite.

Was responding to the post above mine.

In my almost 20 years of record listening/collecting and at times trading, I have learned to be patient...but man, there are times when the wait time to get a damn record from a trade takes a lot longer than it really should. It all comes down to common courtesy and common sense.

Do not initiate a trade if you're not going to keep your end of the deal.

heres the solution to the madness thats been echoed time and time again. quit being a "collector" and get into listening to your records. obviously thats not going to happen but the "collecting" thing is so much more rampant in the past couple of years. im all for bands/labels being able to continue putting out new things but so many get their panties in a bunch for the most trivial things, ie color of vinyl/pressing info/3d glasses packaging. if you like the band and the record then you should pick it up to and listen to it. all that other stuff should be the least of your concerns. just be grateful that music youre into is once again hitting this format.

This.

So many newbies are buying records now just because they think they're 'collectibles', and thus refuse to take them out of the shrinkwrap, cry bloody murder if there's a corner ding etc. Frustrating.

heres the solution to the madness thats been echoed time and time again. quit being a "collector" and get into listening to your records. obviously thats not going to happen but the "collecting" thing is so much more rampant in the past couple of years. im all for bands/labels being able to continue putting out new things but so many get their panties in a bunch for the most trivial things, ie color of vinyl/pressing info/3d glasses packaging. if you like the band and the record then you should pick it up to and listen to it. all that other stuff should be the least of your concerns. just be grateful that music youre into is once again hitting this format.

This.

So many newbies are buying records now just because they think they're 'collectibles', and thus refuse to take them out of the shrinkwrap, cry bloody murder if there's a corner ding etc. Frustrating.

i've bought several records that didn't even have sleeves, how one goes about losing the sleeve and cover to a record, i don't really know. however, i just wanted to jam out. records are records and music is music.